Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys - Debian

This is a discussion on Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys - Debian ; Hi All, I have installed Debian Lenny on my machine(Thinkpad R61i). I am using custom kernel 2.6.25.6 with changes for USB modems. The ALSA sound module is working fine and the Volume keys are working with the GUI indication(volume is ...

  1. Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    Hi All,

    I have installed Debian Lenny on my machine(Thinkpad R61i). I am using
    custom kernel 2.6.25.6 with changes for USB modems.
    The ALSA sound module is working fine and the Volume keys are working
    with the GUI indication(volume is going up and down).

    But the Brightness keys (Fn+Pgup or Pgdwn) are not working fine. The
    GUI indication is happening but the Brightness is neither going down
    nor up.

    But if in ROOT console i manipulate brightness through the proc file
    system, then brightness is getting changed.

    This brings down brightness
    echo 4 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos

    This brings up brightness
    echo 5 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos

    During this too i am getting the GUI indication from the tpb module.

    Any suggestions on how to debug this?? I am using KDE 3.5.9

    Regards,
    Umesh

  2. Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, umesh debian wrote:

    >I have installed Debian Lenny on my machine(Thinkpad R61i). I am using
    >custom kernel 2.6.25.6 with changes for USB modems.
    >The ALSA sound module is working fine and the Volume keys are working
    >with the GUI indication(volume is going up and down).

    >But the Brightness keys (Fn+Pgup or Pgdwn) are not working fine. The
    >GUI indication is happening but the Brightness is neither going down
    >nor up.

    thats ok

    >But if in ROOT console i manipulate brightness through the proc file
    >system, then brightness is getting changed.
    >
    >This brings down brightness
    >echo 4 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
    >
    >This brings up brightness
    >echo 5 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
    >
    >During this too i am getting the GUI indication from the tpb module.
    >
    >Any suggestions on how to debug this?? I am using KDE 3.5.9

    you have some players here..

    first the "thinkpad_acpi" kernel module
    - it handles all your special buttons
    - it has tweaks for varios old configs like the /proc interface
    - it allows to modify how the buttons should work

    old model:
    - the kernel did nothing
    - the userspace polled with tools like tpd the state and changed it
    - not a good solution

    new model:
    - the kernel handels everything
    - userspace has to tell the kernel how it should be done

    here is your problem. the thinkpad_acpi module per default doesn't
    handle brightness, because the newer X servers in combination with hal
    should do it.

    so take a look at
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...pi.txt;hb=HEAD
    Line: 534, Compatibility notes

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  3. Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    > I have installed Debian Lenny on my machine(Thinkpad R61i).
    > I am using
    > custom kernel 2.6.25.6 with changes for USB modems.
    > The ALSA sound module is working fine and the Volume keys
    > are working
    > with the GUI indication(volume is going up and down).
    >
    > But the Brightness keys (Fn+Pgup or Pgdwn) are not working
    > fine. The
    > GUI indication is happening but the Brightness is neither
    > going down
    > nor up.
    >
    > But if in ROOT console i manipulate brightness through the
    > proc file
    > system, then brightness is getting changed.
    >
    > This brings down brightness
    > echo 4 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
    >

    > This brings up brightness
    > echo 5 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
    >
    > During this too i am getting the GUI indication from the
    > tpb module.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to debug this?? I am using KDE 3.5.9
    >
    > Regards,
    > Umesh
    >

    > --

    You can try to replace the driver I had the same problem with Nvidia drivers. Try new one!

    ------------------------------------

    Live Free , Or Die!!! - Unix
    Use Linux!!!

    Home Page: http://systembreaker.org
    -----------------------------------

  4. Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    >> But if in ROOT console i manipulate brightness through the proc file
    >> system, then brightness is getting changed.
    >>
    >> This brings down brightness
    >> echo 4 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
    >>
    >> This brings up brightness
    >> echo 5 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
    >>
    >> During this too i am getting the GUI indication from the tpb module.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how to debug this?? I am using KDE 3.5.9

    > you have some players here..
    >
    > first the "thinkpad_acpi" kernel module
    > - it handles all your special buttons
    > - it has tweaks for varios old configs like the /proc interface
    > - it allows to modify how the buttons should work
    >
    > old model:
    > - the kernel did nothing
    > - the userspace polled with tools like tpd the state and changed it
    > - not a good solution
    >
    > new model:
    > - the kernel handels everything
    > - userspace has to tell the kernel how it should be done
    > here is your problem. the thinkpad_acpi module per default doesn't
    > handle brightness, because the newer X servers in combination with hal
    > should do it.
    >

    > so take a look at
    > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...pi.txt;hb=HEAD
    > Line: 534, Compatibility notes
    >
    > --
    > Florian Reitmeir

    I suppose R61i has ACPI backlight control. But i compiled the kernel
    with ACPI video enabled. Will that not take care of this issue? Is
    there something to do with Root and User permissions?can u give more
    inputs regarding section starting from line 607( Lenovo models *with*
    ACPI backlight control) in the above text, like what steps i can do
    to debug this?

    Thanks and regards,
    Umesh

  5. Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    > You can try to replace the driver I had the same problem with Nvidia drivers. Try new one!

    I updated my xorg-intel driver last week, as there was a mail
    regarding it being updated. Still the same issue.

    Regards,
    Umesh

  6. Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    > 'xbacklight - simple utility to set the backlight level'
    >
    > but.. thinkpad_acpi will handle the keys for you.

    I installed xbacklight, but it does not seem to solve the problem, no
    brightness control with Fn keys. I tried invoking in frm the root
    terminal, but the following error comes:

    Cannot open display "debian:0.0"

    Any inputs?

    Regards,
    Umesh

  7. Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    > if you get this message one of the following things is true:
    > - you are on the wrong host

    Not sure about that. I logged in as user. cannot login as root into X.

    > - you screwed up your X session

    Not sure about that either. But recently i updated the Xorg intel .
    Would this have messed up the Xorg conf.

    > - no other X programm is working

    yes. X session is running.

    > - your entries in /etc/hosts are wrong

    Below is the etc/hosts entirs :
    -----------
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 debian

    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    -----------

    > - someone/sometool set the DISPLAY env variable wrong

    I was doing some experiments using export DISPLAY for the problem.
    That y the DISPLAY was showing "debian:0.0.
    I have rebooted and below is the DISPLAY varibales:
    ---------
    debian:~# echo $DISPLAY
    :0.0
    debian:~# xbacklight -get
    No protocol specified
    Cannot open display ":0.0"
    debian:~#
    ---------

    > if you are on the correct host, with the correct user:
    > then setting DISPLAY to :0.0 should work.

    Still not working

    > but normal if you get the error, no other X programm like firefox,
    > xclock, any kde or gnome programm is working.

    Other X programs are runnig : iceweasel, KPPP dialler , ktorrent etc

    Any inputs regarding the above?

    Regards,
    Umesh

  8. Smile Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys

    I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! PLEASE READ AND COPY TO OTHER FORUMS! I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Like most of you, the Fn + Down would dim the screen, however, Fn + Up would not brighten in. This is a bug that dell/intel cannot fix. There are patches that utilize linux, however, if you want the easiest way to fix the problem this is it: DOWNLOAD DARKADAPTED 2.3.4 BUILD 208. You can find it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-5641.html This is the latest version, but if the link doesn't work, look for a newer version. This program fixes the bug and allows you to adjust all the video options from the same menu. You can email your thanks and praise to me at agnostictruth@hotmail.com

+ Reply to Thread