Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008 - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008 - Debian ; As Robert Millan brought to my attention, in my enthusiasm to present our progress towards fully Lenny support for the Eee in the best possible light, my announcement muddied the distinction between Lenny and non-free when I said that the ...

  1. Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008

    As Robert Millan brought to my attention, in my enthusiasm to present
    our progress towards fully Lenny support for the Eee in the best
    possible light, my announcement muddied the distinction between Lenny
    and non-free when I said that the earliest Eee models are now "fully
    supported" in Lenny. I have corrected my blog article to make it clear
    that full support will not be realized until we have ath5k. The new
    first point of the article reads:

    Earliest Eee models supported in Lenny

    Lenny will release with the atl2 ethernet driver and the non-free
    madwifi-source now works with the earliest Eee models as well, so our
    patched version is no longer needed. This means Lenny will work with
    all of the earliest models of the Eee PC: 701 (2G and 4G surf, 4G, 8G)
    and 900! All we need now for full support in Lenny is to replace the
    non-free wireless driver with the free ath5k driver when it is ready.

    Sorry for the confusion,
    Ben
    --
    ,-. nSLUG http://www.nslug.ns.ca synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
    \`' Debian http://www.debian.org synrg@debian.org

  2. Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008

    Ben Armstrong writes:

    > Earliest Eee models supported in Lenny
    >
    > Lenny will release with the atl2 ethernet driver and the non-free
    > madwifi-source now works with the earliest Eee models as well

    […]

    > Sorry for the confusion,

    Thanks very much for correcting this important distinction, and
    congratulations to you and all the team for continued progress!

    --
    \ “Our task must be to free ourselves from our prison by widening |
    `\ our circle of compassion to embrace all humanity and the whole |

  3. Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008

    On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 10:11:32AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
    > As Robert Millan brought to my attention, in my enthusiasm to present
    > our progress towards fully Lenny support for the Eee in the best
    > possible light, my announcement muddied the distinction between Lenny
    > and non-free when I said that the earliest Eee models are now "fully
    > supported" in Lenny. I have corrected my blog article to make it clear
    > that full support will not be realized until we have ath5k. The new
    > first point of the article reads:
    >
    > Earliest Eee models supported in Lenny
    >
    > Lenny will release with the atl2 ethernet driver and the non-free
    > madwifi-source now works with the earliest Eee models as well, so our
    > patched version is no longer needed. This means Lenny will work with
    > all of the earliest models of the Eee PC: 701 (2G and 4G surf, 4G, 8G)
    > and 900! All we need now for full support in Lenny is to replace the
    > non-free wireless driver with the free ath5k driver when it is ready.

    Thanks Ben.

    --
    Robert Millan