Video problem with Debian etch-n-half - Debian

This is a discussion on Video problem with Debian etch-n-half - Debian ; Hi, I've just installed Debian 4.0r4 on my Compaq F505 Laptop, every thing was fine till gdm started then the screen start doing strange lines and the system stop responding. Have anyone experienced this problem? Any ideas on how to ...

  1. Video problem with Debian etch-n-half

    Hi,

    I've just installed Debian 4.0r4 on my Compaq F505 Laptop, every thing
    was fine till gdm started then the screen start doing strange lines
    and the system stop responding. Have anyone experienced this problem?
    Any ideas on how to solve this problem are welcome.

    Regards,
    Diego A. Fons.

  2. Re: Video problem with Debian etch-n-half

    Sorry for the lack of information...

    I´ll try that param.

    I've installed debian without params. Tha video card is a nVidia
    GeForce Go 6100 and i don't know if the console mode works fine
    because the system freezes.

    I also read on some forums that the param 'noacpi' has to used while
    installing (noacpi is the same as acpi=off?).

    Regards,
    diego A. Fons.

    On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM, KGB KGB wrote:
    > the real param is VGA=770 sorry
    >
    >> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:18:22 -0300
    >> From: diego.fons@gmail.com
    >> To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
    >> Subject: Video problem with Debian etch-n-half
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just installed Debian 4.0r4 on my Compaq F505 Laptop, every thing
    >> was fine till gdm started then the screen start doing strange lines
    >> and the system stop responding. Have anyone experienced this problem?
    >> Any ideas on how to solve this problem are welcome.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Diego A. Fons.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > ________________________________
    > ¿Tienes cámara digital, más de una cuenta de email, planeas fiestaso
    > blogueas? Entonces, necesitas Windows Live

  3. Re: Video problem with Debian etch-n-half

    Hi,

    I could solve the problem, i've installed the nVidia drivers and the
    video is working fine. I also made the wireless card work (broadcom 43
    somrthing) installing the b43-fwcutter from a contrib pool, i could'n
    find it in the main pool.

    That's ok, but now im having a strange problem, in single user mode
    (without video) every thing goes fine, but in normal mode with
    desktop, after 10, 15 minutes the laptop freezes, NOTHING van be done
    exept powering it down and up again.

    Has anyone have this problem? Any ideas? The kernel is booting with
    default parameters.

    Regards,
    Diego A. Fons.

    On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Diego A. wrote:
    > Sorry for the lack of information...
    >
    > I´ll try that param.
    >
    > I've installed debian without params. Tha video card is a nVidia
    > GeForce Go 6100 and i don't know if the console mode works fine
    > because the system freezes.
    >
    > I also read on some forums that the param 'noacpi' has to used while
    > installing (noacpi is the same as acpi=off?).
    >
    > Regards,
    > diego A. Fons.
    >
    > On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM, KGB KGB wrote:
    >> the real param is VGA=770 sorry
    >>
    >>> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:18:22 -0300
    >>> From: diego.fons@gmail.com
    >>> To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
    >>> Subject: Video problem with Debian etch-n-half
    >>>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've just installed Debian 4.0r4 on my Compaq F505 Laptop, every thing
    >>> was fine till gdm started then the screen start doing strange lines
    >>> and the system stop responding. Have anyone experienced this problem?
    >>> Any ideas on how to solve this problem are welcome.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Diego A. Fons.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> ________________________________
    >> ¿Tienes cámara digital, más de una cuenta de email, planeas fiestas o
    >> blogueas? Entonces, necesitas Windows Live

    > --
    > E9C6C265 / 8D70 4A80 C337 DC0E 384A 6505 767B 11C2 E9C6 C265
    > "In the game of chess, you can never let your adversary see your pieces."
    > -- Zapp Brannigan.

  4. Re: Video problem with Debian etch-n-half

    OK,

    I tried the vga=771 parameter but nothing, it was the same.
    Now i've switch to Debian Lenny and i did a minimal instalation with
    video but it starts in run level 3 and the problem continues, so it's
    not a video problem!
    I've installed the b43 module and downloaded and cut the firmware,
    i've not tried uninstalling the module, but could it be the reason of
    the problem? could this module/firmware be the problem?

    Regards,
    Diego A. Fons.