unblocking partman-multipath - Debian

This is a discussion on unblocking partman-multipath - Debian ; Hi, please unblock partman-multipath. There's no version in lenny yet. This way folks building custom installers (due to #440675) can pull from lenny instead of sid. Cheers, -- Guido -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-release-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. unblocking partman-multipath

    Hi,
    please unblock partman-multipath. There's no version in lenny yet. This
    way folks building custom installers (due to #440675) can pull from
    lenny instead of sid.
    Cheers,
    -- Guido

  2. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

  3. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    * Otavio Salvador [Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:28:24 -0300]:

    > > Hi,
    > > please unblock partman-multipath. There's no version in lenny yet. This
    > > way folks building custom installers (due to #440675) can pull from
    > > lenny instead of sid.

    > Hello Guido,

    > Let's see if we can (I and you) produce a patch Parted's 1.8 branch
    > using the fixes we made for 1.9.

    > I won't upload 1.9 for Debian now and if we do it fast, after Parted
    > migrates to lenny, we might test it and try to get an
    > exception. However until that is done, I wouldn't like to have unused
    > udebs on lenny.

    Honest question: why? Does it have any negative impact?

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    Any life, no matter how long and complex it may be, is made up of a
    single moment: the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all,
    who he is.
    -- Jorge Luis Borges

  4. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    Adeodato Simó writes:

    > * Otavio Salvador [Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:28:24 -0300]:
    >
    >> > Hi,
    >> > please unblock partman-multipath. There's no version in lenny yet. This
    >> > way folks building custom installers (due to #440675) can pull from
    >> > lenny instead of sid.

    >> Hello Guido,

    >> Let's see if we can (I and you) produce a patch Parted's 1.8 branch
    >> using the fixes we made for 1.9.

    >> I won't upload 1.9 for Debian now and if we do it fast, after Parted
    >> migrates to lenny, we might test it and try to get an
    >> exception. However until that is done, I wouldn't like to have unused
    >> udebs on lenny.

    > Honest question: why? Does it have any negative impact?

    Well, if it is not useful for the user why put it in lenny? If someone
    needs to make a custom image with a compiled parted, he can grab that
    udeb and put together. I see no gains in have it on lenny.

    Guido is in the way of providing a proposed patch with that backported
    from 1.9 version of parted. Depending on how deepth is that, I'll try
    to get an exception for that from RT and then we'll have a proper
    multipath support on lenny.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116

  5. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    Hi Otavio,
    On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 09:03:39AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Adeodato Sim writes:
    >
    > > * Otavio Salvador [Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:28:24 -0300]:

    > >> Hello Guido,

    > >> Let's see if we can (I and you) produce a patch Parted's 1.8 branch
    > >> using the fixes we made for 1.9.

    > >> I won't upload 1.9 for Debian now and if we do it fast, after Parted
    > >> migrates to lenny, we might test it and try to get an
    > >> exception. However until that is done, I wouldn't like to have unused
    > >> udebs on lenny.

    > > Honest question: why? Does it have any negative impact?

    > Well, if it is not useful for the user why put it in lenny? If someone
    > needs to make a custom image with a compiled parted, he can grab that
    > udeb and put together. I see no gains in have it on lenny.

    I disagree here. The partman-multipath udeb works with lenny. Once we
    make a new upload to unstable it will be "gone" and must be extracted
    from SVN. We're giving people trying to run Debian on HA workloads a
    hard time already by not caring much. We could try to ease these things
    at least.
    Cheers,
    -- Guido

  6. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    Guido Günther writes:

    > Hi Otavio,
    > On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 09:03:39AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> Adeodato Simó writes:
    >>
    >> > * Otavio Salvador [Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:28:24 -0300]:

    >> > Honest question: why? Does it have any negative impact?

    >> Well, if it is not useful for the user why put it in lenny? If someone
    >> needs to make a custom image with a compiled parted, he can grab that
    >> udeb and put together. I see no gains in have it on lenny.

    > I disagree here. The partman-multipath udeb works with lenny. Once we
    > make a new upload to unstable it will be "gone" and must be extracted
    > from SVN. We're giving people trying to run Debian on HA workloads a
    > hard time already by not caring much. We could try to ease these things
    > at least.

    Let's make a deal. Let's see how parted patch goes and we revisit it
    later if we decide to not go foward with parted patching for
    lenny. Can be?

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  7. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 08:28:24AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:

    > Guido Gnther writes:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > please unblock partman-multipath. There's no version in lenny yet. This
    > > way folks building custom installers (due to #440675) can pull from
    > > lenny instead of sid.

    > Hello Guido,
    >
    > Let's see if we can (I and you) produce a patch Parted's 1.8 branch
    > using the fixes we made for 1.9.
    >
    > I won't upload 1.9 for Debian now and if we do it fast, after Parted
    > migrates to lenny, we might test it and try to get an
    > exception. However until that is done, I wouldn't like to have unused
    > udebs on lenny.

    I've ported the necessary patches from 1.9 + the Debian specific parts
    over to Debian's 1.8:
    http://git.debian.org/?p=users/agx/p....git;a=summary
    I can attach one patch that goes into debian/patches to the BTS once
    you've reviewed that.
    Cheers,
    -- Guido

  8. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

  9. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 08:58:19AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > RT would be acceptable for you to have this mini transition now? That
    > is the last missing part to fully support multipath on d-i.

    Unfortunately that's not entirely true: we're also still lacking grub2
    patches but Robert wanted to work on it (#483971). It is indeed the last
    missing udeb so we (hopefully) won't have to touch d-i for that anymore.

    Anyways: providing a patched grub later on is far easier than telling
    people they'll have to rebuild d-i for multipath.
    Cheers,
    -- Guido

  10. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    * Otavio Salvador [Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:58:19 -0300]:

    > Guido Günther writes:
    > > I've ported the necessary patches from 1.9 + the Debian specific parts
    > > over to Debian's 1.8:
    > > http://git.debian.org/?p=users/agx/p....git;a=summary

    > Patch looks OK. It is not invassive but due the new attribute on
    > LinuxSpecific we'll have a different ABI.

    > RT would be acceptable for you to have this mini transition now? That
    > is the last missing part to fully support multipath on d-i.

    Mini transition of what? libparted1.8-9 -> libparted1.8-10? Since the
    1.8 transition itself hasn't happened yet (any news about that,
    Otavio?), I guess we could squeeze it in, but... please assess: is the
    patch safe at this stage for the installer?

    Cheers,

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    When all is summed up, a man never speaks of himself without loss; his
    accusations of himself are always believed; his praises never.
    -- Michel de Montaigne

  11. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    Adeodato Simó writes:

    > Mini transition of what? libparted1.8-9 -> libparted1.8-10? Since the
    > 1.8 transition itself hasn't happened yet (any news about that,
    > Otavio?), I guess we could squeeze it in, but... please assess: is the
    > patch safe at this stage for the installer?

    Yes. libparted1.8-9 -> libparted1.8-10.

    Parted is ready on sid. I've uploaded it and the bug reporter
    confirmed it works. (#488374)

    I'd say to migrate it all and do this mini transition on sid. Most of
    packages are from d-i team and few from outside but binNMU should
    handle them.

    The patch itself is very specific and I'd do tests to avoid it
    breaking any stuff. Anyway I'd like to do that ASAP to get testing
    from dailies and be sure of that. This depends on RT decision about
    the ABI bump.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  12. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    Hi Otavio,
    On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 05:53:09PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > adeodato sim writes:
    >
    > > Mini transition of what? libparted1.8-9 -> libparted1.8-10? Since the
    > > 1.8 transition itself hasn't happened yet (any news about that,
    > > Otavio?), I guess we could squeeze it in, but... please assess: is the
    > > patch safe at this stage for the installer?

    > Yes. libparted1.8-9 -> libparted1.8-10.
    >
    > Parted is ready on sid. I've uploaded it and the bug reporter
    > confirmed it works. (#488374)
    >
    > I'd say to migrate it all and do this mini transition on sid. Most of
    > packages are from d-i team and few from outside but binNMU should
    > handle them.
    >
    > The patch itself is very specific and I'd do tests to avoid it
    > breaking any stuff. Anyway I'd like to do that ASAP to get testing
    > from dailies and be sure of that. This depends on RT decision about
    > the ABI bump.

    Any news on this one? I'll do some more d-i testing on multipath next
    week and it would be great if I could do this from daily builds.
    Cheers,
    -- Guido

  13. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    On Thursday 07 August 2008, Guido Gnther wrote:
    > Any news on this one? I'll do some more d-i testing on multipath next
    > week and it would be great if I could do this from daily builds.

    You *can* do this from daily builds as daily builds use udebs from
    unstable.

    I completely agree with Otavio that the partman-multipath udeb should only
    migrate to testing _after_ it has been verified to work with daily builds
    using a version of partman available in unstable.

    If you want to build custom images then you should be doing so using udebs
    from unstable anyway. All D-I development should be based on unstable. If
    your system is running testing or stable, that simply means setting up an
    unstable chroot.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  14. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:52:38AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
    > On Thursday 07 August 2008, Guido Gnther wrote:
    > > Any news on this one? I'll do some more d-i testing on multipath next
    > > week and it would be great if I could do this from daily builds.

    > You *can* do this from daily builds as daily builds use udebs from
    > unstable.

    No I can't since the parted udeb lacks the necessary patches (#440675).
    -- Guido

  15. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    On Thursday 07 August 2008, Guido Gnther wrote:
    > On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:52:38AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
    > > On Thursday 07 August 2008, Guido Gnther wrote:
    > > > Any news on this one? I'll do some more d-i testing on multipath
    > > > next week and it would be great if I could do this from daily
    > > > builds.

    > > You *can* do this from daily builds as daily builds use udebs from
    > > unstable.

    > No I can't since the parted udeb lacks the necessary patches (#440675).

    Right, and I never said you could.

    I'm only saying that migrating the partman-multipath udeb to testing does
    not change anything in your ability to test things. You will always need
    an updated version of the libparted udeb.

    Migrating the partman-multipath udeb to testing is very simply not an
    option until we can also migrate a libparted-udeb that works with it.

  16. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:36:39PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
    > On Thursday 07 August 2008, Guido Gnther wrote:
    > > >
    > > > You *can* do this from daily builds as daily builds use udebs from
    > > > unstable.

    > > No I can't since the parted udeb lacks the necessary patches (#440675).

    > Right, and I never said you could.
    >
    > I'm only saying that migrating the partman-multipath udeb to testing does
    > not change anything in your ability to test things. You will always need
    > an updated version of the libparted udeb.

    That's exactly why I asked if anything happened on the udeb 1.8 front.
    Sorry if you misinterpreted that for being about partman-multipath.
    -- Guido

  17. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    Guido Günther writes:

    > On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:36:39PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

    >> > No I can't since the parted udeb lacks the necessary patches (#440675).

    >> Right, and I never said you could.
    >>
    >> I'm only saying that migrating the partman-multipath udeb to testing does
    >> not change anything in your ability to test things. You will always need
    >> an updated version of the libparted udeb.

    > That's exactly why I asked if anything happened on the udeb 1.8 front.
    > Sorry if you misinterpreted that for being about partman-multipath.

    We wanted to get current parted 1.8 in testing before starting
    deciding if we can affort that or not. This is at RT hands now.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  18. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    * Guido Günther [Thu, 07 Aug 2008 09:28:19 +0200]:

    > Hi Otavio,
    > On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 05:53:09PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > > adeodato simó writes:

    > > > Mini transition of what? libparted1.8-9 -> libparted1.8-10? Since the
    > > > 1.8 transition itself hasn't happened yet (any news about that,
    > > > Otavio?), I guess we could squeeze it in, but... please assess: is the
    > > > patch safe at this stage for the installer?

    > > Yes. libparted1.8-9 -> libparted1.8-10.

    > > Parted is ready on sid. I've uploaded it and the bug reporter
    > > confirmed it works. (#488374)

    > > I'd say to migrate it all and do this mini transition on sid. Most of
    > > packages are from d-i team and few from outside but binNMU should
    > > handle them.

    > > The patch itself is very specific and I'd do tests to avoid it
    > > breaking any stuff. Anyway I'd like to do that ASAP to get testing
    > > from dailies and be sure of that. This depends on RT decision about
    > > the ABI bump.

    > Any news on this one? I'll do some more d-i testing on multipath next
    > week and it would be great if I could do this from daily builds.

    Yes, you can do it, I'll manage the mini-transition again.

    Cheers,

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty,
    and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a
    scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
    -- Matt Cartmill

  19. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    Adeodato Simó writes:

    >> Any news on this one? I'll do some more d-i testing on multipath next
    >> week and it would be great if I could do this from daily builds.

    > Yes, you can do it, I'll manage the mini-transition again.

    Thanks a lot. I'll try to do that later today/tomorrow.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  20. Re: unblocking partman-multipath

    On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 02:17:14PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Adeodato Sim writes:
    >
    > >> Any news on this one? I'll do some more d-i testing on multipath next
    > >> week and it would be great if I could do this from daily builds.

    > > Yes, you can do it, I'll manage the mini-transition again.

    > Thanks a lot. I'll try to do that later today/tomorrow.

    Let me know if I can be of any help. Uptodate patches are in the BTS.
    Putting these into debian/patches should do the trick.
    Cheers,
    -- Guido

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast