Lenny upgrade-advisor - Debian

This is a discussion on Lenny upgrade-advisor - Debian ; Hello, I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite explicit. It ...

  1. Lenny upgrade-advisor

    Hello,

    I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
    sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
    advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
    explicit.

    It isn't finished. My roadmap include :
    * More explicit messages (!)
    * Add links to Release Notes.
    * Check for discontinued/renamed modules.
    * Fix bug with dash (it switch debug)
    * Find appropriate description, so users don't rely exclusively on it.

    But there are many other tests that could be implemented, like :
    selinux, kernel's origine, detect sysfs, check free space, check
    filesystems, detect live-cd, NFS and read-only root, detect risks of
    non-persistent device names after reboot, etc.
    Finally it could list applications that may require substantial
    intervention from the user to work after upgrade.

    Your comments are welcome, your patchs too (and a sponsor for some space
    on alioth?).

    The script is available at :
    http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/deb...grade_advisor/

    Franklin

    bash upgrade-advisor --verbose
    I: Checking Operating System.
    I: Checking Operating system version
    I: Checking the presence of required utils
    I: Checking architecture
    I: Checking /etc/apt.sources
    I: Retreiving installed packages data (this can take a while).
    I: Fetching lenny (main, i386) Package_list.
    I: Check contrib and non-free packages, since last release.
    I: The following contrib or non-free packages were fount.
    I: | agrep
    I: | libbeagle0
    I: | python-beagle
    I: Checking installed packages, for obsolete packages.
    W: Obsolete and Locally Created Packages should be removed.
    I: | di-netboot-assistant
    I: | live-helper
    I: Check discontinued packages, in next release.
    W: Following package aren't available in lenny.
    I: | libecal1.2-6
    I: | libeel2-2.14
    I: | libgail17
    I: | liblzo1
    I: | libmozjs0d
    I: | libnss3-0d
    I: | libwnck18
    I: | libxklavier10
    I: | libxul0d
    I: Checking installed packages, for orhpan packages.
    I: The following 'Orphaned Packages' have been reported by deborphan.
    I: | libsasl2
    I: | libc6-xen
    I: | libconsole
    I: Checking /dev filesystem.
    I: Checking Xen Hypervisor.
    W: An hypervisor (xen) was detected.
    I: It may require additional configuration steps.
    I: Verify kernel availablability/compatibility before upgrade.

  2. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Franklin PIAT wrote:

    > and a sponsor for some space on alioth?

    That should not be nessecary, you can create a login and register a
    project (which is then manually approved) without being a DD.

    In addition you can create personal git/mercurial/darcs repositories
    without a project:

    http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git
    http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Hg
    http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Darcs

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  3. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Franklin PIAT wrote:
    >
    > > and a sponsor for some space on alioth?

    > That should not be nessecary, you can create a login and register a
    > project (which is then manually approved) without being a DD.

    Please don't advise people to create Alioth projects for a simple script.

    Cheers,
    --
    Raphaël Hertzog

  4. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    Quoting Franklin PIAT (fpiat@bigfoot.com):

    > * More explicit messages (!)

    internationalized*?

  5. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    This one time, at band camp, Paul Wise said:
    > On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Franklin PIAT wrote:
    >
    > > and a sponsor for some space on alioth?

    > That should not be nessecary, you can create a login and register a
    > project (which is then manually approved) without being a DD.

    As has been mentioned, you don't need a full project for a small script,
    or even just for hosting. You can always host things in your home space
    on alioth.

    > In addition you can create personal git/mercurial/darcs repositories
    > without a project:
    >
    > http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git
    > http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Hg
    > http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Darcs

    ~/public_bzr should work now. It's not as polished as the others, but
    as always, patches welcome
    | ,''`. Stephen Gran |
    | : :' : sgran@debian.org |
    | `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
    | `- http://www.debian.org |

  6. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Stephen Gran wrote:

    > As has been mentioned, you don't need a full project for a small script,
    > or even just for hosting. You can always host things in your home space
    > on alioth.

    Fair enough.

    > ~/public_bzr should work now. It's not as polished as the others, but
    > as always, patches welcome

    Updated the wiki page:

    http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Bzr

    If there is anything that needs fixing, please do so.

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  7. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    Hi!

    Am 7.9.2008 schrieb "Franklin PIAT" :

    >I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
    >sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
    >advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
    >explicit.

    Wonderfull idea! Are you "synchronizing" with the release notes?
    Meaning, that you things you test, are documented there and vice versa?

    Best regards,
    Alexander

  8. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
    > Am 7.9.2008 schrieb "Franklin PIAT":
    >>I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
    >>sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
    >>advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
    >>explicit.

    > Wonderfull idea! Are you "synchronizing" with the release notes?
    > Meaning, that you things you test, are documented there and vice versa?

    Good suggestion.

    >> * Add links to Release Notes.

    For each test, I want to have a link to some official docs (Release
    Notes, Installation guide, etc). This is now implemented.
    It would be great to test all entries in the release notes, but it often
    requires a very good understanding of the problem. (If one knows how to
    test it, your patches are welcome).

    One thing I wish (but I can't do it alone), is to list/detect all the
    applications that require user intervention for the migration (I mean
    any intervention other than debconf).

    It's now hosted on collab-maint[1]. As usually, contributions are welcome.

    Thanks you all for comments (both on this ML, and private email).

    Franklin

    [1] http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-main....git;a=summary

  9. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Franklin PIAT wrote:

    > One thing I wish (but I can't do it alone), is to list/detect all the
    > applications that require user intervention for the migration (I mean
    > any intervention other than debconf).

    The nfs/mount issue is one: 493095/498350

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  10. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    Le mercredi 10 septembre 2008 Ã* 16:27 +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
    > On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Franklin PIAT wrote:
    >
    > > One thing I wish (but I can't do it alone), is to list/detect all the
    > > applications that require user intervention for the migration (I mean
    > > any intervention other than debconf).

    > The nfs/mount issue is one: 493095/498350

    BTW I don’t get why Breaks: would fix the issue if Conflicts: does not.

    --
    .''`.
    `- our own. Resistance is futile.

  11. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 09:16 +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Am 7.9.2008 schrieb "Franklin PIAT"
    >
    > >I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
    > >sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
    > >advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
    > >explicit.

    > Wonderfull idea! Are you "synchronizing" with the release notes?
    > Meaning, that you things you test, are documented there and vice versa?

    I have now created many tests for release-notes entries.

    BTW, the Release-Notes file layout seems to have changed. For instance
    Etch's ch-upgrading.en.html#s-package-status becomes
    upgrading.html#package-status in Lenny.

    Was it intended ? (I'm asking before implementing a matching table).

    Thanks,

    Franklin

  12. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    On 2008-10-09 22:58, Franklin PIAT wrote:
    > BTW, the Release-Notes file layout seems to have changed. For instance
    > Etch's ch-upgrading.en.html#s-package-status becomes
    > upgrading.html#package-status in Lenny.
    >
    > Was it intended ? (I'm asking before implementing a matching table).

    No. The "en" is already in again, and I will immediately fix the
    filename prefix.

  13. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 23:53 +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
    > On 2008-10-09 22:58, Franklin PIAT wrote:
    > > BTW, the Release-Notes file layout seems to have changed. For instance
    > > Etch's ch-upgrading.en.html#s-package-status becomes
    > > upgrading.html#package-status in Lenny.
    > >
    > > Was it intended ? (I'm asking before implementing a matching table).

    > No. The "en" is already in again, and I will immediately fix the
    > filename prefix.

    Thank you for that quick fix. It's definitely going to make my life
    easier

    Franklin

  14. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    Hello,

    I have re-worked upgrade-advisor to make it pluggable. Also it's now
    hosted on collab-maint[1]. This should make it easier for anyone to
    submit a plug-in that detects and warns potential issues.

    How it works
    ------------
    Before upgrading, running `upgrade-advisor pre-upgrade` will :
    detecting wrong update-grub path in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
    * Perform various pre-upgrade test. Currently, it mainly focuses on
    warning for discontinued packages.
    But the long term goal is test all potential issues listed in the
    Release Notes.

    After upgrading, running `upgrade-advisor post-upgrade` will :
    * Perform some tests to ensure that steps listed in "Preparing for
    the next release" of the Release-Notes are completed.

    Your Contributions
    ------------------
    + Testing/Feedback is welcome (It's still beta quality, so I haven't
    uploaded the package yet). To use/test it, run :
    sudo apt-get install git-core
    git clone git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/upgrade-advisor.git
    ./upgrade-advisor/upgrade-advisor.sh pre-upgrade
    Feedback for false positive and false negative is especially welcome.

    + Help list packages that "require a human intervention" [2].
    I am planning to list the installed packages that "require a human
    intervention" to work after upgrade. This especially include the
    packages that need to be reconfigured/migrated manually.
    If you know such package, please let me know (provide a short
    description, like "re-configure /etc/foo.conf").
    The purpose is to let the sysadmin estimate the system "downtime".

    + Contributing a plug-in.
    You can contribute a plug-in, that warns users before
    they upgrade their systems.
    Here's a sample plugin :

    ### START of: plugins/A-20_check_update_grub_path ###
    #!/bin/sh

    check_update_grub_path() {
    # This plugin applies to Etch and above only.
    [ $CURRENT_OS -lt $ETCH ] && return 0
    # Verbose/Debug mode.
    start_function "$FUNCNAME" "Checking update-grub path
    in /etc/kernel-img.conf"

    # The actual test.
    if grep -E "[[:blank:]=]+/sbin/update-grub" \
    /etc/kernel-img.conf > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    alert "The path to update-grub in /etc/kernel-img.conf
    is wrong."
    extra "$RELNOTES/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-for_next"
    fi

    #Done !
    end_function "$FUNCNAME"
    }
    ### END ###

    On Tue, 2008-09-09, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
    > Am 7.9.2008 schrieb "Franklin PIAT" :
    >
    > >I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
    > >sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
    > >advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
    > >explicit.

    > Wonderfull idea! Are you "synchronizing" with the release notes?
    > Meaning, that you things you test, are documented there and vice versa?

    I've synch'ed some of them... but more work is needed.

    Finally, I'm wondering what would be the most convenient way to
    distribute this tool. Any idea ?

    Franklin

    [1] http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-main....git;a=summary
    [2] http://wiki.debian.org/NewInLenny/Hu...rventionNeeded

  15. Re: Lenny upgrade-advisor

    Franklin PIAT wrote:
    > I have re-worked upgrade-advisor to make it pluggable. Also it's now
    > hosted on collab-maint[1]. This should make it easier for anyone to
    > submit a plug-in that detects and warns potential issues.

    Great idea.

    > + Testing/Feedback is welcome

    Did you consider i18n ?
    gettext exists as a shell program (and you can easily provide
    a function that does nothing in case gettext is not installed)

    Best regards,
    Vincent

    --
    Vincent Danjean GPG key ID 0x9D025E87 vdanjean@debian.org
    GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A 8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87