About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers - Debian

This is a discussion on About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers - Debian ; Hi, It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours. Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's ...

  1. About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    Hi,

    It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my
    DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours.
    Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's quite annoying as
    my client is complaining, and it's hard to say "gmail is wrong, they
    don't do like they should and like everybody does". My customer will
    just not trust that.

    Did any of you had this problem as well? Is there some specific things
    that gmail is doing, like running a specially crafted caching DNS? How
    much time should I expect to wait until it works correctly?

    Thomas

  2. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    Jose Celestino wrote:
    > Words by Thomas Goirand [Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 07:09:36PM +0800]:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my
    >> DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours.
    >> Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's quite annoying as
    >> my client is complaining, and it's hard to say "gmail is wrong, they
    >> don't do like they should and like everybody does". My customer will
    >> just not trust that.
    >>

    > How come it will not trust? Is gmail the reference? Don't recall that
    > being so...

    Do you really think that my customer is smart?

    Thomas

    P.S: Please, DO NOT write to me as Cc:, it's written everywhere that
    it's not the way to reply to a Debian list, and I'm registered...

  3. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    Seth Mattinen wrote:
    > Google does bad things, wrong things, and people think I'm wrong because
    > there's no possible way Google could be at fault.

    Exactly !!!

    Thomas

  4. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    i also have touble with gmail since couple a month ago or so. i just
    got so slow..

    On 9/11/08, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
    > Thomas Goirand schrieb:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my
    >> DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours.
    >> Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's quite annoying as
    >> my client is complaining, and it's hard to say "gmail is wrong, they
    >> don't do like they should and like everybody does". My customer will
    >> just not trust that.
    >>
    >> Did any of you had this problem as well? Is there some specific things
    >> that gmail is doing, like running a specially crafted caching DNS? How
    >> much time should I expect to wait until it works correctly?
    >>
    >> Thomas
    >>

    > Well gmail can sometimes be wrong like when they decided to rewrite
    > email headers of their users to hide the original IP of the sender.
    >
    > Manu

  5. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    Did you tried to contact them (google)? Try...

    edi

    Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
    > Thomas Goirand schrieb:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my
    >> DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours.
    >> Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's quite annoying as
    >> my client is complaining, and it's hard to say "gmail is wrong, they
    >> don't do like they should and like everybody does". My customer will
    >> just not trust that.
    >>
    >> Did any of you had this problem as well? Is there some specific things
    >> that gmail is doing, like running a specially crafted caching DNS? How
    >> much time should I expect to wait until it works correctly?
    >>
    >> Thomas
    >>

    > Well gmail can sometimes be wrong like when they decided to rewrite
    > email headers of their users to hide the original IP of the sender.
    >
    > Manu

  6. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    --
    Jose Celestino | http://japc.uncovering.org/files/japc-pgpkey.asc

  7. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 19:09 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my
    > DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours.
    > Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's quite annoying as
    > my client is complaining, and it's hard to say "gmail is wrong, they
    > don't do like they should and like everybody does". My customer will
    > just not trust that.

    So just prove to your client that the changes have been made by showing
    them the results from somewhere like dnsstuff.com and point the finger
    at Gmail for using broken dns resolvers/servers.

  8. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    Jose Celestino wrote:
    > Words by Thomas Goirand [Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 07:09:36PM +0800]:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my
    >> DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours.
    >> Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's quite annoying as
    >> my client is complaining, and it's hard to say "gmail is wrong, they
    >> don't do like they should and like everybody does". My customer will
    >> just not trust that.
    >>

    > How come it will not trust? Is gmail the reference? Don't recall that
    > being so...

    No, but many people certainly think so. If Google is doing it, they're
    obviously right. Here's a story I shared with spam-l a while back about
    a similar experience with one of my customers:

    ----------------
    I had a customer today complain that someone they regularly email (using
    gmail for domains) was being blocked by psbl.surriel.com. After looking
    at what the spamtrap had collected [from google spamming], it seems to
    be rather obvious why. I've been spammed by google/gmail personally.
    Nothing new to me.

    However, I'm sharing this with the fine readers of SPAM-L because my
    customer told me that these were false positives. [The customer told me
    that] Google is a big provider and using a DNSBL that blocks when a
    google server feeds a honeypot with 419 or lottery scam crap is not a
    good idea.

    I told him to add it to his whitelist, or remove that DNSBL from his
    config, but that we would not be removing it from the default config.
    ----------------

    Google does bad things, wrong things, and people think I'm wrong because
    there's no possible way Google could be at fault.

    --
    Seth Mattinen sethm@rollernet.us
    Roller Network LLC

  9. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    2008/9/11 Emmanuel Kasper :
    > Well gmail can sometimes be wrong like when they decided to rewrite
    > email headers of their users to hide the original IP of the sender.

    I am not an expert in RFC but afaik it's one of the most RFC-breaking
    cases I've ever heard.

    --
    Wojciech Ziniewicz
    Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;f l

  10. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    Common problem, not only with google, but also with other big corps.

    But, again, did you ever tried to communicate with them? A copy of the
    letter should calm down the customer.

    edi

    Thomas Goirand wrote:
    > Seth Mattinen wrote:
    >> Google does bad things, wrong things, and people think I'm wrong because
    >> there's no possible way Google could be at fault.

    > Exactly !!!
    >
    > Thomas

  11. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
    > Jose Celestino wrote:
    >> Words by Thomas Goirand [Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 07:09:36PM +0800]:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> It's been the 2nd time that I'm having problems with gmail not seeing my
    >>> DNS updates after more than 24 hours, when the TTL is less than 2 hours.
    >>> Other DNS servers from other ISP have no problem. It's quite annoying as
    >>> my client is complaining, and it's hard to say "gmail is wrong, they
    >>> don't do like they should and like everybody does". My customer will
    >>> just not trust that.
    >>>

    >> How come it will not trust? Is gmail the reference? Don't recall that
    >> being so...

    > Do you really think that my customer is smart?
    >
    > Thomas

    Hey Thomas,

    I guess you should get in contact with gmail's support, providing
    details about your configuration and what do you think it's wrong.

    Are you sure you updated everything correctly in your zone config,
    including the serial? Did you make sure all your authoritative
    nameservers have the new record?

    - I'm not saying you did something wrong, just reminding that you
    should mention all those details in your complaint.

    > P.S: Please, DO NOT write to me as Cc:, it's written everywhere that
    > it's not the way to reply to a Debian list, and I'm registered...

    Then shouldn't you (or the list server) be setting the Reply-To header
    accordingly in the messages? (Sorry, I didn't read the manual for
    posting to debian lists, so I may have missed the point).

    Best regards.
    --
    Yves Junqueira
    http://cetico.org

  12. Re: About the slowness of gmail's DNS servers

    On 14.09.08 21:16, Yves Junqueira wrote:
    > Then shouldn't you (or the list server) be setting the Reply-To header
    > accordingly in the messages? (Sorry, I didn't read the manual for
    > posting to debian lists, so I may have missed the point).

    read them then, please. Sending private copies when sendes does NOT ask for
    them is violating debian list policy. So nobody's required to play with

    Mutt supports Mail-Followup-To: header, unluckily it's only mutt afaik.
    - Have you got anything without Spam in it?
    - Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it.