python-sphinx or sphinx? - Debian

  1. python-sphinx or sphinx?

  2. Re: python-sphinx or sphinx?

    On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:25:54AM +0700, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
    > Gentlemen,
    >
    > I'm going to package tool called Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) -
    > documentation generator for Python projects.
    >
    > In ITP (#474782) I chose package name to be 'python-sphinx', however
    > then the package will be thought as containing just python modules.
    >
    > Is it ok to go ahead and use such generic package name as 'sphinx',
    > given the recentness of the package and it's (still) small userbase?

    The python-wxglade package is an application and not just modules. That
    is just one example. Personally, I am ambivalent on the matter.

    Regards,

    -Roberto

    --
    Roberto C. Sánchez
    http://people.connexer.com/~roberto

  3. Re: python-sphinx or sphinx?

    Hi,

    Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
    > Gentlemen,
    >
    > I'm going to package tool called Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) -
    > documentation generator for Python projects.
    >
    > In ITP (#474782) I chose package name to be 'python-sphinx', however
    > then the package will be thought as containing just python modules.
    >
    > Is it ok to go ahead and use such generic package name as 'sphinx',
    > given the recentness of the package and it's (still) small userbase?

    If it's just a tool, that name is fine. But if it also contains modules, then I
    think you should go for python-*. Perhaps you could make two binary packages,
    one for the module(s) and one for the tool, although that could be overkilling...

    I'm CCing debian-python@ so you can get better answers.

    Emilio

  4. Re: python-sphinx or sphinx?

    Hi,

    > If it's just a tool, that name is fine. But if it also contains modules, then I
    > think you should go for python-*. Perhaps you could make two binary packages,
    > one for the module(s) and one for the tool, although that could be overkilling...

    looks more like a module in my eyes, so python-sphinx

    Cheers,

    Bernd

    --
    Bernd Zeimetz