Etch 1/2 CD images for test (was: Misc development news (#6)) - Debian

This is a discussion on Etch 1/2 CD images for test (was: Misc development news (#6)) - Debian ; On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote: > Please help test "etch and a half" > ---------------------------------- > The next point release of etch is targeted to be the "etch and a half" > release, with the limited intent ...

  1. Etch 1/2 CD images for test (was: Misc development news (#6))

    On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
    > Please help test "etch and a half"
    > ----------------------------------
    > The next point release of etch is targeted to be the "etch and a half"
    > release, with the limited intent of increasing the hardware supported by
    > the Debian 4.0 release. An updated kernel based on 2.6.24 and some
    > updated X drivers are making their way to proposed-updates. Developers
    > are encouraged to start testing these packages and report issues to the
    > associated package maintainers and the project-etchnahalf list. See
    > http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf for more information.

    I have built two "etchnhalf" netinst CD images (i386 and amd64) for people
    who'd like to try them out. They contain:
    - current Debian Installer from unstable (using 2.6.24-6 kernel)
    - etch base system
    - etch and a half kernel images (2.6.24-5~etchnhalf.1)

    So basically these images will install plain current etch (!), but with a
    2.6.24 kernel. Main reason to create these images was to verify correct
    kernel selection by the installer.

    Notes:
    - As these are NOT real "etch and a half" images, please do not use them
    as such!
    - The graphical frontend is broken due to a recent regression in one of
    the libraries we use. Please use the textual (newt) frontend.
    - Change in country selection in localechooser: instead of the old full
    list of countries it now first asks for continent and then for country.
    (For most users only visible after selecting "other" from a one of the
    language-specific shortlists.)

    The images are available from:
    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/test/

    Cheers,
    FJP

  2. Re: Etch 1/2 CD images for test (was: Misc development news (#6))

    [ dropping debian-devel, not of general interest ]
    [ added debian-publicity ]

    Hi!

    * Frans Pop [080422 17:25]:
    > > Please help test "etch and a half"

    [..]
    > I have built two "etchnhalf" netinst CD images (i386 and amd64) for people
    > who'd like to try them out. They contain:

    If we add that to the next issue of the Debian Project News, which will
    be send out in a bit less than two weeks, would that be to late?

    Yours sincerely,
    Alexander

    PS: Sorry; that should have been in the last issue already, but I forgot
    it.

  3. Re: Etch 1/2 CD images for test (was: Misc development news (#6))

    (Really added d-publicity as I'm not sure if you're subscribed to the
    others.)

    On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
    > > I have built two "etchnhalf" netinst CD images (i386 and amd64) for
    > > people who'd like to try them out. They contain:

    > If we add that to the next issue of the Debian Project News, which will
    > be send out in a bit less than two weeks, would that be to late?

    IMHO it should not be published there. These images are not really intended
    for testing by the "general public".

    > PS: Sorry; that should have been in the last issue already, but I forgot
    > it.

    Hmmm. How could you have? They were not yet available then...

    Cheers,
    FJP

+ Reply to Thread