Booting Multi OS's, Grub & ext3 - Debian

This is a discussion on Booting Multi OS's, Grub & ext3 - Debian ; Apparently not all ext3 file systems are the same anymore and is the reason you get "Error 2: Bad File or Directory Type" when you copy and paste the boot syntax for that brand new shiny OS you just installed ...

  1. Booting Multi OS's, Grub & ext3

    Apparently not all ext3 file systems are the same anymore and is the
    reason you get "Error 2: Bad File or Directory Type" when you copy and
    paste the boot syntax for that brand new shiny OS you just installed to
    your existing menu.lst, when did ext3 change, I really don't know, but
    now it supports larger files!?!, there is a fix for this but can destroy
    your data, so I didn't want to get into the fix.

    To recap the problem, you install a new OS and copy-paste the boot
    syntax to your existing menu.lst, you get "Error 2: Bad File or
    Directory Type" and the new OS won't boot, because there is difference
    in ?file system types?, the solution is easy, just get it to boot off of
    it's own boot menu.lst that you have installed to it's root and here's
    how, copy & paste this to your existing menu.lst:

    title Debian Lenny
    rootnoverify (hd0,7)
    chainloader +1

    Of course you will make the "title" for what ever OS you want and make
    sure "rootnoverify" points to the partition that has the OS you want to
    boot, the "chainloader" will always be the same, that's it, simple huh?

    I have so far tested this on Mandriva 2008, OpenSUSE 11.0 and the latest
    build of Debian Lenny, worked every time.

    Tip, the root menu.lst that you are booting needs to time out before
    booting, I change that to 3 seconds, it's enough time to access the menu
    if I want, but still boots fast enough to not be annoying.

    I have been fighting this problem for along time now and not really
    understanding what the problem was, it feels good to finally have a
    solution and is the reason for this post.
    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    Debian GNU/Linux Stable - Registered Linux User #380263 - "Software is
    like sex, it's better when it's free": Linus Torvalds

  2. Re: Booting Multi OS's, Grub & ext3

    Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:43:36 -0700 From: Jimmy Johnson
    Subject: Booting Multi OS's, Grub & ext3 Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lines:
    37 Message-ID: <48a0964b$0$7801$2318a52a@unlimited.newshosting.com>

    (his sig file being commented upon here)

    > Debian GNU/Linux Stable - Registered Linux User #380263 - "Software is
    > like sex, it's better when it's free": Linus Torvalds

    Unless, of course, it's "free" Windows software which *may* have a STD
    (Software Transmitted Disease). .

    --
    sk8r-365

  3. Re: Booting Multi OS's, Grub & ext3

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    > (his sig file being commented upon here)
    >
    >> Debian GNU/Linux Stable - Registered Linux User #380263 - "Software is
    >> like sex, it's better when it's free": Linus Torvalds

    > Unless, of course, it's "free" Windows software which *may* have a STD
    > (Software Transmitted Disease). .

    That's a given.
    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    Debian GNU/Linux Lenny - Registered Linux User #380263 - "Software is
    like sex, it's better when it's free": Linus Torvalds

+ Reply to Thread