suppressing DSN postfix - Debian

This is a discussion on suppressing DSN postfix - Debian ; We're running postfix Our primary mail server was off-line for 4 days. (We were at the mercy of state employees who don't work holidays) 24 hours into the problem , we setup a backup MX w/ only filtering being the ...

  1. suppressing DSN postfix

    We're running postfix

    Our primary mail server was off-line for 4 days. (We were at the mercy
    of state employees who don't work holidays)

    24 hours into the problem , we setup a backup MX w/ only filtering being
    the postfix relay_domains parameter.

    Our primary (and ordinary only) mail server rejects SPAM and viruses @
    RECPT time.

    As I release mail in 20 message chunks from the 3000 message backlog on
    the secondary , I'm generating a good bit of backscatter.

    Is there any easy automatic way to move DSN (delivery service
    notification) messages into the hold queue on the secondary so I can
    deal with them at my leasure?

    Am I explaining the problem clearly enough ?

  2. Re: suppressing DSN postfix

    On Mon July 7 2008 15:16:12 Dan MacNeil wrote:
    > We're running postfix
    >
    > Our primary mail server was off-line for 4 days. (We were at the mercy
    > of state employees who don't work holidays)
    >
    > 24 hours into the problem , we setup a backup MX w/ only filtering being
    > the postfix relay_domains parameter.
    >
    > Our primary (and ordinary only) mail server rejects SPAM and viruses @
    > RECPT time.
    >
    > As I release mail in 20 message chunks from the 3000 message backlog on
    > the secondary , I'm generating a good bit of backscatter.
    >
    > Is there any easy automatic way to move DSN (delivery service
    > notification) messages into the hold queue on the secondary so I can
    > deal with them at my leasure?
    >

    > Am I explaining the problem clearly enough ?

    I hope there's a clean solution, but if not you could temporarily block
    outbound SMTP (e.g. with iptables), process the backlog, then use some
    grep/awk magic to purge the backscatter from the mailq.

    --Mike Bird

  3. Re: suppressing DSN postfix

    bottom posting 'cause I'm kwel

    Mike Bird wrote:
    > On Mon July 7 2008 15:16:12 Dan MacNeil wrote:
    >> We're running postfix
    >>
    >> Our primary mail server was off-line for 4 days. (We were at the mercy
    >> of state employees who don't work holidays)
    >>
    >> 24 hours into the problem , we setup a backup MX w/ only filtering being
    >> the postfix relay_domains parameter.
    >>
    >> Our primary (and ordinary only) mail server rejects SPAM and viruses @
    >> RECPT time.
    >>
    >> As I release mail in 20 message chunks from the 3000 message backlog on
    >> the secondary , I'm generating a good bit of backscatter.
    >>
    >> Is there any easy automatic way to move DSN (delivery service
    >> notification) messages into the hold queue on the secondary so I can
    >> deal with them at my leasure?
    >>

    >> Am I explaining the problem clearly enough ?

    > --Mike Bird
    > I hope there's a clean solution, but if not you could temporarily block
    > outbound SMTP (e.g. with iptables), process the backlog, then use some
    > grep/awk magic to purge the backscatter from the mailq.

    Thanks.

    I think I have it going.

    # In /etc/postfix/main.cf

    # apply checks to bounce and notify
    internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce notify

    # use these body checks
    body_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/body_checks

    # in /etc/postfix/body_checks

    /5.7.1.*Your message looks like SPAM please contact intended recipient/
    HOLD move spam backscatter to hold queue
    / 550 Virus Detected;/
    HOLD move backscatter virus to hold queue