Request for new kernel package, for the maintenance team. (Kernel options: bigmem+vserver, combined) - Debian

This is a discussion on Request for new kernel package, for the maintenance team. (Kernel options: bigmem+vserver, combined) - Debian ; Hi, I have a few Debian servers with aprox. 8GB of memory. I'm also running vserver on this servers, and this gives me a problem using the kernel packages that is provided by the Debian Kernel Team. My request is: ...

  1. Request for new kernel package, for the maintenance team. (Kernel options: bigmem+vserver, combined)

    Hi,

    I have a few Debian servers with aprox. 8GB of memory. I'm also running
    vserver on this servers, and this gives me a problem using the kernel
    packages that is provided by the Debian Kernel Team.

    My request is:
    Please create and maintain a new package, that combines the kernel
    options "bigmem" and the "vserver" into one packages - or maybe even
    simpler, by just updating the existing vserver kernel package, with the
    bigmem option.

    # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
    CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
    CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

    Anyone else that thinks this is a good idea?

    --
    Johnny Damtoft

  2. Re: Request for new kernel package, for the maintenance team. (Kernel options: bigmem+vserver, combined)

    Hi,

    On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 14:33 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
    > > My request is:
    > > Please create and maintain a new package, that combines the kernel
    > > options "bigmem" and the "vserver" into one packages - or maybe even
    > > simpler, by just updating the existing vserver kernel package, with
    > > the bigmem option.
    > >
    > > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
    > > CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
    > > CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
    > >
    > > Anyone else that thinks this is a good idea?

    > no use amd64 for bigmem

    Are you telling me that the amd64 version of vserver is including
    CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y ??

    I have both 32bit and 64bit servers, can the amd64 version run on both
    server types? (IBM x346, 3.2G Xeon - IBM x3650, QC2.66G, Xeon)

    --
    Johnny Damtoft

  3. Re: Request for new kernel package, for the maintenance team. (Kernel options: bigmem+vserver, combined)

    On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 11:41:33AM +0200, Johnny Damtoft wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a few Debian servers with aprox. 8GB of memory. I'm also running
    > vserver on this servers, and this gives me a problem using the kernel
    > packages that is provided by the Debian Kernel Team.
    >
    > My request is:
    > Please create and maintain a new package, that combines the kernel
    > options "bigmem" and the "vserver" into one packages - or maybe even
    > simpler, by just updating the existing vserver kernel package, with the
    > bigmem option.
    >
    > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
    > CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
    > CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
    >
    > Anyone else that thinks this is a good idea?

    no use amd64 for bigmem

    also vserver patch stays currently 2.6.22, will need quite some forward
    porting to reach 2.6.25.

  4. Re: Request for new kernel package, for the maintenance team. (Kernel options: bigmem+vserver, combined)

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008, Johnny Damtoft wrote:

    > Are you telling me that the amd64 version of vserver is including
    > CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y ??

    that option is an 32 bit legacy.
    no need for it on x86_64