Hard Drive temp? - Debian

This is a discussion on Hard Drive temp? - Debian ; My Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400 gets very, very hot in the hard drive- so hot that the keyboard above is uncomfortable to type on. I've gone through /proc/acpi but I cannot find the hard drive temp. Where should it ...

  1. Hard Drive temp?

    My Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400 gets very, very hot in the hard drive-
    so hot that the keyboard above is uncomfortable to type on. I've gone
    through /proc/acpi but I cannot find the hard drive temp. Where should
    it be? It is possible that there is no hard drive temp sensor in a
    Dell laptop? The drive is a 7200RPM 80GB Seagate unit. Thanks in
    advance.

    --
    Dotan Cohen

    http://what-is-what.com
    http://gibberish.co.il

    ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

  2. Re: Hard Drive temp?

    Hi,

    Am Samstag, 30. August 2008 23:18:55 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
    > My Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400 gets very, very hot in the hard drive-
    > so hot that the keyboard above is uncomfortable to type on. I've gone
    > through /proc/acpi but I cannot find the hard drive temp. Where
    > should it be? It is possible that there is no hard drive temp sensor
    > in a Dell laptop? The drive is a 7200RPM 80GB Seagate unit. Thanks in
    > advance.

    Have a look on the tools hddtemp or smartmontools. Both could read the
    temperatur sensor, if S.M.A.R.T. gives access to it. The second tool
    could read all S.M.A.R.T. values.

    Greetings

    Frank

  3. Re: Hard Drive temp?

    On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:18:55AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
    > through /proc/acpi but I cannot find the hard drive temp. Where should
    > it be? It is possible that there is no hard drive temp sensor in a

    be SMART - check pkg smartmontools

    --
    paolo

  4. Re: Hard Drive temp?

    Thanks. I installed hddtemp and it says that the drive is at 59°
    Celcius. Despite that, the right side of the keyboard is _hot_. It
    sometimes gets much hotter, though. What temp is considered dangerous?

    Thanks!

    --
    Dotan Cohen

    http://what-is-what.com
    http://gibberish.co.il

    ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

  5. Re: Hard Drive temp?

    On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 01:00:40AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

    > sometimes gets much hotter, though. What temp is considered dangerous?

    smartmontools show more infos, namely device in-spec ratings and such, as
    set by manufacturer. Trip T is seldom found in SMART attributes, but it may
    range from 50 to 60 degC for this kind of HDD, and usually HDD have.
    SCSI HDD often are hard limited to 55.

    eg

    Device Model: Maxtor 6Y080L0
    Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH ... RAW_VALUE
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0032 253 253 000 ... 47

    Device Model: HDS728080PLAT20
    Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THR ... RAW_VALUE
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 122 122 000 ... 45 (Lifetime Min/Max 17/57)

    so 1st one says nothing while the latter says it operated in 17..57 C.
    That's a desktop HDD; in a Toshiba I see ' 49 (Lifetime Min/Max 4/58)'

    But no specs here, you need to lookup your HDD model datasheet onto vendor's
    site - eg for above Hitachi's and Fujitsu's operative T range is: 5..55 C
    and SMART reported an out-of-range event(s), thus giving a clue for what's
    the drive's trip T.

    Note that's _ambient_ T limit, case T limit is higher (eg 60 for Fujitsu).

    HTH
    --
    paolo

  6. Re: Hard Drive temp?

    On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:52:52AM +0200, Paolo wrote:

    > and SMART reported an out-of-range event(s), thus giving a clue for what's
    > the drive's trip T.

    correcting myself: trip -> max-operating
    'trip' T is - if set - hard limit at which the drive power off (like CPUs).

    --
    paolo