[Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA - Debian

This is a discussion on [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA - Debian ; Please, consider bug #473260 to DI ERRATA. # lspci | grep -i vga VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03) After xorg instalation (DI Beta1 Lenny) DI and X show a screen with very huge ...

  1. [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA

    Please, consider bug #473260 to DI ERRATA.

    # lspci | grep -i vga
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML
    Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

    After xorg instalation (DI Beta1 Lenny) DI and X show a screen with very
    huge fonts and window (one word have 1/8 size of monitor).

    Is necessary edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc inserting parameter -dpi 96 in
    ServerArgsLocal argument:

    ServerArgsLocal=-dpi 96 -nolisten tcp

    P.S. I'm not subscribe in this ML. So cc me in replys.

    Regards,
    Renato S. Yamane
    Brazil

  2. Re: [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA

    On Monday 14 April 2008, Renato S. Yamane wrote:
    > # lspci | grep -i vga
    > VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML
    > Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    >
    > After xorg instalation (DI Beta1 Lenny) DI and X show a screen with very
    > huge fonts and window (one word have 1/8 size of monitor).
    >
    > Is necessary edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc inserting parameter -dpi 96 in
    > ServerArgsLocal argument:
    >
    > ServerArgsLocal=-dpi 96 -nolisten tcp

    I don't think so.
    From the bug report it seems this is specific to your _laptop_, not the
    graphical card in it. IMO this means it is too specific for our errata.

    Thanks for the suggestion though.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  3. Re: [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA

    Frans Pop wrote:
    > Renato S. Yamane wrote:
    >> # lspci | grep -i vga
    >> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML
    >> Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    >>
    >> After xorg instalation (DI Beta1 Lenny) DI and X show a screen with very
    >> huge fonts and window (one word have 1/8 size of monitor).
    >>
    >> Is necessary edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc inserting parameter -dpi 96 in
    >> ServerArgsLocal argument:
    >>
    >> ServerArgsLocal=-dpi 96 -nolisten tcp

    > I don't think so.
    > From the bug report it seems this is specific to your _laptop_, not the
    > graphical card in it. IMO this means it is too specific for our errata.

    Hi Frans!
    I found a lot of user with this problem when come from Etch to Lenny.

    And Julien says: "...We may have to add a quirk in the server..." (see
    #473260 - Message #37).

    Maybe errata will need: "IF you have some problem with wrong size screen
    in your laptop, think follow the tip available in #473260 - Message #42).

    If some users can't use X, this users can't report other bugs.

    P.S. Pls, keep me in cc.

    Regards,
    Renato S. Yamane

  4. Re: [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA

    On Monday 14 April 2008, Renato S. Yamane wrote:
    > I found a lot of user with this problem when come from Etch to Lenny.
    >
    > And Julien says: "...We may have to add a quirk in the server..." (see
    > #473260 - Message #37).
    >
    > Maybe errata will need: "IF you have some problem with wrong size screen
    > in your laptop, think follow the tip available in #473260 - Message #42).

    If it is also an issue for upgrades, it is a general erratum that should be
    listed in the release notes, not in the Installer errata.

    Please file a bug report against the pseudo package "release-notes".

    Cheers,
    FJP

  5. Re: [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA

    On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:39:34 -0300, Renato S. Yamane wrote:

    >>> # lspci | grep -i vga
    >>> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML
    >>> Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    >>>
    >>> After xorg instalation (DI Beta1 Lenny) DI and X show a screen with very
    >>> huge fonts and window (one word have 1/8 size of monitor).
    >>>
    >>> Is necessary edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc inserting parameter -dpi 96 in
    >>> ServerArgsLocal argument:
    >>>
    >>> ServerArgsLocal=-dpi 96 -nolisten tcp

    If this is still necessary with sid's X server, please file a bug
    against the xserver-xorg-core package, including a full log
    (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) with the "ModeDebug" option turned on in
    xorg.conf (in the Device section). We need to get these things fixed.

    Thanks,
    Julien

  6. Re: [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA

    On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Julien Cristau wrote:

    > If this is still necessary with sid's X server, please file a bug
    > against the xserver-xorg-core package, including a full log
    > (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) with the "ModeDebug" option turned on in
    > xorg.conf (in the Device section). We need to get these things fixed.

    Is there any indication when we may see sid's X server in testing? Given the
    major changes in the X server, it would be great to see it get a lot more
    testing during new installs than we are currently getting.

    The current lack of new install testing of X is IMO one of the greater
    threats to the quality of Lenny. We're losing time to respond (read: fix)
    to issues that may only be discovered after a migration of xserver-xorg.

    I also wonder if further delaying the migration of X is really a good choice
    at this point, given that there are also pretty serious issues with the
    version of X that is currently in testing.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  7. Re: [Bug #473260] Consider it to DI ERRATA

    On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 02:07:38 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

    > Is there any indication when we may see sid's X server in testing? Given the
    > major changes in the X server, it would be great to see it get a lot more
    > testing during new installs than we are currently getting.

    It's currently blocked by #461760 (which looks like it has a fix) and
    #457722 (which we will probably ignore for now), so I expect a
    transition soon. Just needs a confirmation for #461760 and an
    xorg-server upload to fix it.

    Cheers,
    Julien