Re: Removal request: madwifi, madwifi-tools - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Removal request: madwifi, madwifi-tools - Debian ; On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:35:35PM +1000, Kel Modderman wrote: > * a free driver (in fact 2, but only one present in Linux 2.6.26) exists > and works out of the box -> ath5k Can you propose a ...

  1. Re: Removal request: madwifi, madwifi-tools

    On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:35:35PM +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
    > * a free driver (in fact 2, but only one present in Linux 2.6.26) exists
    > and works out of the box -> ath5k

    Can you propose a backported ath9k patch to the kernel people?

    > * operation modes that may make madwifi more desirable than ath5k are currently
    > broken (#491731)

    What's the state of ANI in ath5k? bugs #463729, #493832 seem to come
    from the lack of ANI in ath5k.

    > * I lack the motivation to improve any of the points listed above, except for
    > the very first one, and I am the primary caretaker of the madwifi Debian
    > package and have always been so

    Will you still be around to fix issues in ath5k/ath9k? Both of them
    still need some work to be done. But I certainly agree that going for
    them is better idea than maintaining a dead-end closed source driver.

    --
    "rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups

  2. Re: Removal request: madwifi, madwifi-tools

    On Tuesday 16 September 2008 20:01:38 Riku Voipio wrote:
    > Will you still be around to fix issues in ath5k/ath9k? Both of them
    > still need some work to be done. But I certainly agree that going for
    > them is better idea than maintaining a dead-end closed source driver.

    I have recently left my home country and am on a 2 year Visa, and am therefore
    without any of my hardware collection or Atheros wireless equipment for quite
    some time to come. So my contribution to improve support for these devices in
    Debian is limited.

    Having said that, the following bundle of 12 patches really seem to improve (in
    terms of hardware support and performance) the ath5k version in mainline 2.6.26:

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...ries-8.tar.bz2

    Could the kernel team please consider lining them up in the features patch
    series.

    Thanks, Kel.