Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Debian

This is a discussion on Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Debian ; Hello, I wanted to install Debian Lenny (testing, beta-version) on my IBM Thinkpad R51. The installer started fine but when it comes to network-card detection the installer freezes. I have tried to start the installation in expert mode, changed to ...

  1. Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    Hello,

    I wanted to install Debian Lenny (testing, beta-version) on my IBM
    Thinkpad R51. The installer started fine but when it comes to
    network-card detection the installer freezes. I have tried to start the
    installation in expert mode, changed to the terminal and did a modprobe
    e1000 and a modprobe e1000e, but both modules cannot be found. Are they
    compiled statically into the kernel? I know that the e1000 module works
    fine on the same machine for the 2.6.18 kernel of the stable(etch)
    release? Do you have any ideas how I can get this machine running in
    debian testing?

    Thanks in advance

    Kai

  2. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > I wanted to install Debian Lenny (testing, beta-version) on my IBM
    > Thinkpad R51. The installer started fine but when it comes to
    > network-card detection the installer freezes. I have tried to start the
    > installation in expert mode, changed to the terminal and did a modprobe
    > e1000 and a modprobe e1000e, but both modules cannot be found. Are they
    > compiled statically into the kernel? I know that the e1000 module works
    > fine on the same machine for the 2.6.18 kernel of the stable(etch)
    > release? Do you have any ideas how I can get this machine running in
    > debian testing?

    The e1000 module should definitely be available with the Beta1 release of
    the installer. As that release uses 2.6.22, it is correct that e1000e is
    not available.

    Could you please try a daily build of the installer [1]? That has the 2.6.24
    kernel and includes both the e1000 and the new e1000e driver.

    If I recall correctly, we have had another report of the installer hanging
    during NIC detection and that was solved with the daily builds.

    Cheers,
    FJP

    [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

  3. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    I have tried the daily build
    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/da...86-netinst.iso
    of today (14. April 2008, 15.00 h GMT+1) build on 12-Apr-2008 23:52 but
    that does not work either.

    After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
    screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
    blinking with the other installer, too).

    Any ideas?

    Kai

    Am Montag, den 14.04.2008, 16:11 +0200 schrieb Frans Pop:
    > On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > > I wanted to install Debian Lenny (testing, beta-version) on my IBM
    > > Thinkpad R51. The installer started fine but when it comes to
    > > network-card detection the installer freezes. I have tried to start the
    > > installation in expert mode, changed to the terminal and did a modprobe
    > > e1000 and a modprobe e1000e, but both modules cannot be found. Are they
    > > compiled statically into the kernel? I know that the e1000 module works
    > > fine on the same machine for the 2.6.18 kernel of the stable(etch)
    > > release? Do you have any ideas how I can get this machine running in
    > > debian testing?

    > The e1000 module should definitely be available with the Beta1 release of
    > the installer. As that release uses 2.6.22, it is correct that e1000e is
    > not available.
    >
    > Could you please try a daily build of the installer [1]? That has the 2.6.24
    > kernel and includes both the e1000 and the new e1000e driver.
    >
    > If I recall correctly, we have had another report of the installer hanging
    > during NIC detection and that was solved with the daily builds.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > FJP
    >
    > [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

  4. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    Am Montag, den 14.04.2008, 16:11 +0200 schrieb Frans Pop:
    > On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > > I wanted to install Debian Lenny (testing, beta-version) on my IBM
    > > Thinkpad R51. The installer started fine but when it comes to
    > > network-card detection the installer freezes. I have tried to start the
    > > installation in expert mode, changed to the terminal and did a modprobe
    > > e1000 and a modprobe e1000e, but both modules cannot be found. Are they
    > > compiled statically into the kernel? I know that the e1000 module works
    > > fine on the same machine for the 2.6.18 kernel of the stable(etch)
    > > release? Do you have any ideas how I can get this machine running in
    > > debian testing?

    > The e1000 module should definitely be available with the Beta1 release of
    > the installer. As that release uses 2.6.22, it is correct that e1000e is
    > not available.
    >
    > Could you please try a daily build of the installer [1]? That has the 2.6.24
    > kernel and includes both the e1000 and the new e1000e driver.

    Maybe I should add some more details...

    The network card in my R51 is (from lspci):
    02:01:0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet
    Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)
    02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B
    Mini PCI Adapter (rev 03)

    If I install the stable release and shortafter do a dist-upgrade to
    lenny I get the 2.6.24-1-686 kernel installed. It automatically loads
    the modules e1000 and ipw2100 and although I haven't tested the wireless
    device, the networking via the ethernet device is perfect.

    Therefore there must be an error in the installation kernel of the lenny
    installer or in the installer itself.

    Kai

    > If I recall correctly, we have had another report of the installer hanging
    > during NIC detection and that was solved with the daily builds.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > FJP
    >
    > [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

  5. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > I have tried the daily build
    > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/da...atest/i386/iso
    >-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso of today (14. April 2008, 15.00 h
    > GMT+1) build on 12-Apr-2008 23:52 but that does not work either.
    >
    > After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
    > screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
    > blinking with the other installer, too).

    Please try booting the daily build version of the installer with
    install DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text priority=medium

    This will boot the installer in text mode. The user interface will be
    different, but the questions will be the same.
    Proceed with the installation, but stop _before_ the network hardware
    detection phase. Instead of that, choose the option "Execute a shell".

    When you have the shell, edit the scripts /bin/ethdetect and /bin/hw-detect
    using 'nano' and uncomment the line with '#set -x' in both (remove the "#"
    at the start of the line). Then execute 'ethdetect' from the shell.

    I hope that that the info on the display when the hang occurs will help
    determine what is causing it.

    On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > If I install the stable release and shortafter do a dist-upgrade to
    > lenny I get the 2.6.24-1-686 kernel installed. It automatically loads
    > the modules e1000 and ipw2100 and although I haven't tested the wireless
    > device, the networking via the ethernet device is perfect.
    >
    > Therefore there must be an error in the installation kernel of the lenny
    > installer or in the installer itself.

    That does not automatically follow as the kernel the installer uses is
    identical to the regular Debian kernel while the most likely cause of the
    problem is still in the kernel.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  6. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    Am Montag, den 14.04.2008, 18:15 +0200 schrieb Frans Pop:
    > On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > > I have tried the daily build
    > > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/da...atest/i386/iso
    > >-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso of today (14. April 2008, 15.00 h
    > > GMT+1) build on 12-Apr-2008 23:52 but that does not work either.
    > >
    > > After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
    > > screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
    > > blinking with the other installer, too).

    > Please try booting the daily build version of the installer with
    > install DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text priority=medium
    >
    > This will boot the installer in text mode. The user interface will be
    > different, but the questions will be the same.
    > Proceed with the installation, but stop _before_ the network hardware
    > detection phase. Instead of that, choose the option "Execute a shell".
    >
    > When you have the shell, edit the scripts /bin/ethdetect and /bin/hw-detect
    > using 'nano' and uncomment the line with '#set -x' in both (remove the "#"
    > at the start of the line). Then execute 'ethdetect' from the shell.
    >
    > I hope that that the info on the display when the hang occurs will help
    > determine what is causing it.

    I have done all according to your suggestions: The background of the
    screen now is red and the last lines read like (this is all I can read)

    .... ss/net/lo
    + local socket=/sys/class/pcmcia_socket/pcmcia_socket0
    + local netdev=/sys/class/net/lo
    + [ -L /sys/class/net/lo/device ]
    + [ 1 -eq 1 ]
    + grep -q pcmciautils /var/lib/apt-install/queue
    + apt-install udev
    + true
    + [ -f /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug ]
    + apt-install usbutils
    + true
    + [ -d /proc/acpi ]
    + apt-install acpi
    + true
    + apt-install acpid
    + true
    + apt-install acpi-support-base
    + true
    + [-d /sys/class/mic/pmu/ ]
    + list-devices cd
    + list-devices maybe-usb-floppy
    + [-n /dev/hdc ]
    + apt-install eject
    t-devices maybe-usb-floppy

    I have transscribed the above message from my laptop screen and inserted
    a linefeed before every "+" since the original output looks a bit more
    like:
    ss/net/lo
    + local socket=...

    after the above line "...maybe-usb-floppy" the machine hangs and again
    the caps-lock LED is blinking.

    Kai

    > On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > > If I install the stable release and shortafter do a dist-upgrade to
    > > lenny I get the 2.6.24-1-686 kernel installed. It automatically loads
    > > the modules e1000 and ipw2100 and although I haven't tested the wireless
    > > device, the networking via the ethernet device is perfect.
    > >
    > > Therefore there must be an error in the installation kernel of the lenny
    > > installer or in the installer itself.

    > That does not automatically follow as the kernel the installer uses is
    > identical to the regular Debian kernel while the most likely cause of the
    > problem is still in the kernel.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > FJP

  7. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 04:49:52PM +0200, Kai Brandhorst wrote:

    > After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
    > screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
    > blinking with the other installer, too).

    This seems similar to the last message in #470522.
    Could you try booting the installer with:

    install fb=false

    --
    Miroslav Kure

  8. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 15:29 +0200 schrieb Miroslav Kure:
    > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 04:49:52PM +0200, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
    > >
    > > After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
    > > screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
    > > blinking with the other installer, too).

    > This seems similar to the last message in #470522.
    > Could you try booting the installer with:
    >
    > install fb=false

    Thank you, that worked!

    --
    ___________________________________

    Dipl.-Chem Kai Brandhorst
    Institut für Organische Chemie
    Technische Universität Braunschweig
    Hagenring 30
    D-38106 Braunschweig
    E-Mail: k.brandhorst@tu-bs.de
    Tel.: +49 (0)531 - 391 5392

  9. Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    > > After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
    > > screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
    > > blinking with the other installer, too).
    >
    > This seems similar to the last message in #470522.
    > Could you try booting the installer with:
    >
    > install fb=false

    Thank you, that worked!

    > --
    > Miroslav Kure

    Hi,
    I have the same problem as above however booting with "install fb=false" didn't work for me.
    It did however allow me to see the output of the error as in attachment below:
    sorry about the blurryness!
    I appreciate any help anyone can offer, let me know if you need specific info about my system.
    thanks

+ Reply to Thread