deactivated native samba support in mc - Debian

This is a discussion on deactivated native samba support in mc - Debian ; Hey, I've disabled after thinking a long time over this issue, the native samba support in mc. I hope that not so much people used that. My reasons for disabling this feature is that this was based on a statically ...

  1. deactivated native samba support in mc

    Hey,

    I've disabled after thinking a long time over this issue, the native samba
    support in mc. I hope that not so much people used that.

    My reasons for disabling this feature is that this was based on a
    statically linked in samba lib from 1996... without any updates to it.
    Since the features of samba changed since 1996 a lot it is clear that there
    were quite many issues with that feature.
    See #451964 & #432324 for example.

    Furthermore I had some fears that his lib might contains some security
    bugs... so deactivating this feature would solve several problems.

    If there is anybody who is interested in this feature please mail me, since
    upstream is pretty dead there is no great chance that he will fix this in
    a reasonable time. So if someone have good C skills and would like to help
    to port mc to link dynamically against libsmbclient please start working
    on it ;-)

    Greetings
    Winnie

    --
    .''`. Patrick Winnertz
    : :' : GNU/Linux Debian Developer

  2. Re: deactivated native samba support in mc

    On Sun, 18 May 2008, Patrick Winnertz wrote:

    > If there is anybody who is interested in this feature please mail me, since
    > upstream is pretty dead there is no great chance that he will fix this in
    > a reasonable time. So if someone have good C skills and would like to help
    > to port mc to link dynamically against libsmbclient please start working
    > on it ;-)

    And as I told you in private before: Waiting for unresponsive upstream
    does not make sense and thus I would recommend starting a common effort
    with maintainers of other distros to continue upstream development. If
    upstream is stubborn not to join this effort start a "High noon commander"
    project or whatever you might call it. ;-)

    There are so many people working with Midnight Commander - I can not
    really believe that this effort to revitalise development should fail.

    Kind regards

    Andreas.

    --
    http://fam-tille.de