KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it - Debian ; Currently, in etch, the kde mounting system is either not configured appropriately, or has bugs or even "missing" functionality perhaps. Whatever should be the reason for this, mounting filesystems using kde is either no intuitive or it does not work. ...

  1. KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it

    Currently, in etch, the kde mounting system is either not configured
    appropriately, or has bugs or even "missing" functionality perhaps. Whatever
    should be the reason for this, mounting filesystems using kde is either no
    intuitive or it does not work.

    I've a HDD in a USB MSC, which has both ntfs partitions and ext3 partitions.
    The ext3 partitions are succesfully mounted with no problems using kde, but
    the user doesn't get write permissions to them. Trying to mount the ntfs
    partition, I get the bug #418176.

    I see this as a very serious issue which prevents debian from being used asa
    KDE desktop by non-technical users. How many have switched to other "desktop
    distributions" because of this issue alone? I want this for my clients as
    well as for myself.

    Can anyone point to the root of this problem so that a solution could be
    thought of? How about a workaround?

    How about making a backport of the fixed hal, will that solve it, and is that
    possible?

    --
    Shachar Or | שחר אור
    http://ox.freeallweb.org/

  2. Re: KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it

    Hi,

    Dawn Light wrote:
    > The ext3 partitions are succesfully mounted with no problems using kde, but
    > the user doesn't get write permissions to them.

    That is quite natural (and most satisfactory, in any events) that users
    who don't have sufficient permissions can't read some files on any ext3
    partition, be it permanently or temporarily mounted. Could you elaborate
    a little bit on what you expect from the system about your user "getting
    write permissions" ?

    Regards,

    pp

  3. Re: KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it

    On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Dawn Light wrote:

    > The ext3 partitions are succesfully mounted with no problems using kde, but
    > the user doesn't get write permissions to them.

    There does not appear to be a mount option to get the Linux kernel to
    ignore the permissions on ext3 filesystems nor indicate that some
    specific user should own all the files. The best you can do currently
    is to run find -xdev | xargs chmod a+rwX as root over the filesystem
    after mounting, or use another filesystem (adfs, affs, fat, vfat, hfs,
    hpfs, ntfs support uid/gid options). The uid/gid options in the
    FAT32/NTFS and other filesystems should really become common to all
    Linux filesystems, perhaps you would like to persue getting this fixed
    in upstream kernels?

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  4. Re: KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it

    Hi,

    > Can anyone point to the root of this problem so that a solution could be
    > thought of? How about a workaround?
    >
    > How about making a backport of the fixed hal, will that solve it, and is
    > that possible?

    this bug was fixed recently on latest hal package 0.5.11-1 in Sid.
    as far i can see, there's no hal backport.

    cheers,

    Fathi

  5. Re: KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it

    I've asked about this subject here
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugre...?bug=418176#62

    --
    Shachar Or | שחר אור
    http://ox.freeallweb.org/

  6. Re: KDE HAL mounting in etch: lets solve it

    On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 07:15:44PM +0300, Dawn Light wrote:

    > On Sunday 11 May 2008 19:11, Fathi Boudra wrote:
    > >
    > > > How about making a backport of the fixed hal, will that solve it, and is
    > > > that possible?

    > > this bug was fixed recently on latest hal package 0.5.11-1 in Sid.
    > > as far i can see, there's no hal backport.
    > >

    > I've asked about this subject here
    > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugre...?bug=418176#62

    I suppose that you would need to raise it with the Etch-and-a-half
    team, http://teams.debian.net/lurker/list/...tchnahalf.html (fon't
    forget to check their archives to see if it has already been discussed).
    It might be well worth pursuing in view of the NTFS user-mounting issue.

    Nick