Lenny - comparing sources.list - Debian

This is a discussion on Lenny - comparing sources.list - Debian ; Having a 404 error (wrapped); " W: Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis...b/binary-i386/ Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.36 80] W: Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis...ontrib/source/ Sources.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.36 80] E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ...

  1. Lenny - comparing sources.list

    Having a 404 error (wrapped);

    "
    W: Failed to fetch
    http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis...b/binary-i386/
    Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.36 80]

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis...ontrib/source/
    Sources.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.36 80]

    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
    ones used instead.
    "

    Offending lines are:

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib

    Therefore, I have presently commented them out (#).

    This is the entire list (wrapped):

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny non-free contrib
    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny non-free contrib

    deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free

    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

    # deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny-proposed-updates
    non-free contrib main

    # deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny-proposed-updates
    non-free contrib main

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib

    # deb ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian-multimedia/ stable main

    NOW, to my question; are these the correct URL's for the sources.list?

    Thanking you kindly,

    - sk8r-365
    --
    "Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
    himself. Can he, then be trusted with the government of others? Or have

  2. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Offending lines are:
    >
    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib

    I dropped the "us." from my version.

    > Therefore, I have presently commented them out (#).
    >
    > NOW, to my question; are these the correct URL's for the sources.list?

    They may well be correct, but the server may be experiencing a problem.

    I've had that happen on rare occasions.

  3. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    On 11.09.2008 sk8r-365 wrote:
    > Having a 404 error (wrapped);
    >
    > "
    > W: Failed to fetch
    > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis...b/binary-i386/
    > Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.36 80]
    >
    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    >
    > # deb ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian-multimedia/ stable main
    >
    > NOW, to my question; are these the correct URL's for the sources.list?

    Hello sk8r-365,

    IMHO these lines are not the correct ones. My /etc/apt/sources.list
    looks like this. Because I'm in germany, you must correct the lines with
    "us" for "de" and "unstable" with the "distribution" you use.

    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free

    deb http://debian.netcologne.de/debian-multimedia.org/ unstable main
    deb-src http://debian.netcologne.de/debian-multimedia.org/ unstable main

    deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib

    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

    Hth Michael

    --
    "Love is the only way to grasp another human being
    in the innermost core of his personality."

  4. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    Linonut made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Offending lines are:
    >>
    >> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    >> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib

    > I dropped the "us." from my version.

    Thank you, but that didn't work out so good. Bad URL's.

    - sk8r-365
    --
    "We may consider each generation as a distinct nation, with a right, by
    the will of its majority, to bind themselves, but none to bind the

  5. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    Michael Wagner made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > On 11.09.2008 sk8r-365 wrote:

    >> NOW, to my question; are these the correct URL's for the sources.list?

    > Hello sk8r-365,
    >
    > IMHO these lines are not the correct ones. My /etc/apt/sources.list
    > looks like this. Because I'm in germany, you must correct the lines with
    > "us" for "de" and "unstable" with the "distribution" you use.
    >
    > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    > deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    >
    > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
    > deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
    >
    > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
    > deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
    >
    > deb http://debian.netcologne.de/debian-multimedia.org/ unstable main
    > deb-src http://debian.netcologne.de/debian-multimedia.org/ unstable main
    >
    > deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
    > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
    >
    > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
    > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

    Michael, Thanks. I tried 'em without any errors. Not all of the list,
    such as *netcologne.de/* or what would have been a duplicate given your
    needs and mine; like not using experimental & stable vs. "lenny"
    inputs.

    My concern is not having my system advance as the distribution does.
    Tried netselect today but it wrote for a repository in western Europe.
    What!? U.S. servers must have been very busy at the time.

    - sk8r-365
    --
    "We may consider each generation as a distinct nation, with a right, by
    the will of its majority, to bind themselves, but none to bind the
    succeeding generation, more than the inhabitants of another country." -
    Thomas Jefferson

  6. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >> * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Offending lines are:
    >>>
    >>> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    >>> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib

    >> I dropped the "us." from my version.

    > Thank you, but that didn't work out so good. Bad URL's.

    Yikes, I don't know what file I was looking at to give you that garbage.

    My bad! Here's the real thing from both my main machines:

    deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r1 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST
    Binary-1 20070820-20:16]/ etch contrib main

    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

    deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free

    A fat-finger of the first order on my part!

    --
    Canada Post doesn't really charge 32 cents for a stamp. It's 2 cents
    for postage and 30 cents for storage.

  7. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    sk8r-365 writes:

    > Linonut made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >> * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Offending lines are:
    >>>
    >>> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib
    >>> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates contrib

    >> I dropped the "us." from my version.

    > Thank you, but that didn't work out so good. Bad URL's.
    >
    > - sk8r-365

    Try these:

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

    deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

    deb http://apt.wicd.net debian extras

    deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

  8. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    Linonut made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut made a definite or systematic statement of:

    >>> I dropped the "us." from my version.

    >> Thank you, but that didn't work out so good. Bad URL's.

    > Yikes, I don't know what file I was looking at to give you that garbage.
    >
    > My bad! Here's the real thing from both my main machines:
    >
    > deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r1 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST

    Thanks! I appreciate your all your time.

    --
    sk8r-365
    "I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America, the

  9. Re: Lenny - comparing sources.list

    Hadron made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > sk8r-365 writes:
    >
    >> Linonut made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >>> * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I dropped the "us." from my version.

    >> Thank you, but that didn't work out so good. Bad URL's.
    >>
    >> - sk8r-365

    > Try these:

    Thank you! Combined with the others, I think I have a strong, reliable
    set.

    --
    sk8r-365
    "I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America, the
    sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal inquiry
    too." - Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread