crash with kde4 experimental - Debian

This is a discussion on crash with kde4 experimental - Debian ; Hello list I've installed kde4 experimental packages (svn). A lot of applications (konsole, dolphin, systemsettings, KsCD and all games except kspaceduel, kollision, kblackbox, ksame) crashes on startup. All were working when I was using 4.02. I tried to reinstall kde-base ...

  1. crash with kde4 experimental

    Hello list

    I've installed kde4 experimental packages (svn).
    A lot of applications (konsole, dolphin, systemsettings, KsCD and all games
    except kspaceduel, kollision, kblackbox, ksame) crashes on startup. All were
    working when I was using 4.02.

    I tried to reinstall kde-base packages, but it change nothing.

    I've installed kde dbg packages, all backtrace seem to be different (but I'm
    not a c++ developer).

    My computer is AMD64, Debian sid.

    I wonder if it is a kde, debian or a setup problem on my computer... Any
    idea ?

    Regards
    xavier
    xavier@alternatif.org

  2. Re: crash with kde4 experimental

    On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Wolfgang Mader wrote:
    > I do not kow if this is correlated but I also do have strange behaviour
    > in kde 4.devel. (kde 4.0.70 -- svn version)
    >
    > At boot time kdm is not comming up; if I log in as root on the console
    > and restart kdm all is fine.

    having that problem here too, haven't gotten around to looking at possible
    causes yet though
    --
    Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

  3. Re: crash with kde4 experimental

    I do not kow if this is correlated but I also do have strange behaviour in kde
    4.devel. (kde 4.0.70 -- svn version)

    At boot time kdm is not comming up; if I log in as root on the console and
    restart kdm all is fine.

    The first time i log in kde 4.devel kwin is not present. I only do have one
    virtual desktop, no 'run command' etc.
    If I log of and then log in again kwin commes up nicely (I also do not have
    a 'run command', but I think this has come with the last kdelibs update. To
    be more specific no shortcuts are working. ).

    Since this is not the time to complain or even fill a bug report I only want
    to know if s.o. else has the same experience.

    Thanks,
    Wolfgang

    On Wednesday 23 April 2008 11:11:11 Xavier Brochard wrote:
    > Hello list
    >
    > I've installed kde4 experimental packages (svn).
    > A lot of applications (konsole, dolphin, systemsettings, KsCD and all
    > games except kspaceduel, kollision, kblackbox, ksame) crashes on startup.
    > All were working when I was using 4.02.
    >
    > I tried to reinstall kde-base packages, but it change nothing.
    >
    > I've installed kde dbg packages, all backtrace seem to be different (but
    > I'm not a c++ developer).
    >
    > My computer is AMD64, Debian sid.
    >
    > I wonder if it is a kde, debian or a setup problem on my computer... Any
    > idea ?
    >

    > Regards
    > xavier
    > xavier@alternatif.org

  4. Re: [debian-kde] Re: crash with kde4 experimental

    On Wednesday 23 April 2008 12:03:07 cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
    > On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Wolfgang Mader wrote:
    > > I do not kow if this is correlated but I also do have strange behaviour
    > > in kde 4.devel. (kde 4.0.70 -- svn version)
    > >
    > > At boot time kdm is not comming up; if I log in as root on the console
    > > and restart kdm all is fine.

    > having that problem here too, haven't gotten around to looking at possible
    > causes yet though

    Same here, look like a crash of kdmgreeter.
    While booting, kdm launch during 1 second, then crash, and I log into console
    before restarting kdm (then it works).

    Another thing: most of the time, I don't have background with kdm.

    Xavier

  5. Re: [debian-kde] Re: crash with kde4 experimental

    > Another thing: most of the time, I don't have background with kdm.

    dito

    Wolfgang

  6. Re: [debian-kde] Re: crash with kde4 experimental

    On Thursday 24 April 2008 00:08:52 Wolfgang Mader wrote:
    > > Another thing: most of the time, I don't have background with kdm.

    > dito
    >
    > Wolfgang

    I have not had the crash but I do lack the background. Problem is apparently
    that kdm does not request a repaint when it comes up (or does not invalidate
    the whole screen area in Windows parlance). If one exercises any menu or
    after logging in, background does appear in the areas that had been
    "covered".

    Do control-alt-F1, then alt-F7 and guess what? Full background since this
    operation apparently does the invalidation or repaint request.