How to configure Firestarter - Debian

This is a discussion on How to configure Firestarter - Debian ; Dear Experts, I'm just installing Linux on my computer and set it up with Firestarter. When I tested it with ShieldUp! at www.grc.com it showed that my computer responded to ping. Perhaps this is not so serious, but I wonder ...

  1. How to configure Firestarter

    Dear Experts,

    I'm just installing Linux on my computer and set it up with
    Firestarter. When I tested it with ShieldUp! at www.grc.com it showed
    that my computer responded to ping. Perhaps this is not so serious,
    but I wonder is there a way to configure my Firestarter or iptables,
    so that the test is 100% passed?

    I'm new to Linux, and therefore any detail instruction is much
    appreciated. Btw, I tested ZoneAlarm firewall and it passed 100%.

    Thank you,
    Markus

  2. Re: How to configure Firestarter

    markus.liem@gmail.com wrote:

    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I'm just installing Linux on my computer and set it up with
    > Firestarter. When I tested it with ShieldUp! at www.grc.com it showed
    > that my computer responded to ping. Perhaps this is not so serious,
    > but I wonder is there a way to configure my Firestarter or iptables,
    > so that the test is 100% passed?
    >
    > I'm new to Linux, and therefore any detail instruction is much
    > appreciated. Btw, I tested ZoneAlarm firewall and it passed 100%.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Markus

    Under Preferences > Firewall >ICMP Filtering, check Enable ICMP Filtering.
    Leaving Echo Request (ping) unchecked should do what you want.

  3. Re: How to configure Firestarter

    Markus writes:
    > I'm just installing Linux on my computer and set it up with Firestarter.
    > When I tested it with ShieldUp! at www.grc.com it showed that my computer
    > responded to ping.

    As it should. Not problem.

    > Perhaps this is not so serious...

    It isn't. You can diable ping if you want to but doing so serves no
    purpose and reduces the functionality of the Net.

    > ...but I wonder is there a way to configure my Firestarter or iptables,
    > so that the test is 100% passed?

    While www.grc.com provides a useful way to run Nmap remotely it tries to
    propagate a lot of nonsense about "stealth mode". If you have no ports
    open you are not vulnerable.
    --
    John Hasler

  4. Re: How to configure Firestarter

    On Aug 27, 7:54*pm, Bryce wrote:
    > markus.l...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Dear Experts,

    > > I'm just installing Linux on my computer and set it up with
    > > Firestarter. *When I tested it with ShieldUp! atwww.grc.comit showed
    > > that my computer responded to ping. *Perhaps this is not so serious,
    > > but I wonder is there a way to configure my Firestarter or iptables,
    > > so that the test is 100% passed?

    > > I'm new to Linux, and therefore any detail instruction is much
    > > appreciated. *Btw, I tested ZoneAlarm firewall and it passed 100%.

    > > Thank you,
    > > Markus

    > Under Preferences > Firewall >ICMP Filtering, check Enable ICMP Filtering..
    > Leaving Echo Request (ping) unchecked should do what you want.

    Thank you. I did it and it worked.

    Cheers,
    Markus

  5. Re: How to configure Firestarter

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 05:25:20 -0700, markus.liem wrote:

    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I'm just installing Linux on my computer and set it up with
    > Firestarter. When I tested it with ShieldUp! at www.grc.com it showed
    > that my computer responded to ping. Perhaps this is not so serious,
    > but I wonder is there a way to configure my Firestarter or iptables,
    > so that the test is 100% passed?
    >
    > I'm new to Linux, and therefore any detail instruction is much
    > appreciated. Btw, I tested ZoneAlarm firewall and it passed 100%.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Markus

    if you are new to linux - an even simpler firewall is the gnome-lokkit
    program. It asks a few questions and does the rest. It could not be easier
    - but this would only suit people who want to do basic stuff like surfing,
    email, bittorrent. it would probably not help in advanced power user setups.

+ Reply to Thread