separate package for iotop? - Debian

This is a discussion on separate package for iotop? - Debian ; Hi all, I was going to package iotop: http://guichaz.free.fr/misc/#iotop It is a simple Python script for displaying a top-like listing of the amount of I/O each process on the system is doing. I'm not sure if it warrants its own ...

  1. separate package for iotop?

    Hi all,

    I was going to package iotop:

    http://guichaz.free.fr/misc/#iotop

    It is a simple Python script for displaying a top-like listing of the
    amount of I/O each process on the system is doing.

    I'm not sure if it warrants its own package or if there is another
    package it should be added to.

    Any thoughts?

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  2. Re: separate package for iotop?

    Hi Paul,
    * Paul Wise [2008-04-20 19:37]:
    > I was going to package iotop:
    >
    > http://guichaz.free.fr/misc/#iotop
    >
    > It is a simple Python script for displaying a top-like listing of the
    > amount of I/O each process on the system is doing.
    >
    > I'm not sure if it warrants its own package or if there is another
    > package it should be added to.

    As we already for example itop in the archive and I have no
    idea in which package this could be included I'd say go
    ahead and package it.
    Kind regards
    Nico
    --
    Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion@jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF

  3. Re: separate package for iotop?

    [Paul Wise]
    > I'm not sure if it warrants its own package or if there is another
    > package it should be added to.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Perhaps along with top in procps?

    Happy hacking,
    --
    Petter Reinholdtsen

  4. Re: separate package for iotop?

    In article <2fl7iesgvnf.fsf@klodrik.uio.no> you wrote:
    >> I'm not sure if it warrants its own package or if there is another
    >> package it should be added to.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > Perhaps along with top in procps?

    The python dependency should not be introduced - so if we dont have a python
    based system management package, it might be good to start one.

    Bernd

  5. Re: separate package for iotop?

    On 20-Apr-08, 16:33 (CDT), Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
    > In article <2fl7iesgvnf.fsf@klodrik.uio.no> you wrote:
    > >> I'm not sure if it warrants its own package or if there is another
    > >> package it should be added to.
    > >>
    > >> Any thoughts?

    > > Perhaps along with top in procps?

    > The python dependency should not be introduced - so if we dont have a python
    > based system management package, it might be good to start one.

    But it could be a Suggests, since it's only one of several utilities in
    the package.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Greenland
    world. -- seen on the net

  6. Re: separate package for iotop?

    On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Steve Greenland wrote:

    > > > Perhaps along with top in procps?

    > > The python dependency should not be introduced - so if we dont have a python
    > > based system management package, it might be good to start one.

    > But it could be a Suggests, since it's only one of several utilities in
    > the package.

    Craig, do you think including the iotop python script in procps is a
    good idea or should I create a separate package for it.

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  7. Re: separate package for iotop?

    Hi Paul,

    thanks for bringing iotop to my attention!

    On Monday 21 April 2008 13:13, Paul Wise wrote:
    > Craig, do you think including the iotop python script in procps is a
    > good idea or should I create a separate package for it.

    moreutils might also be an option, it would also be a new dependency, but at
    least it's optional.

    regards,
    Holger

+ Reply to Thread