[RFC] partman-auto: change standard file system to ext2 for /boot - Debian

This is a discussion on [RFC] partman-auto: change standard file system to ext2 for /boot - Debian ; I semi-regularly come across the advice to just use ext2 instead of ext3 for /boot partitions. As they are relatively small the journal overhead is fairly big and because the transaction volume is very low the need for a journal ...

  1. [RFC] partman-auto: change standard file system to ext2 for /boot

    I semi-regularly come across the advice to just use ext2 instead of ext3
    for /boot partitions. As they are relatively small the journal overhead
    is fairly big and because the transaction volume is very low the need for
    a journal is a lot less than on other partitions.

    If there are no objections I'll implement this change for all recipes that
    have a separate ext3 /boot, and for partman-auto-lvm.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  2. Re: [RFC] partman-auto: change standard file system to ext2 for /boot

    Frans Pop writes:

    > I semi-regularly come across the advice to just use ext2 instead of ext3
    > for /boot partitions. As they are relatively small the journal overhead
    > is fairly big and because the transaction volume is very low the need for
    > a journal is a lot less than on other partitions.
    >
    > If there are no objections I'll implement this change for all recipes that
    > have a separate ext3 /boot, and for partman-auto-lvm.

    I usually do that change byhand and I fully agree about it.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116

  3. Re: [RFC] partman-auto: change standard file system to ext2 for /boot

    On Thursday 12 June 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
    > I semi-regularly come across the advice to just use ext2 instead of
    > ext3 for /boot partitions. As they are relatively small the journal
    > overhead is fairly big and because the transaction volume is very low
    > the need for a journal is a lot less than on other partitions.
    >
    > If there are no objections I'll implement this change for all recipes
    > that have a separate ext3 /boot, and for partman-auto-lvm.

    Committed.
    Modified are the default recipes (used by x86) and recipes for the
    following arches/subarches:

    recipes-arm-iop32x
    recipes-armel-iop32x
    recipes-mips-sb1-bcm91250a