Debian and non-free - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian and non-free - Debian ; OK, I know I'm reviving a long-time discussion, but here is a thought I just had. On debian-italian@ there's a thread [1] with people sponsoring gNewSense, goBuntu and the such, claiming they're "real free software", and others that say that ...

  1. Debian and non-free

    OK, I know I'm reviving a long-time discussion, but here is a thought I just
    had.

    On debian-italian@ there's a thread [1] with people sponsoring gNewSense,
    goBuntu and the such, claiming they're "real free software", and others that
    say that "a world without non-free wouldn't be possible, at this historical
    moment".

    I've replied linking to GR "Handling source-less firmware in the Linux
    kernel" (2006/07) [2] and the Social Contract [3], citing the winning
    resolution and point 5 of the Social Contract:

    ---8<---
    5. Works that do not meet our free software standards

    We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do not
    conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created "contrib" and
    "non-free" areas in our archive for these works. The packages in these areas
    are not part of the Debian system, although they have been configured for use
    with Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of the packages
    in these areas and determine if they can distribute the packages on their CDs.
    Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their use
    and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug tracking
    system and mailing lists).
    --->8---

    What really triggered my attention was this part:

    "Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we *SUPPORT* *THEIR*
    *USE* and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
    tracking system and mailing lists)."

    Thus, are we supporting non-free?
    I've always believed (read it somewhere, maybe a GR, or some thread on -devel,
    or just inferred from the above point, can't really say what, sorry) that we're
    just providing *some* infrastructure to non-free (such as BTS and lists.d.o),
    but not others (like buildds, for example, or security updates). All this just
    to support *our* *users*, not non-free itself. Am I wrong?

    Please don't take this as a provoking mail, I'm in NM, and God knows how many
    times I've read the Social Contract (and DFSG, and DMUP, and $policy) before
    applying ...
    Did I miss something?

    Kind regards,
    David

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-itali.../msg00448.html
    [2] http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_007
    [3] http://www.debian.org/social_contract

    --
    . ''`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
    : :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/

  2. Re: Debian and non-free

    On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 06:00:02PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
    > OK, I know I'm reviving a long-time discussion, but here is a thought I just
    > had.

    Please explain how this is related to Debian development and on topic on
    -devel rather than -project.

    Michael

  3. Re: Debian and non-free

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:05:11 +0200, Michael Banck wrote:

    > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 06:00:02PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
    > > OK, I know I'm reviving a long-time discussion, but here is a thought Ijust
    > > had.

    > Please explain how this is related to Debian development and on topic on
    > -devel rather than -project.

    Er.. you're right, just a mistake . I should've double-checked the address
    before sending

    Sorry!
    David

    --
    . ''`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
    : :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/
    `. `'` GPG: 1392B174 ----|---- http://snipr.com/qa_page
    `- 2BAB C625 4E66 E7B8 450A C3E1 E6AA 9017 1392 B174

+ Reply to Thread