Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer - Debian

This is a discussion on Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer - Debian ; This is going to be so much fun trying to explain this one! I'm currently running a dual boot on two hard drives. WinXP on the master (HD0) and Debian Etch on the slave (HD1). I wanted to try out ...

  1. Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    This is going to be so much fun trying to explain this one! I'm currently
    running a dual boot on two hard drives. WinXP on the master (HD0) and
    Debian Etch on the slave (HD1). I wanted to try out Lenny (Testing) but was
    unwilling to risk anything going wrong, I'm still fairly new to all this
    Linux stuff. So I unplugged my main hard drives, plugged in an old 15gb I
    had laying around, and installed Lenny on that. Everything went fine with
    the install and it runs well. I didn't really play around with it all that
    much. Now comes the fun part, here's what I want to try doing:

    Boot up with my Gparted disc and resize my Etch partition and create a new
    partition to copy Lenny to. It's a 80GB drive currently configured to 60GB
    for the file system and the rest for Swap. At present using only 10GB of
    space.

    Unplug my WinXP drive and plug in my 15GB with Lenny on it.

    Boot up with my Super Grub disc and have it boot into Etch. (When I
    installed Etch I installed the Grub boot loader on HD0 and that has
    control)

    Here's the part I'm not sure about. I've been going through the synaptic
    package manager looking for a hard drive data transfer utility program. To
    be honest, I don't know what to look for or even if there is one. I'm
    assuming that of course it's fully possible to do a clone/copy/data
    transfer from one hard drive to another in Linux much the same as I would
    in Windows. Or is it just a matter of simply copying all the files from one
    drive to the other. Of course, remembering to add an entry in the Menu.lst
    file for Lenny.

    The main reason I want to do this is because during the install Lenny did
    the update thing and that took longer to do than downloading the ISO file.
    It would certainly take me less time to set up everything up and copying
    the files, assuming I can do that.

  2. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in

    > Ghost 4 Linux
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it didn't work out that well, I never got
    as far as transfering anything. I'm not sure what the problem is but my Etch
    drive is kaput. For now I had to reset the MBR to windows and deal with
    fixing whatever is wrong with it later. I think I'll add a sig line for this
    occasion.

    Mike

    "Experimentation can be fun, but only when it goes right."

  3. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    SINNER wrote:

    > Ghost 4 Linux
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

    I use g4u www.feyrer.de/g4u/ it's never failed, but some people fail to
    make the new boot partition active and then wonder why it won't boot.
    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    Debian GNU/Linux Stable - Registered Linux User #380263 - "Software is
    like sex, it's better when it's free": Linus Torvalds

  4. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    Jimmy Johnson wrote in news:489e9feb$0$7776
    $2318a52a@unlimited.newshosting.com:

    > I use g4u www.feyrer.de/g4u/ it's never failed, but some people fail to
    > make the new boot partition active and then wonder why it won't boot.

    I didn't even get as far as partitioning. :-) My slave drive isn't even
    showing up in my BIOS. So it's either one of two things - bad cable connector
    or the drive itself is toast. I already ruled out the power connector.
    Replace the cable and see what happens. Bummer if it's the drive, but oh
    well, it was just an old drive I was using to expirement with anyway.

    Mike

  5. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    Mike wrote:
    > Jimmy Johnson wrote in news:489e9feb$0$7776
    > $2318a52a@unlimited.newshosting.com:
    >
    >> I use g4u www.feyrer.de/g4u/ it's never failed, but some people fail to
    >> make the new boot partition active and then wonder why it won't boot.

    > I didn't even get as far as partitioning. :-) My slave drive isn't even
    > showing up in my BIOS. So it's either one of two things - bad cable connector
    > or the drive itself is toast. I already ruled out the power connector.
    > Replace the cable and see what happens. Bummer if it's the drive, but oh
    > well, it was just an old drive I was using to expirement with anyway.

    Is (are) the drive(s) jumpered correctly? Don't assume without checking
    that "Cable Select" is supported _and_ selected for an old drive.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  6. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    Mike wrote:
    > Jimmy Johnson wrote in news:489e9feb$0$7776
    > $2318a52a@unlimited.newshosting.com:
    >
    >> I use g4u www.feyrer.de/g4u/ it's never failed, but some people fail to
    >> make the new boot partition active and then wonder why it won't boot.

    > I didn't even get as far as partitioning. :-) My slave drive isn't even
    > showing up in my BIOS. So it's either one of two things - bad cable connector
    > or the drive itself is toast. I already ruled out the power connector.
    > Replace the cable and see what happens. Bummer if it's the drive, but oh
    > well, it was just an old drive I was using to expirement with anyway.

    Drive pinning:
    http://www.certiguide.com/aplush/cg_...leSelectCS.htm

    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    Debian GNU/Linux Stable - Registered Linux User #380263 - "Software is
    like sex, it's better when it's free": Linus Torvalds

  7. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    Kees Theunissen wrote in

    > Is (are) the drive(s) jumpered correctly? Don't assume without checking
    > that "Cable Select" is supported _and_ selected for an old drive.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kees.

    Kees,

    I know you're trying to help but I had to laugh a little at 'cable select'.

    It's not a question of jumper settings, and it's not that old of a drive.
    Even if it were, I have rarely in 25 years of working with computers have
    ever seen the need to use the cable select jumper setting. Certainly not on
    any computer or hard drives I've ever used.

    The drive is a door-stop. It just chose that particular time to die. It
    wouldn't have mattered what I did, it would have died just the same.

    Mike

  8. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    Mike wrote:
    > Kees Theunissen wrote in
    >
    >> Is (are) the drive(s) jumpered correctly? Don't assume without checking
    >> that "Cable Select" is supported _and_ selected for an old drive.
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kees.

    > Kees,
    >
    > I know you're trying to help but I had to laugh a little at 'cable select'.
    >
    > It's not a question of jumper settings, and it's not that old of a drive.

    I'm wondering if we are talking about the same "cable select".
    I've seen it used for the first time on a Pentrium Pro system (Dell
    Dimension XPSPro 200n, IIRC) and it has been in _very_ common use since
    then. So I can't place your "it's not that old of a drive".
    All ide/ata drives produced in the last 10 years or more support it.
    Most of them left the factory jumpered that way I guess.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  9. Re: Linux & Cloning / Data Transfer

    Kees Theunissen wrote in

    > I'm wondering if we are talking about the same "cable select".
    > I've seen it used for the first time on a Pentrium Pro system (Dell
    > Dimension XPSPro 200n, IIRC) and it has been in _very_ common use since
    > then. So I can't place your "it's not that old of a drive".
    > All ide/ata drives produced in the last 10 years or more support it.
    > Most of them left the factory jumpered that way I guess.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kees.

    "Cable Select" was around before then, it was just called something
    else.:-) An 80GB drive isn't that old, or rather that outdated. I can't see
    any need to use that setting on my drives, in fact it would certainly cause
    problems if I did. At any rate, this is all irrelevant to the problem I was
    having and the solution I was trying. I've since installed a new hard
    drive, got Lenny installed, and everything runs great. Well, so far, I'm
    hoping Lenny Testing isn't going to cause to many problems with any
    possible buggines.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread