debootstrap - can it do second stage for foreign architectures? - Debian

This is a discussion on debootstrap - can it do second stage for foreign architectures? - Debian ; Can debootstrap do second stage for a foreign architecture? For example, it is perfectly possible to make first stage of debootstrap process for arm on x86. However, I'm having problems in running second stage of debootstrap for arm on x86 ...

  1. debootstrap - can it do second stage for foreign architectures?

    Can debootstrap do second stage for a foreign architecture?

    For example, it is perfectly possible to make first stage of debootstrap
    process for arm on x86.

    However, I'm having problems in running second stage of debootstrap for
    arm on x86 (actually, I made it with qemu user emulation and binfmt_misc
    infrastructure in kernel and some additional hacking here and there;
    works fine with kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.22, but fails with 2.6.26).

    Is it possible to do a second stage of debootstrap for a foreign
    architecture?

    --
    Tomasz Chmielewski
    http://wpkg.org

  2. Re: debootstrap - can it do second stage for foreign architectures?

    On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:36:48PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
    > Can debootstrap do second stage for a foreign architecture?
    >
    > For example, it is perfectly possible to make first stage of debootstrap
    > process for arm on x86.
    >
    > However, I'm having problems in running second stage of debootstrap for
    > arm on x86 (actually, I made it with qemu user emulation and binfmt_misc
    > infrastructure in kernel and some additional hacking here and there;
    > works fine with kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.22, but fails with 2.6.26).
    >
    > Is it possible to do a second stage of debootstrap for a foreign
    > architecture?

    Not that I know of. That's actually kind of the point of splitting out the
    second stage; it does all the bits that *can't* be done by the foreign
    architecture (because it involves running native code like dpkg inside the
    chroot / target filesystem).

    - Matt

  3. Re: debootstrap - can it do second stage for foreign architectures?

    Matthew Palmer schrieb:
    > On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:36:48PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
    >> Can debootstrap do second stage for a foreign architecture?
    >>
    >> For example, it is perfectly possible to make first stage of debootstrap
    >> process for arm on x86.
    >>
    >> However, I'm having problems in running second stage of debootstrap for
    >> arm on x86 (actually, I made it with qemu user emulation and binfmt_misc
    >> infrastructure in kernel and some additional hacking here and there;
    >> works fine with kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.22, but fails with 2.6.26).
    >>
    >> Is it possible to do a second stage of debootstrap for a foreign
    >> architecture?

    > Not that I know of. That's actually kind of the point of splitting out the
    > second stage; it does all the bits that *can't* be done by the foreign
    > architecture (because it involves running native code like dpkg inside the
    > chroot / target filesystem).

    All right.

    In that case, I'll write a small document on how to perform a second
    stage in a foreign architecture. Will post it here.

    --
    Tomasz Chmielewski
    http://wpkg.org