Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu - Debian ; On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:41:30 -0400 Joey Hess wrote: > Mikhail Gusarov wrote: > > fd.o menus are designed to allow distro-specific policy. It's the > > matter of Debian KDE/Gnome packaging/menu policy to get the proper > > ...

  1. Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:41:30 -0400
    Joey Hess wrote:

    > Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
    > > fd.o menus are designed to allow distro-specific policy. It's the
    > > matter of Debian KDE/Gnome packaging/menu policy to get the proper
    > > subset of the packages in menu (e.g. moving Gnome/gtk applications
    > > deeper in KDE menu and Qt/KDE - in Gnome one).

    > That might work for gnome and kde, which are both fairly well defined,
    > to ignore menu items belonging to each other, but won't it be a game
    > of whack-a-mole for the rest of the things with menu entries?

    And depends on the package maintainer being cooperative. Because there
    is no debian policy on this if a package maintainer disagrees they
    don't have to hide their menu entry.

    --
    And that's my crabbing done for the day. Got it out of the way early,
    strangle cute bunnies or something. -- Michael Devore

  2. Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

    Le lundi 07 juillet 2008 Ã* 02:48 -0400, Daniel Dickinson a écrit :
    > And depends on the package maintainer being cooperative. Because there
    > is no debian policy on this if a package maintainer disagrees they
    > don't have to hide their menu entry.

    Yes, that’s probably the most important issue with the current
    situation; nothing prevents the Java maintainer from adding a useless
    "Java policy tool" icon in the Preferences menu, even though it has
    nothing to do with the preferences and no one except a small number of
    professional Java developers will have anything to do with it.

    --
    .''`.
    `- our own. Resistance is futile.

+ Reply to Thread