Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu - Debian ; On 2008-07-06, Mikhail Gusarov wrote: > fd.o menus are designed to allow distro-specific policy. It's the matter > of Debian KDE/Gnome packaging/menu policy to get the proper subset of > the packages in menu (e.g. moving Gnome/gtk applications deeper in ...

  1. Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

    On 2008-07-06, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
    > fd.o menus are designed to allow distro-specific policy. It's the matter
    > of Debian KDE/Gnome packaging/menu policy to get the proper subset of
    > the packages in menu (e.g. moving Gnome/gtk applications deeper in KDE
    > menu and Qt/KDE - in Gnome one).

    I actually don't like this - just as I don't like the "kde" and "gnome"
    package sections.

    The users should have equal access to good programs.

    Most people (no matter what desktop they are using) thinks that
    - amarok is better than the gnome equivalent (rythmbox?)
    - gimp is better than the kde equivalent (released versions of krita)
    - kontact and evolution - fits different to different people

    At least, the KDE section seems to be a nice dumping ground for anything
    that links against kdelibs - and in some cases just Qt.

    /Sune

  2. Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

    On Sun, Jul 06, 2008, Sune Vuorela wrote:
    > On 2008-07-06, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
    > > fd.o menus are designed to allow distro-specific policy. It's the matter
    > > of Debian KDE/Gnome packaging/menu policy to get the proper subset of
    > > the packages in menu (e.g. moving Gnome/gtk applications deeper in KDE
    > > menu and Qt/KDE - in Gnome one).

    > I actually don't like this - just as I don't like the "kde" and "gnome"
    > package sections.
    >
    > The users should have equal access to good programs.

    Are you commenting on OnlyShowIn? This feature is not meant to list
    all GNOME-ish apps in GNOME and KDE-ish apps in KDE. It's meant to
    prevent some silly things to display across desktops. For instance
    "gnome-about" (About GNOME) shouldn't show in the KDE menus, nor should
    the configuration applets for window management, keyboard etc. which
    touch GNOME specific GConf settings, or nautilus-cd-burner...

    There are "only" 47 desktop files with OnlyShowIn on my system out of
    218 desktop files installed, so it's not used too wildly I would say.

    (Some of these are probably bogus.)

    > Most people (no matter what desktop they are using) thinks that
    > - amarok is better than the gnome equivalent (rythmbox?)

    there isn't "one" GNOME player; I don't know whether amarok is
    OnlyShowIn KDE, but Rhythmbox should show up in KDE menus, just like
    Banshee and I hope the other players as well (Quodlibet, etc.).

    > - gimp is better than the kde equivalent (released versions of krita)
    > - kontact and evolution - fits different to different people

    These don't have an OnlyShowIn here and should show up in KDE menus.

    --
    Loc Minier

  3. Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

    On 2008-07-06, Loc Minier wrote:
    >> > of Debian KDE/Gnome packaging/menu policy to get the proper subset of
    >> > the packages in menu (e.g. moving Gnome/gtk applications deeper in KDE
    >> > menu and Qt/KDE - in Gnome one).

    >> The users should have equal access to good programs.

    > Are you commenting on OnlyShowIn? This feature is not meant to list

    No. the thing that makes "moving Gnome/gtk application deeper in KDE
    menu..."

    /Sune

  4. Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

    Le dimanche 06 juillet 2008 21:01 +0200, Loc Minier a crit :
    > There are "only" 47 desktop files with OnlyShowIn on my system out of
    > 218 desktop files installed, so it's not used too wildly I would say.

    Well, there should be much more than that, see #478286 which is still
    here despite the fix being trivial.

    --
    .''`.
    `- our own. Resistance is futile.