Strange file problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Strange file problem - Debian ; Hello folks, i have some trouble about a strange file problem experienced after a filesystem [ReiserFS] crash. In the /var/run directory I have 3 files (sshd.pid, sudo, motd) that cannot be accessed in any way. I try to remove it ...

  1. Strange file problem

    Hello folks,
    i have some trouble about a strange file problem experienced after
    a filesystem [ReiserFS] crash.
    In the /var/run directory I have 3 files (sshd.pid, sudo, motd) that cannot
    be accessed in any way. I try to remove it but rm -f returns a
    "permission denied" message
    sshd doesn't work but sudo does. The Inode has value 0 in all cases.
    Have you got any ideas?

    --
    .''`. Andrea Ferraresi
    : :' : irc.FreeNode.net #lslug | JID 5p4wn@jabber.org

  2. Re: Strange file problem

    * Andrea Ferraresi :
    > Hello folks,
    > i have some trouble about a strange file problem experienced after
    > a filesystem [ReiserFS] crash.
    > In the /var/run directory I have 3 files (sshd.pid, sudo, motd) that cannot
    > be accessed in any way. I try to remove it but rm -f returns a
    > "permission denied" message
    > sshd doesn't work but sudo does. The Inode has value 0 in all cases.
    > Have you got any ideas?

    Have you tried a full filesystem check? Backup your data, such repair
    actions sometimes eat your data.

    --
    Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
    Charite - Universit├Ątsmedizin Berlin Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155

  3. Re: Strange file problem

    Andrea Ferraresi wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    > i have some trouble about a strange file problem experienced after
    > a filesystem [ReiserFS] crash.
    > In the /var/run directory I have 3 files (sshd.pid, sudo, motd) that cannot
    > be accessed in any way. I try to remove it but rm -f returns a
    > "permission denied" message
    > sshd doesn't work but sudo does. The Inode has value 0 in all cases.
    > Have you got any ideas?

    You may need to perform a reiserfsck --rebuild-tree

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/..._Recovery_Tips
    http://tinyurl.com/9pl2e

    This option rebuilds the entire file system tree using leaf nodes
    found on the device. Normally you only need this option if the --check
    option reports "corruption that can be fixed only during
    --rebuild-tree". You are strongly encouraged to make a backup copy of
    the whole partition before attempting the --rebuild-tree option.

    Good luck.

    --
    John H. Robinson, IV jaqque@debian.org
    http ((((

  4. Re: Strange file problem

    > Speaking as the person that added resierfs support to the Debian Boot
    > Floppies, all of my new filesystems are XFS.
    >
    > I have seen too many strange problems with reiserfs, such as the
    > undeletable files (i have abot three on one of my partitions still). I
    > have heard of lots more.
    >
    > WHile there was a lot of neat things scheduled for ResierFS4, it looks
    > like it will never see the light of day.
    >
    > Best of luck with the filesystems,

    ´╗┐Smartmontools doesn't recognize any hardware-related problem. Wellthe
    problem is filesystem-related, many other people have advised me about
    XFS and i will try it. Someone says that reiserfs-tools have been
    orphaned in debian i think that is not a case and is not just related to
    Reiser's law problem.
    Thanks for the help anyway.

    --
    |_|0|_| Andrea Ferraresi
    |_|_|0| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A
    |0|0|0| Registered Linux user #388877 and Machine #289399

+ Reply to Thread