Correct way to rename a binary package - Debian

  1. Correct way to rename a binary package

  2. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

    Ciao Luca,

    > I'll proceed in the following way for debian/control: rename
    > cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot and then create the transitional binary
    > package cl-hunchentoot which depends on hunchentoot.
    >
    > Is this OK? Do I need something else?

    in the binary section of hunchentoot, I think you have to add

    Replaces: cl-hunchentoot
    Conflicts: cl-hunchentoot

    (don't know if they have to be versioned) too, so when you upgrade
    cl-hunchentoot it will install hunchentoot but, since it conflicts
    with cl-hunchentoot, the transitional package *should* be removed.

    I did this for pyopenssl binary package transition, so you can may
    have a look at it.

    I'd like to hear some other suggestions, of course (there's always
    something to learn more ).

    Cheers,
    Sandro

  3. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Sandro Tosi wrote:

    >> I'll proceed in the following way for debian/control: rename
    >> cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot and then create the transitional binary
    >> package cl-hunchentoot which depends on hunchentoot.
    >>
    >> Is this OK? Do I need something else?

    > in the binary section of hunchentoot, I think you have to add
    >
    > Replaces: cl-hunchentoot
    > Conflicts: cl-hunchentoot

    If you want to provide a transitional binary package cl-hunchentoot
    which depends on hunchentoot you can't use this conflicts. If you
    would go *without* such a transitional package (and I think this
    is an alternative solution if there was no such package in any stable
    release) you should use this conflicts. In addition you should think
    about

    Provides: cl-hunchentoot

    if there are other packages that depend from the former package.

    Kind regards

    Andreas.

    --
    http://fam-tille.de

  4. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Andreas Tille wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Sandro Tosi wrote:
    >
    >>> I'll proceed in the following way for debian/control: rename
    >>> cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot and then create the transitional binary
    >>> package cl-hunchentoot which depends on hunchentoot.
    >>>
    >>> Is this OK? Do I need something else?

    >> in the binary section of hunchentoot, I think you have to add
    >>
    >> Replaces: cl-hunchentoot
    >> Conflicts: cl-hunchentoot

    > If you want to provide a transitional binary package cl-hunchentoot
    > which depends on hunchentoot you can't use this conflicts.

    That's why we use versioned Conflicts on the version that are non-empty.

    Cheers,
    --
    Raphaël Hertzog

  5. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

  6. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

    Luca Capello writes:

    > Package: hunchentoot
    > Version: 2.0
    > Provides: cl-hunchentoot [1]
    > Replace: cl-hunchentoot (<< 2.0)
    > Conflicts: cl-hunchentoot (<< 2.0)
    >
    > Package: cl-hunchentoot
    > Depends: hunchentoot
    >
    > Am I correct?

    I believe so, modulo one typo (Replace: vs. Replaces. Thanks for
    taking care to allow a smooth transition.

    http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu

  7. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

    Quoting Luca Capello (luca@pca.it):
    > Hi there!
    >
    > As explained at [1], I'm in the process of renaming the binary package
    > cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot to more closely follow upstream. Since
    > cl-hunchentoot is not in Etch, if I'm not wrong the new transitional
    > package can be dropped as soon as Lenny is released.
    >
    > I'll proceed in the following way for debian/control: rename
    > cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot and then create the transitional binary
    > package cl-hunchentoot which depends on hunchentoot.
    >
    > Is this OK? Do I need something else?

    IMHO, once you get a complete answer, adding this to the DevRef
    (assuming it is not already there) could be a good idea.

  8. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

    On Friday 13 June 2008 18:22, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > Quoting Luca Capello (luca@pca.it):

    > > As explained at [1], I'm in the process of renaming the binary package
    > > cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot to more closely follow upstream. Since
    > > cl-hunchentoot is not in Etch, if I'm not wrong the new transitional
    > > package can be dropped as soon as Lenny is released.
    > >
    > > I'll proceed in the following way for debian/control: rename
    > > cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot and then create the transitional binary
    > > package cl-hunchentoot which depends on hunchentoot.
    > >
    > > Is this OK? Do I need something else?

    > IMHO, once you get a complete answer, adding this to the DevRef
    > (assuming it is not already there) could be a good idea.

    BTW, there is also http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

  9. Re: Correct way to rename a binary package

    Luca Capello wrote:

    > Since I want to support smooth upgrades, I need to do the following:
    >
    > Package: hunchentoot
    > Version: 2.0
    > Provides: cl-hunchentoot [1]
    > Replace: cl-hunchentoot (<< 2.0)
    > Conflicts: cl-hunchentoot (<< 2.0)
    >
    > Package: cl-hunchentoot
    > Depends: hunchentoot

    I was under the impression the "conflicts" was considered bad (it makes
    upgrading from an old version of cl-hunchentoot to hunchentoot harder),
    and it was generally better to leave the conflicts out and rely on the
    replaces header alone.

    Or... maybe this is a slightly different situation.

    Brian May