some weird upgrade problem - Debian

This is a discussion on some weird upgrade problem - Debian ; Hi, I have tried upgrade my Debian yesterday and apt showed me an weird error. I am having the problem with python-libxml2 package. I have also in /usr/share/doc/python-libxml2/examples directory files like that: ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? schema.py ?????????? ...

  1. some weird upgrade problem

    Hi,
    I have tried upgrade my Debian yesterday and apt showed me an weird error.
    I am having the problem with python-libxml2 package. I have also
    in /usr/share/doc/python-libxml2/examples directory files like that:

    ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? schema.py
    ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? serialize.py
    ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? sync.py

    date of creation is of these files is 1st Jun1970 ?!
    I cannot do absolutely nothing with them. I have tried to use live CD and
    mount my drive not as a system one and remove them (rm -f), change owner of
    these files, nothing seems to be working with them. Every time when I am
    trying to do something I have straight something like: "You don't have an
    access to the file" (?!) Do you have any ideas how to fix that.
    thanks in advance
    --
    Regards Pawel Krzywicki

  2. Re: some weird upgrade problem

    sounds like either filesystem corruption or something else gone awry. try
    using fsck -f to force a check of the affected filesystem. if it goes
    through a full check and finds nothing then maybe check the attributes
    using lsattr on the files affected.

    --On September 7, 2008 2:53:00 AM +0100 PaweĊ‚ Krzywicki
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have tried upgrade my Debian yesterday and apt showed me an weird error.
    > I am having the problem with python-libxml2 package. I have also
    > in /usr/share/doc/python-libxml2/examples directory files like that:
    >
    > ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? schema.py
    > ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? serialize.py
    > ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? sync.py
    >
    > date of creation is of these files is 1st Jun1970 ?!
    > I cannot do absolutely nothing with them. I have tried to use live CD and
    > mount my drive not as a system one and remove them (rm -f), change owner
    > of these files, nothing seems to be working with them. Every time when I
    > am trying to do something I have straight something like: "You don't
    > have an access to the file" (?!) Do you have any ideas how to fix that.
    > thanks in advance
    > --
    > Regards Pawel Krzywicki
    >

    > --

    Michael Loftis
    Modwest Operations Manager
    Powerful, Affordable Web Hosting

  3. Re: some weird upgrade problem

    On Synday, 7 September 2008, blorb wrote:
    Hi
    That is totally weird. To get to this computer in normal meaning of it you
    have to be connected to the another one with ssh access, which means :

    [some computers]

    [internet]-[router]-[router]-[debian ssh]- [my computer]

    router is forwarding only 22port connections to the [debian-ssh] and to get
    physical access to my computer you have to get an access to the [debian ssh]
    computer first and that one seems to be fine.

    > i hate saying it, but it could be a break in (rootkit and such) when did it
    > happen?
    > try rkhunter and try can chattr -i or -a, just see what's on it.

    as I said before I do not have an access to these files

    > tell us what rkhunter found.....

    rkhunter says
    System checks summary
    =====================

    File properties checks...
    Files checked: 133
    Suspect files: 0

    Rootkit checks...
    Rootkits checked : 110
    Possible rootkits: 0

    Applications checks...
    Applications checked: 5
    Suspect applications: 0

    The system checks took: 2 minutes and 16 seconds

    All results have been written to the logfile (/var/log/rkhunter.log)

    > and test is the coreutils is still ok (the 'ls' 'netstat' and on...)
    >
    > try ls -h
    >
    > Shahar Fermon.
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > >> I have tried upgrade my Debian yesterday and apt showed me an weird
    > >> error. I am having the problem with python-libxml2 package. I have also
    > >> in /usr/share/doc/python-libxml2/examples directory files like that:
    > >>
    > >> ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? schema.py
    > >> ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? serialize.py
    > >> ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? sync.py
    > >>
    > >> date of creation is of these files is 1st Jun1970 ?!
    > >> I cannot do absolutely nothing with them. I have tried to use live CD
    > >> and mount my drive not as a system one and remove them (rm -f), change
    > >> owner of these files, nothing seems to be working with them. Every time
    > >> when I am trying to do something I have straight something like: "You
    > >> don't have an access to the file" (?!) Do you have any ideas how to fix
    > >> that. thanks in advance
    > >> --
    > >> Regards Pawel Krzywicki
    > >>

    > >> --

    > > --
    > > Michael Loftis
    > > Modwest Operations Manager
    > > Powerful, Affordable Web Hosting
    > >

    > > --

    Regards Pawel Krzywicki
    Debian GNU/Linux User: Pawel"at"Wartan"dot"org
    kadu:3735326 Registered Linux User : 406139 |PLUG :1966491030
    Home Page: http://www.wartan.org

  4. Re: some weird upgrade problem

    Hi again.
    It'w working now
    For anyone who will have the same problem in the future.
    Unfortunately I could not use my backup to restore /usr partition because I
    could not override existing "weird" files. So I have copied all files (except
    these three broken ones) from /usr to another hard drive. I have changed
    entry in /etc/fstab to show where will be the new mounting point for /usr.
    Restart. I have format my old partition to delete that weird files from my
    drive, copied files from the new /usr to the newest /usr change entries
    in /etc/fstab as they was before. Restart.
    After, when system is up. dpkg --configure -a
    and my problem with upgrade of python-libxml2 solved
    Important thing is to copy all these files from one directory to another with
    user and group rights, because you can be suprised when you will start your
    system back again.
    thanks for your assistance

    --
    Regards Pawel Krzywicki
    Debian GNU/Linux User: Pawel"at"Wartan"dot"org
    kadu:3735326 Registered Linux User : 406139 |PLUG :1966491030
    Home Page: http://www.wartan.org [under construction]

  5. Re: some weird upgrade problem

    I wouldn't trust that drive anyway. The broken files could be an early
    indication of filesystem corruption.

    At the very least I would recommend checking your disk
    (non-destructively) with smartctl or diagnostics tools usually available
    on vendor's website. Also check your kernel logs regularly for disk-related
    error messages.

    Marcin

  6. Re: some weird upgrade problem

    On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 02:53:00AM +0100, Pawe³ Krzywicki wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have tried upgrade my Debian yesterday and apt showed me an weird error.
    > I am having the problem with python-libxml2 package. I have also
    > in /usr/share/doc/python-libxml2/examples directory files like that:
    >
    > ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? schema.py
    > ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? serialize.py
    > ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? sync.py
    >
    > date of creation is of these files is 1st Jun1970 ?!
    > I cannot do absolutely nothing with them. I have tried to use live CD and
    > mount my drive not as a system one and remove them (rm -f), change owner of
    > these files, nothing seems to be working with them. Every time when I am
    > trying to do something I have straight something like: "You don't have an
    > access to the file" (?!) Do you have any ideas how to fix that.
    > thanks in advance

    It's likely that it's just the lack of execute permission on the containing
    directory:

    mowsiany@beczulka:~$ sudo mkdir a
    mowsiany@beczulka:~$ sudo touch a/a
    mowsiany@beczulka:~$ ls -al b
    total 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-09-24 19:47 .
    drwxr-xr-x 74 mowsiany eng 4096 2008-09-24 19:47 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-09-24 19:47 a
    mowsiany@beczulka:~$ sudo chmod a-x a
    mowsiany@beczulka:~$ ls -al a
    total 0
    mowsiany@beczulka:~$

    --
    Marcin Owsiany http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
    GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216 FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75 D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216