Vcs-* fields policy - Debian

This is a discussion on Vcs-* fields policy - Debian ; Do we have a document regulating all the Vcs-* fields? What if I wanted to create a new one, specifically Vcs-TopGit, so that debcheckout could do the right thing? -- .''`. martin f. krafft : :' : proud Debian developer, ...

  1. Vcs-* fields policy

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user

    "writing a book about debian
    is like hitting a moving target
    with a champagne bottle cork."
    -- arky

  2. Re: Vcs-* fields policy

    On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:15:34AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > Do we have a document regulating all the Vcs-* fields? What if
    > I wanted to create a new one, specifically Vcs-TopGit, so that
    > debcheckout could do the right thing?

    Developer's reference, chapter 6.2.5; consider debcheckout the reference
    implementation.

    Can you please tell us a bit more about why it should be handled
    differently than and what would be the benefits?

    Cheers.

    --
    Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
    I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the

  3. Re: Vcs-* fields policy

    On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:21:29AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
    > Can you please tell us a bit more about why it should be handled
    > differently than and what would be the benefits?

    ^
    git

    --
    Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
    I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the
    XML stuff is so ... simplistic -- Manoj \/ right keys at the right time

  4. Re: Vcs-* fields policy

    also sprach Stefano Zacchiroli [2008.09.15.0821 +0100]:
    > Developer's reference, chapter 6.2.5; consider debcheckout the
    > reference implementation.

    Thanks. I was looking in policy.

    > Can you please tell us a bit more about why it should be handled
    > differently than and what would be the benefits?

    Well, TopGit needs to clone the so-called top-bases too, so in
    addition to the git-clone call, it needs a tg-remote call. I don't
    know how to make that happen using Vcs-Git.

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
    `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info

    "we have a firm commitment to nato, we are a part of nato.
    we have a firm commitment to europe. we are a part of europe."
    - george w. bush

  5. Re: Vcs-* fields policy

    On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 07:21:53PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > > Can you please tell us a bit more about why it should be handled
    > > differently than and what would be the benefits?

    > Well, TopGit needs to clone the so-called top-bases too, so in
    > addition to the git-clone call, it needs a tg-remote call. I don't
    > know how to make that happen using Vcs-Git.

    Just in these days I was thinking about improvement in git support for
    debcheckout. Would it make any sense to have an heuristic which does
    something if it recognizes a branch named according to the tg naming
    convention ("tg" IIRC).

    I understand it prone to false positives, but we can on the other hand
    add flags to suppress the default behaviour and TopGit is not a real VCS
    per se ...

    While we are at it, one of the other improvement I was thinking was to
    track per default all remote git branches after "git clone". Comments?

    Cheers.

    --
    Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
    I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the
    XML stuff is so ... simplistic -- Manoj \/ right keys at the right time

  6. Re: Vcs-* fields policy

    also sprach Stefano Zacchiroli [2008.09.15.2010 +0100]:
    > I understand it prone to false positives, but we can on the other
    > hand add flags to suppress the default behaviour and TopGit is not
    > a real VCS per se ...

    It's a patch management system built on top of Git, which integrates
    perfectly with Git. It rocks already, despite the many rough edges
    it still has.

    The only reasonable heuristic to identify a TopGit repository is to
    use to use git-ls-remote and look if the remote has top-bases:

    git ls-remote git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/topgit.git refs/top-bases/\*

    this means two network connections, but there is no other way;
    topgit is not a build dependency for packages using it.

    > While we are at it, one of the other improvement I was thinking
    > was to track per default all remote git branches after "git
    > clone". Comments?

    Sounds like something that should be configuratble in Git (but is
    not), so if you simulate it with debcheckout, please make it
    configurable too!

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
    `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info

    i feel like i'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

  7. Re: Vcs-* fields policy

    On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 08:29:48PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > The only reasonable heuristic to identify a TopGit repository is to
    > use to use git-ls-remote and look if the remote has top-bases:
    >
    > git ls-remote git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/topgit.git refs/top-bases/\*
    >
    > this means two network connections, but there is no other way;
    > topgit is not a build dependency for packages using it.

    OK, so, should I consider this reply of yours an ACK to implement TopGit
    support this way, without resorting to a new field in the Vcs-*
    namespace?

    If so, I would love a wishlist bugreport about it ...

    Cheers.

    --
    Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
    I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the
    XML stuff is so ... simplistic -- Manoj \/ right keys at the right time

+ Reply to Thread