cpu fan not running in laptop - Debian

This is a discussion on cpu fan not running in laptop - Debian ; I've been using debian for a long while then switched to ubuntu on my laptop for suspend to ram support. This week I decided to give lenny a try and installed it on the laptop. Everything seemed to go fine ...

  1. cpu fan not running in laptop

    I've been using debian for a long while then switched to ubuntu on my laptop for suspend to ram support.
    This week I decided to give lenny a try and installed it on the laptop. Everything seemed to go fine (except s2ram) but then I noticed that the fan never turned on. I made some tests with cpu intesive tasks and realised it actually never runs. I put on a xubuntu livecd and the fan was back again, when needed.
    My laptop is a 2004 acer travelmate290 with a 1.4 centrino and intel 855gm graphics. In 2004 it was running sarge and fan was ok.
    I noticed powernowd and was not installed and speedstep-centrino is not loaded at boot, though cpu scaled anyway.
    At boot I see a "gpe storm" acpi error. I tried passing acpi_osi="Linux" at boot and the message disappeared though still I have no fan running.

    Everything was fine with sarge, ubuntu 8.04 and its livecd but fan is not running in lenny. I think this is a very serious problem since cpu is overheating.
    What should I do?
    Leonardo

  2. Re: cpu fan not running in laptop

    Leonardo Canducci, 12.09.2008 tarihinde şöyle yazmış:
    > I've been using debian for a long while then switched to ubuntu on my laptop for suspend to ram support.
    > This week I decided to give lenny a try and installed it on the laptop. Everything seemed to go fine (except s2ram) but then I noticed that the fan never turned on. I made some tests with cpu intesive tasks and realised it actually never runs. I put on a xubuntu livecd and the fan was back again, when needed.
    > My laptop is a 2004 acer travelmate290 with a 1.4 centrino and intel 855gm graphics. In 2004 it was running sarge and fan was ok.
    > I noticed powernowd and was not installed and speedstep-centrino is not loaded at boot, though cpu scaled anyway.
    > At boot I see a "gpe storm" acpi error. I tried passing acpi_osi="Linux" at boot and the message disappeared though still I have no fan running.
    >
    > Everything was fine with sarge, ubuntu 8.04 and its livecd but fan is not running in lenny. I think this is a very serious problem since cpu is overheating.
    > What should I do?
    > Leonardo

    Is the module "thermal" loaded? On my laptop (Averatec 3250) the fan
    runs but on very rare occasions it stops running. If I notice it
    getting hot but the fan staying off, `modprobe -r thermal` followed by
    `modprobe thermal` brings it back on. Maybe you could try that.
    (When I tried suspending to disk many years ago, the fan wouldn't come
    back on when I resumed, but the same unload/load trick worked.)