KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU - Debian ; Hi, Is there someone here using KDE 4 with composite effects on an Intel GPU? If so, which AccelMethod (configured in xorg.conf in the "Device" section) are you using, "EXA" (the default) or "XAA"? I tried the KDE 4 backported ...

  1. KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Hi,

    Is there someone here using KDE 4 with composite effects on an Intel GPU?
    If so, which AccelMethod (configured in xorg.conf in the "Device" section)
    are you using, "EXA" (the default) or "XAA"?

    I tried the KDE 4 backported packages for Lenny and I'm having some issues
    with composite effects on this laptop (integrated Intel GPU), the default
    EXA AccelMethod has terrible performance (even with tweaks
    like "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" that were suggested somewhere), and
    with XAA (which is obsolete) I can't play any videos with composite
    effects on, as both xine and mplayer crash with BadAlloc errors.

    I found some seemingly relevant bugs on various trackers, it's hard to say
    if the problem is in KDE, X, or the intel driver (there are probably
    multiple issues), I'm wondering if someone actually has it working.

  2. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Am Wednesday, 3. September 2008 schrieb Jan Krajicek:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there someone here using KDE 4 with composite effects on an Intel GPU?
    > If so, which AccelMethod (configured in xorg.conf in the "Device" section)
    > are you using, "EXA" (the default) or "XAA"?
    >
    > I tried the KDE 4 backported packages for Lenny and I'm having some issues
    > with composite effects on this laptop (integrated Intel GPU), the default
    > EXA AccelMethod has terrible performance (even with tweaks
    > like "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" that were suggested somewhere), and
    > with XAA (which is obsolete) I can't play any videos with composite
    > effects on, as both xine and mplayer crash with BadAlloc errors.
    >
    > I found some seemingly relevant bugs on various trackers, it's hard to say
    > if the problem is in KDE, X, or the intel driver (there are probably
    > multiple issues), I'm wondering if someone actually has it working.

    KWin, composite, Intel, bad performance are all keywords that match for me,
    see my post on the 2nd of August to this list (6 pm UTC). I for my part have
    given up right now and enjoy KDE4 without animations. Do keep us updated
    though once you find a solution.

    Chris

  3. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    On Tuesday 02 September 2008 22:53:49 Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    [snip]
    > > I found some seemingly relevant bugs on various trackers, it's hard to
    > > say if the problem is in KDE, X, or the intel driver (there are probably
    > > multiple issues), I'm wondering if someone actually has it working.

    > KWin, composite, Intel, bad performance are all keywords that match for me,
    > see my post on the 2nd of August to this list (6 pm UTC). I for my part
    > have given up right now and enjoy KDE4 without animations. Do keep us
    > updated though once you find a solution.

    I have just bought a mother with an ATI Radeon RS690. With the open radeonhd
    drivers there is almost no OpenGL acceleration, and no effects (except I am
    missing something...)

    --
    6: Cual es el boton del mouse que permite acceder a las acciones mas
    comunes del manejo de archivos

    Lisandro Damin Nicanor Prez Meyer
    http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
    http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Am Mittwoch, 3. September 2008 03:53:49 schrieb Christoph Burgmer:
    > Am Wednesday, 3. September 2008 schrieb Jan Krajicek:
    > > I found some seemingly relevant bugs on various trackers, it's hard to
    > > say if the problem is in KDE, X, or the intel driver (there are probably
    > > multiple issues), I'm wondering if someone actually has it working.

    > KWin, composite, Intel, bad performance are all keywords that match for me,
    > see my post on the 2nd of August to this list (6 pm UTC). I for my part
    > have given up right now and enjoy KDE4 without animations. Do keep us
    > updated though once you find a solution.

    I've got no luck with my nvidia card either. With the latest drivers it was
    working smooth but there were far too many crashes, especially of KWin or X
    (probably the Nvidia driver).

    --
    Best Regards,
    Dominik

  5. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    On 2008-09-02, Jan Krajicek wrote:
    > Is there someone here using KDE 4 with composite effects on an Intel GPU?
    > If so, which AccelMethod (configured in xorg.conf in the "Device" section)
    > are you using, "EXA" (the default) or "XAA"?
    >
    > I tried the KDE 4 backported packages for Lenny and I'm having some issues
    > with composite effects on this laptop (integrated Intel GPU), the default
    > EXA AccelMethod has terrible performance (even with tweaks
    > like "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" that were suggested somewhere), and
    > with XAA (which is obsolete) I can't play any videos with composite
    > effects on, as both xine and mplayer crash with BadAlloc errors.
    >
    > I found some seemingly relevant bugs on various trackers, it's hard to say
    > if the problem is in KDE, X, or the intel driver (there are probably
    > multiple issues), I'm wondering if someone actually has it working.

    I have no problems with using full effects on two machines, one being my
    Eeepc 4g.

    /Sune

  6. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Lisandro Damin Nicanor Prez Meyer wrote:

    > I have just bought a mother with an ATI Radeon RS690. With the open
    > radeonhd drivers there is almost no OpenGL acceleration, and no effects
    > (except I am missing something...)

    There is no acceleration but you can use kwin effects using XRender in the advanced options (configuration center > desktop effects).

    At least, it works on my laptop with an HD3470 and radeonhd.

    Yannick

  7. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    On Wednesday 03 September 2008 08:52:18 Yannick wrote:
    > Lisandro Damin Nicanor Prez Meyer wrote:
    > > I have just bought a mother with an ATI Radeon RS690. With the open
    > > radeonhd drivers there is almost no OpenGL acceleration, and no effects
    > > (except I am missing something...)

    > There is no acceleration but you can use kwin effects using XRender in the
    > advanced options (configuration center > desktop effects).
    >
    > At least, it works on my laptop with an HD3470 and radeonhd.
    >
    > Yannick

    Great :-D Thanks!

    --
    Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a
    solution to a problem. There are talents that are specifically

    Lisandro Damin Nicanor Prez Meyer
    http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
    http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Dne st 3. zář* 2008 Christoph Burgmer napsal(a):
    > KWin, composite, Intel, bad performance are all keywords that match for
    > me, see my post on the 2nd of August to this list (6 pm UTC). I for my
    > part have given up right now and enjoy KDE4 without animations. Do keep
    > us updated though once you find a solution.

    I wonder if the newer intel drivers in experimental (2.4.1, Lenny has
    2.3.2) would help things. They don't seem to be easily installable,
    unfortunately.
    Another thing to try would be the obsolete "real" i810 driver (the one in
    Debian is actually linked to the "intel" driver).

    I haven't experienced any graphical glitches myself, mostly just very
    inadequate performance.
    My experience with composite effects in short:
    - Using the default "EXA" AccelMethod: effects work fine, terrible
    performance, using XRender didn't seem to help
    - Using "XAA": perfect performance, but can't play any video, didn't try
    XRender
    Since XAA is obsolete, I'd rather see EXA working than work around the XAA
    problems (I did find some poor workarounds for the video issue...).

    I'm reverting to KDE 3 for now, composite effects were the main attraction
    for me and otherwise I'm still missing some functionality (khotkeys).

  9. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Le mardi 02 septembre 2008 23:14, Jan Krajicek a crit*:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there someone here using KDE 4 with composite effects on an Intel GPU?
    > If so, which AccelMethod (configured in xorg.conf in the "Device" section)
    > are you using, "EXA" (the default) or "XAA"?
    >
    > I tried the KDE 4 backported packages for Lenny and I'm having some issues
    > with composite effects on this laptop (integrated Intel GPU), the default
    > EXA AccelMethod has terrible performance (even with tweaks
    > like "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" that were suggested somewhere), and
    > with XAA (which is obsolete) I can't play any videos with composite
    > effects on, as both xine and mplayer crash with BadAlloc errors.
    >
    > I found some seemingly relevant bugs on various trackers, it's hard to say
    > if the problem is in KDE, X, or the intel driver (there are probably
    > multiple issues), I'm wondering if someone actually has it working.

    It works great for me on my Toshiba Portg R500 (Intel 950GM graphics). I use
    the "KDE 4.1.x backports for Lenny" repository.

    --
    Laurent Lonard

  10. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Dne čt 4. zář* 2008 Laurent Léonard napsal(a):
    > It works great for me on my Toshiba Portégé R500 (Intel 950GM
    > graphics). I use the "KDE 4.1.x backports for Lenny" repository.

    Hmm, I have the same graphics card and using the same repo. You didn't
    have to tweak anything in xorg.conf (and therefore use EXA AccelMethod by
    default) ?

    Your laptop has a Core 2 duo processor just like mine. Are you using
    amd64 or i686 Debian?

    Lastly, are you using OpenGL (default) or XRender for composite effects?

    I wonder why we're getting so different results on such similar hardware
    (the 4g EeePC has GMA 900, which I thought might be why it works for Sune
    Vuorela, apparently it's more complicated).

  11. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Le jeudi 04 septembre 2008 * 02:58, Jan Krajicek a écrit*:
    > Dne čt 4. zář* 2008 Laurent Léonard napsal(a):
    > > It works great for me on my Toshiba Portégé R500 (Intel 950GM
    > > graphics). I use the "KDE 4.1.x backports for Lenny" repository.

    > Hmm, I have the same graphics card and using the same repo. You didn't
    > have to tweak anything in xorg.conf (and therefore use EXA AccelMethod by
    > default) ?

    No tweak, I have the default Xorg configuration. 3D acceleration works out of
    the box...

    > Your laptop has a Core 2 duo processor just like mine. Are you using
    > amd64 or i686 Debian?

    amd64

    > Lastly, are you using OpenGL (default) or XRender for composite effects?

    OpenGL, but XRender works too. I don't know what are the differences but
    XRender works with a virtual area (to allow multiple screens) so it works
    without 3D acceleration...

    --
    Laurent Léonard

  12. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    On Thursday 2008-09-04, Jan Krajicek wrote:
    > Dne čt 4. zář* 2008 Laurent Léonard napsal(a):
    > > It works great for me on my Toshiba Portégé R500 (Intel 950GM
    > > graphics). I use the "KDE 4.1.x backports for Lenny" repository.

    > Hmm, I have the same graphics card and using the same repo. You didn't
    > have to tweak anything in xorg.conf (and therefore use EXA AccelMethod by
    > default) ?

    that was changed in a recent upload, the intel driver uses XAA by default
    for intel 950M ATM
    --
    Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

  13. Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

    Dne čt 4. zář* 2008 Laurent Léonard napsal(a):
    > OpenGL, but XRender works too. I don't know what are the differences
    > but XRender works with a virtual area (to allow multiple screens) so it
    > works without 3D acceleration...

    Thanks. It's the same setup I have, I wonder if it's an issue of some
    obscure configuration, but I don't think I messed with anything relevant.
    I might try some live cds with KDE4 and see how it performs there.