Compie ProFtpD on etch - Debian

This is a discussion on Compie ProFtpD on etch - Debian ; I have installed the proftpd package on etch. I need to use mod_ban so got hold of the sources and with some research managed to patch with the debian patch (at least I think I did - dpkg-source didn't report ...

  1. Compie ProFtpD on etch

    I have installed the proftpd package on etch.

    I need to use mod_ban so got hold of the sources and with some
    research managed to patch with the debian patch (at least I think I
    did - dpkg-source didn't report any problems and I ended up with a
    debian subdirectory).

    However, the configure script sets defined variables such as
    PR_RUN_DIR to something in /usr/local and it needs to be different to
    this to comply with what the standard installed package has in place.

    I have tried to use

    ../configure --help

    to get an idea of what I can include on the command line but it
    doesn't seem to have any hints on how I can change #defs.

    For example, I need to be able to use the existing \etc\proftpd
    \proftpd.conf config file with my new build - I just want the new
    build to sit on top of the old one.

    Can anyone tell me what I need to do to compile in the correct paths
    pls?

    Many thanks all,

    jON

  2. Re: Compie ProFtpD on etch

    On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 09:11:33PM -0700, sadsjon wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to compile in the correct paths
    > pls?

    If you was using the proftpd source in main, that's automatically done.
    You should add your own dpatch patch for mod_ban, at least until
    it will be available a proftpd-dev package to build independently
    other DSO modules (in 1.3.2).

    --
    Francesco P. Lovergine

  3. Re: Compile ProFtpD on etch

    * sadsjon (Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:11:33 -0700):

    > I have installed the proftpd package on etch.
    >
    > I need to use mod_ban so got hold of the sources and with some
    > research managed to patch with the debian patch (at least I think I
    > did - dpkg-source didn't report any problems and I ended up with a
    > debian subdirectory).
    >

    > However, the configure script sets defined variables such as
    > PR_RUN_DIR to something in /usr/local and it needs to be different to
    > this to comply with what the standard installed package has in place.

    [...]

    > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to compile in the correct paths
    > pls?

    Perhaps you are trying to run ./configure directly. This would use
    upstream's default directories, e.g., /usr/local etc.

    When building a Debian package, one normally uses debian/rules, which
    will give configure the right arguments. For local builds, this usually
    works for me:

    $ fakeroot debian/rules build binary

    You could also use one of the several wrappers for this, like
    dpkg-buildpackage, debuild etc. Also make sure you have build-essential
    installed, and did: apt-get build-dep proftpd

    It is usually a good idea to change the package's version for a local
    build; this is done by prepending another entry in debian/changelog.
    dch from devscripts can help with this, e.g.: dch -i
    Then change the version number at the top to, e.g.: 1.3.0-19+sadsjon1

    With a distinct version, you can easily verify in "dpkg -l proftpd'*'"
    etc. that your own package is installed. Also you should prevent
    automatic package upgrades (which would lose your local changes) by
    setting the package on hold, e.g.: aptitude hold proftpd

    Note that you'll have to watch for and include security fixes and the
    like yourself after this.

    Hope this helps & isn't inappropriate for the list.
    Regards, Fabian

    P.S.: Is there some short write-up like the above somewhere so that one
    can just refer to there?

    --
    Fabian "zzz" Pietsch - http://zzz.arara.de/