Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903 - Debian

This is a discussion on Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903 - Debian ; 18 days left before the end of the string freeze NEW for today: Croatian re-qualified, general review of Esperanto Malayalam completed Languages meeting the release criteria: 29 ------------------------------------------ Already activated and complete for level 1: 27 Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, German, ...

  1. Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903

    18 days left before the end of the string freeze

    NEW for today: Croatian re-qualified, general review of Esperanto
    Malayalam completed

    Languages meeting the release criteria: 29

    Already activated and complete for level 1: 27
    Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, German, Dzongkha, Finnish, French, Galician,
    Gujarati, Hindi, Croatian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Malyalam,
    Norwegian Bokmål, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese,
    Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Traditional Chinese

    Already activated and complete for sublevels 1 and 2: 2
    Belarusian, Basque

    Not yet activated languages complete for sublevels 1 and 2: 0

    Languages failing to meet the release criteria: 46

    Activated languages: 32
    Amharic, Bengali, Bosnian, Catalan, Danish, Greek, Esperanto, Spanish,
    Estonian, Hebrew, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian,
    Georgian, Khmer, Kurdish, Latvian, Macedonian, Marathi,
    Nepali, Norwegian Nynorsk, Punjabi, Northern Sami, Slovenian,
    Albanian, Tamil, Tagalog, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Wolof, Simplified
    Chinese

    Not yet activated languages: 14
    Afrikaans, Welsh, Persian, Irish, Armenian, Icelandic, Kazakh, Kannada,
    Malagasy, Malay, Serbian, Telugu, Urdu, Xhosa
    (chances to get these in lenny are quite low)

    If your language is listed in "failing to meet the release criteria",
    please do not scream out. For many of these languages, only very few
    translated strings are missing and the needed update is very
    small. But, still, do your best for this to happen.

  2. Re: Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903

    Hi Christian,

    On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:26:28AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > 18 days left before the end of the string freeze

    I suspect you want to tell us that there will be a release of the
    installer on this date? Since there will be no release of Lenny
    without an updated installer does this mean we can just continue
    working on/requesting translations for nearly 3 weeks?

    Currently you just informed us that we should expect further string
    changes in 18 days (which is OK for me).

    In the past months (situation was different for Etch IIRC) I was always
    unsure whether Lenny will release next week, or later (applies to the
    freeze as well, I cannot remember reading about the freeze announcement
    of the base system). This made calling for translation updates
    difficult. I also missed similar *concrete* announcements about the
    release status (e.g. we still need at least one month) on the
    debian-announce or devel lists. I know about the "once it is ready"
    phrase but it makes planning hard.

    Jens

  3. Re: Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903

    Jens Seidel wrote:
    > Hi Christian,
    >
    > On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:26:28AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
    >> 18 days left before the end of the string freeze

    > I suspect you want to tell us that there will be a release of the
    > installer on this date? Since there will be no release of Lenny
    > without an updated installer does this mean we can just continue
    > working on/requesting translations for nearly 3 weeks?
    >
    > Currently you just informed us that we should expect further string
    > changes in 18 days (which is OK for me).
    >
    > In the past months (situation was different for Etch IIRC) I was always
    > unsure whether Lenny will release next week, or later (applies to the
    > freeze as well, I cannot remember reading about the freeze announcement
    > of the base system). This made calling for translation updates
    > difficult. I also missed similar *concrete* announcements about the
    > release status (e.g. we still need at least one month) on the
    > debian-announce or devel lists. I know about the "once it is ready"
    > phrase but it makes planning hard.

    The freeze planning was announced at least from february on...

    We won't make it to release this month as we still need to fix a lot of
    RC bugs and test installations/upgrades.

    Cheers

    Luk

  4. Re: Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903

    Quoting Jens Seidel (jensseidel@users.sf.net):
    > Hi Christian,
    >
    > On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:26:28AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > > 18 days left before the end of the string freeze

    > I suspect you want to tell us that there will be a release of the
    > installer on this date? Since there will be no release of Lenny
    > without an updated installer does this mean we can just continue
    > working on/requesting translations for nearly 3 weeks?

    Answers are in the mail with "Debian Installer final(?) string freeze
    up to Sept. 21st" as Subject, which I sent on Aug. 28th.

    The string freeze means that no changes will happen *and* that the
    build of D-I packages will not be done until Sept. 21st.

    > Currently you just informed us that we should expect further string
    > changes in 18 days (which is OK for me).

    Unless something very nasty requiring an urgent string change pops up,
    no. There won't be any string changes. And even if there are some,
    languages that would be incompelte because of it will not be disabled.

    > In the past months (situation was different for Etch IIRC) I was always
    > unsure whether Lenny will release next week, or later (applies to the
    > freeze as well, I cannot remember reading about the freeze announcement
    > of the base system). This made calling for translation updates

    "string freeze" is only relevant for D-I. There is no such thing all
    over Debian (for debconf templates or packages descriptions), though
    it is certainly discouraged to do string changes when the distribution
    is frozen.

    When Lenny will be released is in the hand of the release team and,
    for what's is worth, they communicated faily well about this, as of
    now.

    I hope this can answer some of the questions you might have.

  5. Re: Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903

    * Luk Claes [2008-09-03 19:12]:
    > > unsure whether Lenny will release next week, or later (applies to the
    > > freeze as well, I cannot remember reading about the freeze announcement
    > > of the base system). This made calling for translation updates
    > > difficult. I also missed similar *concrete* announcements about the
    > > release status (e.g. we still need at least one month) on the
    > > debian-announce or devel lists. I know about the "once it is ready"
    > > phrase but it makes planning hard.

    > The freeze planning was announced at least from february on...

    I'd like to add that Jens should subscribe to debian-devel-announce -
    that's where you can expect updates on the release status, not on
    debian-announce (this is where you'll hear once lenny is out). In
    fact, there was a release update on debian-devel-announce just a few
    days ago.
    --
    Martin Michlmayr
    http://www.cyrius.com/

  6. Lenny installer string freeze status 20080904

    17 days left before the end of the string freeze

    NEW for today: Reminder sent to all translators for the 2nd list below
    Italian, Basque completed
    Punjabi completed for sublevels 1 and 2
    Progress on Hebrew

    Languages meeting the release criteria: 31

    Already activated and complete for level 1: 29
    Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, German, Dzongkha, Basque, Finnish, French, Galician,
    Gujarati, Hindi, Croatian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Malyalam,
    Norwegian Bokmål, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese,
    Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Traditional Chinese

    Already activated and complete for sublevels 1 and 2: 2
    Belarusian, Punjabi

    Not yet activated languages complete for sublevels 1 and 2: 0

    Languages failing to meet the release criteria: 44

    Activated languages: 30
    Amharic, Bengali, Bosnian, Catalan, Danish, Greek, Esperanto, Spanish,
    Estonian, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian,
    Georgian, Khmer, Kurdish, Latvian, Macedonian, Marathi,
    Nepali, Norwegian Nynorsk, Northern Sami, Slovenian,
    Albanian, Tamil, Tagalog, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Wolof, Simplified
    Chinese

    Not yet activated languages: 14
    Afrikaans, Welsh, Persian, Irish, Armenian, Icelandic, Kazakh, Kannada,
    Malagasy, Malay, Serbian, Telugu, Urdu, Xhosa
    (chances to get these in lenny are quite low)

    If your language is listed in "failing to meet the release criteria",
    please do not scream out. For many of these languages, only very few
    translated strings are missing and the needed update is very
    small. But, still, do your best for this to happen.

  7. Re: Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903

    On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:20:27PM +0300, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
    > * Luk Claes [2008-09-03 19:12]:
    > > > unsure whether Lenny will release next week, or later (applies to the
    > > > freeze as well, I cannot remember reading about the freeze announcement
    > > > of the base system). This made calling for translation updates
    > > > difficult. I also missed similar *concrete* announcements about the
    > > > release status (e.g. we still need at least one month) on the
    > > > debian-announce or devel lists. I know about the "once it is ready"
    > > > phrase but it makes planning hard.

    > > The freeze planning was announced at least from february on...

    > I'd like to add that Jens should subscribe to debian-devel-announce -

    I am. Also I'm subscribed to debian-devel, ...

    > that's where you can expect updates on the release status, not on
    > debian-announce (this is where you'll hear once lenny is out). In
    > fact, there was a release update on debian-devel-announce just a few
    > days ago.

    Right and it contained indeed a very important detail hidden in:

    "The Debian Installer team is currently preparing the first (and
    hopefully final) release candidate of the lenny installer."

    That is together with Christian's String Freeze announcement for Debian
    Installer one of the rare recent process reports.

    The previous announce I'm aware of was "September 2008: Release lenny!"
    from http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00005.html

    I know this is not the right list to complain, but for the future: If
    someone has more detailed information please share it. My problem was
    finding a good deadline for translators of aptitude (to short and I will
    miss some patches, too long and all recieved patches will not reach
    Lenny :-)

    Jens