Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458 - Debian

This is a discussion on Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458 - Debian ; I'm attempting to get Debian Testing up and running on my Pavilion DV6100 (DV6458). The installation was pretty easy, but there are two things that aren't working. One, I can't get the kernel to recognize my Broadcom BCM4328 WiFi chipset, ...

  1. Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    I'm attempting to get Debian Testing up and running on my Pavilion DV6100
    (DV6458). The installation was pretty easy, but there are two things that
    aren't working.

    One, I can't get the kernel to recognize my Broadcom BCM4328 WiFi chipset,
    even though it's theoretically supported. Nor can I get ndiswrapper to work
    with the Windows driver.

    Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear there's
    support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't even
    researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it would
    be appreciated.

    Thank you.
    --
    Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

    Stupid mistakes you can correct!

  2. Re: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    Hello,

    On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:02 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
    > I'm attempting to get Debian Testing up and running on my Pavilion DV6100
    > (DV6458). The installation was pretty easy, but there are two things that
    > aren't working.
    >
    > I can't get the kernel to recognize my Broadcom BCM4328 WiFi chipset,
    > even though it's theoretically supported. Nor can I get ndiswrapper to work
    > with the Windows driver.

    This page should help : http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

    If you still have problems with it, try to be more descriptive about your actual problem (situation, error messages ...)

    Hope this helps,

    Franklin

  3. RE: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    Hi !

    > Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:02:09 -0400
    > From: carlf@panix.com
    > Subject: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458
    >
    > I'm attempting to get Debian Testing up and running on my Pavilion DV6100
    > (DV6458). The installation was pretty easy, but there are two things that
    > aren't working.

    i've a pavilion DV6270EU, i hope i can help you ;-)

    > One, I can't get the kernel to recognize my Broadcom BCM4328 WiFi chipset,
    > even though it's theoretically supported. Nor can I get ndiswrapper to work
    > with the Windows driver.

    i've linked on linuxonlaptop my installation [1] but it's in italian...
    i've tried to use the kernel module bcm43xx on my vanilla 2.6.24.4 kernel but it won't work...
    if "lspci" tells you about this hardware
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
    you can use wifi with ndiswrapper and this [2] windows driver...
    you've to execute these commands, briefly:
    # m-a prepare
    # m-a a-i ndiswrapper
    # depmod -a
    # modprobe ndiswrapper
    # unzip -a /path/to/downloaded/R151517.EXE
    # cd /path/to/downloaded/ && cd to the created directory form extraction and in subdirectory DRIVER
    # ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

    done!

    > Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear there's
    > support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't even
    > researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it would
    > be appreciated.

    for this problem i can't help you.

    > Thank you.

    of nothing.

    [1] http://www.freemodding.it/modules/ne...forumpost89058
    [2] http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R151517.EXE

    Divertiti con le nuove EMOTICON per Messenger!
    http://intrattenimento.it.msn.com/emoticon

  4. Re: blackberry support (was Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458)

    Hi,

    El lun, 21-04-2008 a las 15:02 -0400, Carl Fink escribió:

    > Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear
    > there's
    > support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't
    > even
    > researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it
    > would
    > be appreciated.

    As far as I know, part of the modem functionality is provided by
    Desktop Manager (a Windows-only desktop application), so unless somebody
    manages to port it to Linux we won't be able to use a Blackberry as a
    tethered modem.

    Maybe you heard about Barry, a project that provides support for
    Blackberry in Linux, but it's initial goal was to provide
    backup/restore/syncing functionality. I don't know about the status of
    the modem support:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/barry

    XmBlackberry seems to be focused on the modem support and maybe it's
    what you are looking for:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmblackberry

    There are people reporting success using *both* projects simultaneously:

    http://wiki.colar.net/tethering_with...pearl_on_linux

    Regards,

    --
    Rafael Varela Pet
    Area de Tecnoloxías da Información e Comunicacións

    Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
    15782 Santiago de Compostela
    http://www.usc.es/atic

  5. Re: blackberry support (was Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458)

    Rafael Varela Pet wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > El lun, 21-04-2008 a las 15:02 -0400, Carl Fink escribió:
    >
    >> Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear
    >> there's
    >> support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't
    >> even
    >> researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it
    >> would
    >> be appreciated.

    > As far as I know, part of the modem functionality is provided by
    > Desktop Manager (a Windows-only desktop application), so unless somebody
    > manages to port it to Linux we won't be able to use a Blackberry as a
    > tethered modem.

    Depends on how you tether. MacOSX works fine with Bluetooth tethering
    to my Pearl with no special software. Thus, whatever they've done
    should be able to be done on Linux.

    Tethering via USB is more problematic, at least that's my understanding
    of it anyway. For Blackberry products.

    Nate

  6. Re: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    Long delay, but I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Over the last
    couple of days I've made some progress.

    On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43:36PM +0200, Gabriele Pongelli wrote:

    > i've tried to use the kernel module bcm43xx on my vanilla 2.6.24.4 kernel but it won't work...
    > if "lspci" tells you about this hardware
    > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
    > you can use wifi with ndiswrapper and this [2] windows driver...
    > you've to execute these commands, briefly:
    > # m-a prepare
    > # m-a a-i ndiswrapper
    > # depmod -a
    > # modprobe ndiswrapper
    > # unzip -a /path/to/downloaded/R151517.EXE
    > # cd /path/to/downloaded/ && cd to the created directory form extraction and in subdirectory DRIVER
    > # ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

    Thanks. I do not have that hardware, I have the 4328. Unfortunately, this
    chip is explicitly NOT supported by the b43 driver, so I had to go with
    ndiswrapper. (I'd prefer Free software end-to-end, but I'd also like to use
    my computer.)

    I followed the steps above, and ndiswrapper reports success.

    NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth1 no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:130 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
    RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
    Encryption key:B49A-A3D8-FD55-C799-1E7A-D5D6-2B Security mode:restricted
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    However:

    NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# dhclient wlan0
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 4340
    killed old client process, removed PID file
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.0
    Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1a:73:67:9c:08
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:1a:73:67:9c:08
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

    So, I'm assuming I'm missing a step?

    Honestly, I did read the Wireless-HOWTO and search the Debian Wiki among
    other places, but I have no idea what I'm missing. I will as before
    appreciate any help--I really do appreciate it, Gabriele.
    --
    Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

    Stupid mistakes you can correct!

  7. Re: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Carl Fink wrote:
    > Long delay, but I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Over the last
    > couple of days I've made some progress.
    >
    > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43:36PM +0200, Gabriele Pongelli wrote:
    >
    > > i've tried to use the kernel module bcm43xx on my vanilla 2.6.24.4 kernel but it won't work...
    > > if "lspci" tells you about this hardware
    > > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
    > > you can use wifi with ndiswrapper and this [2] windows driver...
    > > you've to execute these commands, briefly:
    > > # m-a prepare
    > > # m-a a-i ndiswrapper
    > > # depmod -a
    > > # modprobe ndiswrapper
    > > # unzip -a /path/to/downloaded/R151517.EXE
    > > # cd /path/to/downloaded/ && cd to the created directory form extraction and in subdirectory DRIVER
    > > # ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

    > So, I'm assuming I'm missing a step?
    >
    > Honestly, I did read the Wireless-HOWTO and search the Debian Wiki among
    > other places, but I have no idea what I'm missing. I will as before
    > appreciate any help--I really do appreciate it, Gabriele.
    > --
    > Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

    Carl,

    You appear to be doing Ndiswrapper right. Make sure you uninstall the
    BCM43xx and the B43 driver from your repo completely, I would go as
    far as manually deleting the drivers from /lib/firmware (If any
    drivers exist?) to take care of any possible conflicts.

    Also blacklist both BCM43xx and B43, because this is what I had to do,
    to get my friends laptop going without it sending his wifi card to
    sleep while trying to use ndiswrapper.

    This card is being worked over at:

    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...43#unsupported

    For the new future B43 driver. It may take time due to Broadcoms
    lovely willingness to help...... LOL!!!! Anyway, report back and let
    us know.

    Regards,

    --
    JD. Brown

    Linux User # 375995 - http://counter.li.org/

    Debian - http://www.debian.org/intro/about

  8. Re: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 04:13:19AM -0600, JD. Brown wrote:
    > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Carl Fink wrote:

    > You appear to be doing Ndiswrapper right. Make sure you uninstall the
    > BCM43xx and the B43 driver from your repo completely, I would go as
    > far as manually deleting the drivers from /lib/firmware (If any
    > drivers exist?) to take care of any possible conflicts.

    I removed /lib/firmware/*

    > Also blacklist both BCM43xx and B43, because this is what I had to do,
    > to get my friends laptop going without it sending his wifi card to
    > sleep while trying to use ndiswrapper.

    They were already blacklisted.

    No dice.

    > This card is being worked over at:
    >
    > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...43#unsupported
    >
    > For the new future B43 driver. It may take time due to Broadcoms
    > lovely willingness to help...... LOL!!!! Anyway, report back and let
    > us know.

    Do you supposed the b43 developers need a beta tester?

    The frustrating thing is, I could buy a USB WiFi device for $20 and it would
    work. I'm refusing out of what amounts to sheer stubbornness.
    --
    Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

    Stupid mistakes you can correct!

  9. RE: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    > Thanks. I do not have that hardware, I have the 4328. Unfortunately, this
    > chip is explicitly NOT supported by the b43 driver, so I had to go with
    > ndiswrapper. (I'd prefer Free software end-to-end, but I'd also like to use
    > my computer.)

    if b43 driver doesn't support your hardware why are you trying to use it :-D ?
    maybe the right way is using ndiswrapper (like me) ;-)

    > NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# iwconfig
    > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    > Bit Rate:130 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
    > RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
    > Encryption key:B49A-A3D8-FD55-C799-1E7A-D5D6-2B Security mode:restricted
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > However:
    >
    > NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# dhclient wlan0
    > ----cut---
    > No DHCPOFFERS received.
    > No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
    >
    > So, I'm assuming I'm missing a step?

    have you tried to set up essid before doing dchlient?
    maybe you don't receive DHCPOFFERS because your hardware doesn't find any net that match with essid off/any ...
    so, set your correct essid and then make dhclient...

    if you can't solve you problem try to set up all manually with iwconfig, ifconfig and route (check its man's page for all trouble to how use them)...

    Regards.

    Crea il tuo blog su Spaces, condividi le tue esperienze con il mondo!
    http://home.services.spaces.live.com/

  10. Re: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

    On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 01:20:37PM +0200, Gabriele Pongelli wrote:

    > if you can't solve you problem try to set up all manually with iwconfig,
    > ifconfig and route (check its man's page for all trouble to how use
    > them)...

    I happen to be able to do this. In fact, I just did it with my new network
    device. However: isn't this a failure in Debian, that it's so absurdly
    difficult to set up WiFi devices?