AJackson wrote:
> On Apr 4, 1:45 am, "John F. Morse" wrote:
>
>> Most of my GNU/Linux installations use Debian 3.1, with older Ubuntu,
>> Fedora Core, Lindows, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, etc. IIRC, these all
>> use XFree86, and I had to learn to fine-tune it over the years.

>> Fatal server error:
>> no screens found
>>

> Xorg panics and exits when it cant find a suitable resolution for the
> card.

Thanks for the good info. It's right on target.

The problem was taken care of about a month ago and is working fine now,
if you can say 1024 x 768 looks good on a 21" monitor. ;-)

This spare monitor was used only on this one PC during an upgrade from
Sarge to Etch, and now during an oops troubleshooting phase, hunting an
intermittent hardware failure, so it isn't a big deal. The PC normally
runs headless, using SSH for any maintenance, and presently for tailing
logs while it cooks.

Thanks for your input.

--
John