Changed from KDE to Gnome (?) - Debian

This is a discussion on Changed from KDE to Gnome (?) - Debian ; I've been using Debian KDE for quite some time now as a telephone server (Asterisk) Yesterday my server was down. I was expecting a power problem. So i tried to switch the server on, and yes the system came up ...

  1. Changed from KDE to Gnome (?)

    I've been using Debian KDE for quite some time now as a telephone server
    (Asterisk)

    Yesterday my server was down. I was expecting a power problem.
    So i tried to switch the server on, and yes the system came up again.

    But.....to my big surprise, the desktop had changed (??)
    Now their was Gnome i.s.o. KDE

    How can this happen?

    (nobody touched the server while this happened)

    rgds
    Henk

  2. Re: Changed from KDE to Gnome (?)

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > Now their was Gnome i.s.o. KDE
    >
    > How can this happen?

    My first guess would be that packages were updated and, while doing so,
    a config file was updated along with it which changed your preference.
    Things like this normally don't happen without user interaction (e.g.
    during the update, the operator at the time was prompted if they would
    like to continue using the current config or use the one in the package).

    If you're using a Display Manager (gdm, kdm, etc.), you can simply
    choose which one you want and that should reset your preference.

    - Ken

  3. Re: Changed from KDE to Gnome (?)

    Ken Teague wrote:
    > Henk Oegema wrote:
    >> Now their was Gnome i.s.o. KDE
    >>
    >> How can this happen?

    > My first guess would be that packages were updated and, while doing so,
    > a config file was updated along with it which changed your preference.
    > Things like this normally don't happen without user interaction (e.g.
    > during the update, the operator at the time was prompted if they would
    > like to continue using the current config or use the one in the package).
    >
    > If you're using a Display Manager (gdm, kdm, etc.), you can simply
    > choose which one you want and that should reset your preference.
    >
    > - Ken

    Don't know if it holds true for Debian, but at logon Kubuntu has a
    toggle button on the lower left hand side of screen.....it can also be
    reset there....either just a logon session or as default.

  4. Re: Changed from KDE to Gnome (?)

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 03:34:18 +0000, propman wrote:

    > Ken Teague wrote:
    >> Henk Oegema wrote:
    >>> Now their was Gnome i.s.o. KDE
    >>>
    >>> How can this happen?

    >> My first guess would be that packages were updated and, while doing so,
    >> a config file was updated along with it which changed your preference.
    >> Things like this normally don't happen without user interaction (e.g.
    >> during the update, the operator at the time was prompted if they would
    >> like to continue using the current config or use the one in the package).
    >>
    >> If you're using a Display Manager (gdm, kdm, etc.), you can simply
    >> choose which one you want and that should reset your preference.
    >>
    >> - Ken

    > Don't know if it holds true for Debian, but at logon Kubuntu has a
    > toggle button on the lower left hand side of screen.....it can also be
    > reset there....either just a logon session or as default.

    I use KDE as default in Kubuntu but installed Gnome to play with. I'm
    finding Gnome more stable in the video playback department among other
    things. You can toggle between the two in the login screen or logout of
    KDE and login to Gnome.

+ Reply to Thread