Apache in Lenny - Debian

This is a discussion on Apache in Lenny - Debian ; Hi, I had an Apache 2.2.3 installation on Etch which used to identify itself in the HTTP server response as "Apache 2.2.3 (Debian)." However, after successfully upgrading to Lenny for various PHP stuff, the server response just now reads "Apache." ...

  1. Apache in Lenny

    Hi,

    I had an Apache 2.2.3 installation on Etch which used to identify
    itself in the HTTP server response as "Apache 2.2.3 (Debian)."
    However, after successfully upgrading to Lenny for various PHP stuff,
    the server response just now reads "Apache." I completely removed and
    reinstalled all Apache and PHP packages, but it did not fix the issue.

    Is this by design, or is something broken?

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

  2. Re: Apache in Lenny

    Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had an Apache 2.2.3 installation on Etch which used to identify
    > itself in the HTTP server response as "Apache 2.2.3 (Debian)."
    > However, after successfully upgrading to Lenny for various PHP stuff,
    > the server response just now reads "Apache." I completely removed and
    > reinstalled all Apache and PHP packages, but it did not fix the issue.
    >
    > Is this by design, or is something broken?

    How about just a configuration option?

    From my /etc/httpd/extra/httpd-default.conf on a Slackware 12.1
    system (Apache 2.2.8):

    #
    # ServerTokens
    # This directive configures what you return as the Server
    # HTTP response Header. The default is 'Full' which sends
    # information about the OS-Type and compiled in modules.
    # Set to one of: Full | OS | Minor | Minimal | Major | Prod
    # where Full conveys the most information, and Prod the least.
    #
    ServerTokens Full

    Regards,

    Kees.