Can anyone recommend a wireless usb ethernet broadband stick? - Debian

This is a discussion on Can anyone recommend a wireless usb ethernet broadband stick? - Debian ; i am wanting to buy a cheap wireless usb device to plug in my debian laptop so i can connect to the wireless router. does debian support any wireless usb device? or can i just buy any type? please recommend ...

  1. Can anyone recommend a wireless usb ethernet broadband stick?

    i am wanting to buy a cheap wireless usb device to plug in my debian
    laptop so i can connect to the wireless router.
    does debian support any wireless usb device? or can i just buy any type?
    please recommend if you are using one.
    also, i am looking for one that can offer the best speeds - i know that
    its impossible to get speeds as fast as through the ethernet cable, but i
    think some usb devices might be faster than others.

  2. Re: Can anyone recommend a wireless usb ethernet broadband stick?

    On 9/13/2008 2:36 PM PT, gnu joey typed:

    > i am wanting to buy a cheap wireless usb device to plug in my debian
    > laptop so i can connect to the wireless router.
    > does debian support any wireless usb device? or can i just buy any type?
    > please recommend if you are using one.
    > also, i am looking for one that can offer the best speeds - i know that
    > its impossible to get speeds as fast as through the ethernet cable, but i
    > think some usb devices might be faster than others.

    It depends on chipset IIRC. I heard an old DWL-120+ would work well
    under Linux. I never tried it.
    --
    "Even the sharpest ear cannot hear an ant singing." --Sudanese
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  3. Re: Can anyone recommend a wireless usb ethernet broadband stick?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:36:20 +0100, gnu joey wrote:

    > i am wanting to buy a cheap wireless usb device to plug in my debian
    > laptop so i can connect to the wireless router.

    Which Debian? Lenny, Sid, 32/64, &c?

    > does debian support any wireless usb device?

    Your question is ambiguous. It does support some USB wireless devices,
    but not all.

    > or can i just buy any type?

    Nope. Atheros USB is not working under any Linux flavour, for example.

    > please recommend if you are using one.

    The D-Link DWL-G122 Revision C1 is based on the rt73 chipset, and works
    under Lenny. The latest box has the tux logo and "linux support" on it.

    Even if it doesn't say that, check if it's a C1 firmware version. Others
    may not work. (Yes, I know: the B1 has been working under Linux, but is
    now mostly broken.)

    > also, i am looking for one that can offer the best speeds
    > - i know that its impossible to get speeds as fast as through the
    > ethernet cable, but i think some usb devices might be faster than
    > others.

    USB speeds are well short of gigabit ethernet :-) They are quite good
    enough for normal net surfing via xDSL, but will only connect to a router
    at the lower scale of speeds if plugged into a USB 1.1 socket.

  4. Re: Can anyone recommend a wireless usb ethernet broadband stick?

    "Mark Madsen" wrote
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:36:20 +0100, gnu joey wrote:

    >> does debian support any wireless usb device?

    > Your question is ambiguous. It does support some USB wireless devices,
    > but not all.
    >
    >> or can i just buy any type?

    > Nope. Atheros USB is not working under any Linux flavour, for example.

    Which is really weird btw, as my Atheros-based PCMCIA card works fine under
    Lenny. I wonder what's so different about the USB version.

    CC

  5. Re: Can anyone recommend a wireless usb ethernet broadband stick?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:53:26 +0100, Magnate wrote:

    > "Mark Madsen" wrote
    >> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:36:20 +0100, gnu joey wrote:

    >>> does debian support any wireless usb device?

    >> Your question is ambiguous. It does support some USB wireless devices,
    >> but not all.
    >>
    >>> or can i just buy any type?

    >> Nope. Atheros USB is not working under any Linux flavour, for example.

    > Which is really weird btw, as my Atheros-based PCMCIA card works fine
    > under Lenny.

    Yeah, I have had Atheros-based mini-PCI and Cardbus cards working under
    Ubuntu, Mandriva, AntiX, Fedora, and even Xandros (came on my EeePC).
    They work pretty well, and we now have free drivers for them with the
    arrival of ath5k and ath9k.

    > I wonder what's so different about the USB version.

    The key difference would be complete lack of driver support :-)

    They are significantly different, USB is essentially an external bus, PCI
    stuff is essentially an internal bus. Atheros themselves supplied the
    original blob for the PCI devices, they never supplied one for the USB
    devices.

    If you really need to use an Atheros USB wireless device, the choice is
    OpenBSD or nothing. But their driver development philosophy is very
    different.

+ Reply to Thread