Just an idea - Debian

This is a discussion on Just an idea - Debian ; Hello dear maintainers, I would like to introduce you my idea, if it might be possible to add a new feature to cron-apt: ---- Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead whenever a security-whole was ...

  1. Just an idea

    Hello dear maintainers,

    I would like to introduce you my idea, if it might be possible to add a new
    feature to cron-apt:

    ----
    Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
    whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will only
    be started, when a security patch appeared.
    ----

    Yes, of course I can force this, when there is only security.debian.org in the
    sources.list, but this way I have always to change the sources.list, whenever
    I want to do a normal upgrade. Maybe this feature might be already
    implemented (but I did not find in in the documentation), maybe different
    sources.lists can be used for different apt commands ???

    This is just an idea, maybe someone likes it and wants to implement it. Sorry,
    I am no coder.

    If you think, this is stupid, excuse the noise.

    Kind regards

    Hans-J. Ullrich

  2. Re: Just an idea

    "Hans-J. Ullrich" writes:

    > Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
    > whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will only
    > be started, when a security patch appeared.

    As you're suggesting, this can be done by using a sources.list file
    for this specific purpose only. There is an example of how to do this
    in /etc/cron-apt/config (look for 'alternative sources.list file').

    //Makholm

  3. Re: Just an idea

    Am Dienstag, 16. September 2008 schrieb Peter Makholm:
    > "Hans-J. Ullrich" writes:
    > > Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
    > > whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will
    > > only be started, when a security patch appeared.

    > As you're suggesting, this can be done by using a sources.list file
    > for this specific purpose only. There is an example of how to do this
    > in /etc/cron-apt/config (look for 'alternative sources.list file').
    >
    > //Makholm

    Ah, yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Must somehow missed it in the
    config, although I read it.

    Thanks for the advice ! Shame on me.

    Cheers

    Hans

  4. Re: Just an idea

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:50:12 +0200, "Hans-J. Ullrich"
    wrote:

    > I would like to introduce you my idea, if it might be possible to add a
    > new
    > feature to cron-apt:
    >
    > ----
    > Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
    > whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will
    > only
    > be started, when a security patch appeared.
    > ----

    The package unattended-upgrades does exactly that.