What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1) - Debian

This is a discussion on What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1) - Debian ; Daniel Baumann writes ("Debian Live Lenny Beta1"): > * The rescue flavour, containing system rescue and forensic related > packages, is missing in this beta release. I've spoken to Daniel and the main question here is determining the right list ...

  1. What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1)

    Daniel Baumann writes ("Debian Live Lenny Beta1"):
    > * The rescue flavour, containing system rescue and forensic related
    > packages, is missing in this beta release.

    I've spoken to Daniel and the main question here is determining the
    right list of packages for the rescue flavour.

    So in a spirit of consultation, and to make sure we don't leave out
    anything small but vitally useful, please send me your suggestions for
    things which we might forget to put on the rescue CD but which would
    be very useful.

    Obviously it will have the usual filesystem and disk management tools,
    basic networking stuff, relevant security functionality, a selection
    of text editors.

    Hopefully we can fit enough compiler toolchain to be able to recompile
    a Linux kernel. I think we will be avoiding X11. We'll have w3m and
    probably an irc client :-) (but which one?)

    What hex editor(s) should it have ? How important is it to have
    python, tcl, ruby or other scripting languages ? Which ONE version
    of Emacs ? Both nvi _and_ elvis ?

    etc.

    Please send replies directly to me and don't worry about duplicating
    what other people send. On the other hand please don't email me if
    all you can think of is obvious thinks like fdisk, mdadm, mkfs,
    dmsetup, lilo, grub, ...

    The current list (which I haven't added even my suggestions to yet)
    is at
    http://git.debian.net/?p=live-helper...f=lists/rescue
    (I am told - I can't check right now because alioth seems to be down)

    We may end up with two CDs - a heavy and a small one - depending on
    what our list of packages looks like.

    Ian.

  2. Re: What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1)

    Ian Jackson wrote:

    Which ONE version
    > of Emacs ? Both nvi _and_ elvis ?

    Consider something akin to pico/nano as well. Something very small and
    lightweight and easy to use. Something for the "near misses" in the
    experience department: someone who is able to install and run Debian
    (mostly) but still is a bit green/"wet behind the ears" when it comes to
    something like a rescue.

    Mark Allums

  3. Re: What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1)

    Ian Jackson wrote:
    > The current list (which I haven't added even my suggestions to yet)
    > is at
    > http://git.debian.net/?p=live-helper...f=lists/rescue
    > (I am told - I can't check right now because alioth seems to be down)

    for the records: git.debian.net is not alioth, and it (g.d.n) is not
    down, so feel free to have a look at it.

    --
    Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
    Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

  4. Re: What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1)

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:58:42AM +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
    > Ian Jackson wrote:
    > > The current list (which I haven't added even my suggestions to yet)
    > > is at
    > > http://git.debian.net/?p=live-helper...f=lists/rescue
    > > (I am told - I can't check right now because alioth seems to be down)

    > for the records: git.debian.net is not alioth, and it (g.d.n) is not
    > down, so feel free to have a look at it.

    I did, and that url it gives out a '403 Forbidden - No such project'

    In any case, it would be worthwhile to see what other people have included in
    a Forensic live-cd, one that comes to mind is FIRE: http://fire.dmzs.com/
    (slightly out of date, but its lists of pacakges at
    at http://fire.dmzs.com/?section=tools and forensics
    packages at http://fire.dmzs.com/?section=tools&subsection=F might be handy)
    or HELIX (http://www.e-fense.com/helix/, list of tools included at
    http://www.e-fense.com/helix/contents.php)

    IMHO, the basic tools in any forensics live-cd would be: recover (only for
    ext2), tct, sleuthkit and its frontend autopsy.

    Regards

    Javier

  5. Re: What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1)

    Hello Ian,

    Is "Midnight Commander" on the Rescue-CD? I have gotten (from the net)
    some Rescue-CDs laking "mc" which I use daily on any of my systems...

    > What hex editor(s) should it have ? How important is it to have
    > python, tcl, ruby or other scripting languages ? Which ONE version
    > of Emacs ? Both nvi _and_ elvis ?

    mc/mcedit including its syntax highlighting

    Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

    Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
    +49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

  6. Re: What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1)

    Am 2008-08-28 14:41:38, schrieb Mark Allums:
    > Consider something akin to pico/nano as well. Something very small and
    > lightweight and easy to use. Something for the "near misses" in the
    > experience department: someone who is able to install and run Debian
    > (mostly) but still is a bit green/"wet behind the ears" when it comes to
    > something like a rescue.

    This is, WHY I prefer "Midnight Commander" since it is a FileManager,
    Viewer and Editor including syntax highlighting and of course, easy to
    use.

    Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

    Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
    +49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

+ Reply to Thread