How do I install system sounds? - Debian

This is a discussion on How do I install system sounds? - Debian ; First of I've got to say this. I just discovered Debian 4 and man am I impressed! It took half a day to do it because the server in calgary was slow, but I installed Debian 4 on a LOWLY ...

  1. How do I install system sounds?

    First of I've got to say this. I just discovered Debian 4 and man am I
    impressed! It took half a day to do it because the server in calgary was
    slow, but I installed Debian 4 on a LOWLY 333MHz 386 with 128MBs of RAM on a
    5.2GIG HDD and it didn't only install, it actually goes like stink. Heaps
    better than the Windoze 1898 SE that it came installed with.

    Now to my question.

    How do I enable system sounds in Debian 4? I know my speakers work. I've
    paid music. But I just can't see in the repositories where wave files or
    system sounds might be hiding. Thanks.

  2. Re: How do I install system sounds?

    Feverishly pounding upon a keyboard Steve Turner typed:
    > First of I've got to say this. I just discovered Debian 4 and man am I
    > impressed! It took half a day to do it because the server in calgary was
    > slow, but I installed Debian 4 on a LOWLY 333MHz 386 with 128MBs of RAM on a
    > 5.2GIG HDD and it didn't only install, it actually goes like stink. Heaps
    > better than the Windoze 1898 SE that it came installed with.
    >
    > Now to my question.
    >
    > How do I enable system sounds in Debian 4? I know my speakers work. I've
    > paid music. But I just can't see in the repositories where wave files or
    > system sounds might be hiding. Thanks.

    Under Preferences > Sound > check the boxes for Enable & Play. Plus, you
    can point those events to a directory you have with sound files.

    --
    sk8r-365
    But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

  3. Re: How do I install system sounds?

    Feverishly pounding upon a keyboard Steve Turner typed:
    it came installed with.

    > Now to my question.
    >
    > How do I enable system sounds in Debian 4? I know my speakers work. I've
    > paid music. But I just can't see in the repositories where wave files or
    > system sounds might be hiding. Thanks.

    Oh, and you can add more with the gnome-audio package. They are stored
    in /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events and more in /usr/share/sounds/* (if root
    adds other non-supplied events there all users will have access to them
    as well). The file format is, by default, WAV but others *may* work ...
    I haven't tried differing files.

    --
    sk8r-365
    But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.
    -- Matthew 19:30

  4. Re: How do I install system sounds?

    Steve Turner wrote:
    > First of I've got to say this. I just discovered Debian 4 and man am I
    > impressed! It took half a day to do it because the server in calgary was
    > slow, but I installed Debian 4 on a LOWLY 333MHz 386 with 128MBs of RAM on a
    > 5.2GIG HDD and it didn't only install, it actually goes like stink. Heaps
    > better than the Windoze 1898 SE that it came installed with.
    >
    > Now to my question.
    >
    > How do I enable system sounds in Debian 4? I know my speakers work. I've
    > paid music. But I just can't see in the repositories where wave files or
    > system sounds might be hiding. Thanks.

    My system sounds are in gnome-audio but presumably you are not running
    gnome. What desktop system, if any, are you running and, if you are not
    running a GUI, when do you expect system sounds to be played?

    Robert

  5. Re: How do I install system sounds?

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > Steve Turner wrote:
    >> First of I've got to say this. I just discovered Debian 4 and man am
    >> I impressed! It took half a day to do it because the server in
    >> calgary was slow, but I installed Debian 4 on a LOWLY 333MHz 386 with
    >> 128MBs of RAM on a 5.2GIG HDD and it didn't only install, it actually
    >> goes like stink. Heaps better than the Windoze 1898 SE that it came
    >> installed with.
    >>
    >> Now to my question.
    >>
    >> How do I enable system sounds in Debian 4? I know my speakers work.
    >> I've paid music. But I just can't see in the repositories where wave
    >> files or system sounds might be hiding. Thanks.

    > My system sounds are in gnome-audio but presumably you are not running
    > gnome. What desktop system, if any, are you running and, if you are not
    > running a GUI, when do you expect system sounds to be played?

    He might well be running GNOME because the gnome-audio package is not
    installed by default. After installing it you need to configure GNOME to
    use sounds.

    --
    Stephen Chadfield

  6. Re: How do I install system sounds?

    Es solve-d now. Tanks.

    "Stephen Chadfield" wrote in message
    news:48282272$0$562$c5fe31e7@reader.usenet4all.se. ..
    > Robert Harris wrote:
    >> Steve Turner wrote:
    >>> First of I've got to say this. I just discovered Debian 4 and man am
    >>> I impressed! It took half a day to do it because the server in
    >>> calgary was slow, but I installed Debian 4 on a LOWLY 333MHz 386 with
    >>> 128MBs of RAM on a 5.2GIG HDD and it didn't only install, it actually
    >>> goes like stink. Heaps better than the Windoze 1898 SE that it came
    >>> installed with.
    >>>
    >>> Now to my question.
    >>>
    >>> How do I enable system sounds in Debian 4? I know my speakers work.
    >>> I've paid music. But I just can't see in the repositories where wave
    >>> files or system sounds might be hiding. Thanks.

    >> My system sounds are in gnome-audio but presumably you are not running
    >> gnome. What desktop system, if any, are you running and, if you are not
    >> running a GUI, when do you expect system sounds to be played?

    > He might well be running GNOME because the gnome-audio package is not
    > installed by default. After installing it you need to configure GNOME to
    > use sounds.
    >
    > --
    > Stephen Chadfield

  7. Re: How do I install system sounds?

    Steve Turner wrote:
    > Es solve-d now. Tanks.

    Good. Have the reached the point yet where the sounds have become so
    annoying that you want help to make them go away ;-)

    --
    Stephen Chadfield

  8. Re: How do I install system sounds?

    Feverishly pounding upon a keyboard Stephen Chadfield typed:
    > Steve Turner wrote:
    >> Es solve-d now. Tanks.

    > Good. Have the reached the point yet where the sounds have become so
    > annoying that you want help to make them go away ;-)

    LOL! I did get annoyed with ESD owning the sound card and not being able
    to hear the CD, etc. after a sound event. Found this ditty on the Debian
    forum:

    radamis Posted: 2007-07-15 16:38

    Adding: Code: default_options=-as 1

    to /etc/esound/esd.conf helped me considerably. ESD by default takes
    control of the sound system and won't let anything else use it. The
    above line tells ESD that after 1 second of being idle release the
    sound system for others to use. It didn't help with the 1-3 second
    delay between the audio app and the speakers when the audio was going
    through esd (made watching movies a little weird).
    --
    sk8r-365
    But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before

+ Reply to Thread