Hard Drive Problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Hard Drive Problem - Debian ; The laptop I have has worked nearly 2 years. But since the last three months, when I started to take it with me on the road, the problem appeared, some files can't be read randomly, I have checked the hard ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hard Drive Problem

  1. Hard Drive Problem

    The laptop I have has worked nearly 2 years. But since
    the last three months, when I started to take it with
    me on the road, the problem appeared, some files can't
    be read randomly, I have checked the hard drive with
    bad block, no bad block. I noticed one thing that is
    when the laptop just booted up, the hard drive made
    some strange noise, so I think it's the arm has
    damaged due to shock.

    After that, I bought a new hard drive, and started to
    use it since yestoday. first I used Knoppix to run a
    linux system, made a xfs filesystem, then start
    install debian on the hard drive. but before I reboot
    into the new system, I found that the Load_Cycle_Count
    had reached 330. I believe this is because the kernel
    version 2.6.18 which used by Knoppix. and during that
    time, I noticed that the external 3.5 inch hard drive
    which was connected throw a USB IDE adaptor had made
    many soft reset.

    Now I am using the new system, and the internal 2.5
    inch hard drive works fine. but the external usb hard
    drive stopped work. When I powered it on, it ran for a
    few seconds, then reset, no matter how many times I
    reboot it.
    when I tried to mount it (/dev/sda1) I got "mount:
    wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock "
    and I found /dev/sda1 belonged to "root floppy", is it
    correct?

    I need help urgently, because there are lots of
    important files saved on the external hard drive.
    please give me some information, anything will be
    helpful. thanks.




    __________________________________________________ ________
    Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
    A Smarter Inbox http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  2. Re: Hard Drive Problem

    append some log for more detail.
    Apr 2 05:30:43 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4: new high
    speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    Apr 2 05:30:43 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4:
    configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Apr 2 05:30:43 localhost kernel: scsi2 : SCSI
    emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Apr 2 05:30:43 localhost kernel: usb-storage: device
    found at 7
    Apr 2 05:30:43 localhost kernel: usb-storage: waiting
    for device to settle before scanning
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0:
    Direct-Access USB 2.0 Storage Device 0100 PQ: 0
    ANSI: 0 CCS
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    390721968 512-byte hardware sectors (200050 MB)
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Write Protect is off
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Mode Sense: 08 00 00 00
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Assuming drive cache: write through
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    390721968 512-byte hardware sectors (200050 MB)
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Write Protect is off
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Mode Sense: 08 00 00 00
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Assuming drive cache: write through
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sda: sda1
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Attached SCSI disk
    Apr 2 05:30:48 localhost kernel: usb-storage: device
    scan complete
    Apr 2 05:32:04 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4: reset
    high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    Apr 2 05:32:35 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4: reset
    high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    Apr 2 05:33:05 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4: reset
    high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O
    error, dev sda, sector 109052279
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O
    error, dev sda, sector 134217863
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O
    error, dev sda, sector 134217863
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4: USB
    disconnect, address 7
    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    metapage_read_end_io: I/O error

    --- gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:

    > The laptop I have has worked nearly 2 years. But
    > since
    > the last three months, when I started to take it
    > with
    > me on the road, the problem appeared, some files
    > can't
    > be read randomly, I have checked the hard drive with
    > bad block, no bad block. I noticed one thing that is
    > when the laptop just booted up, the hard drive made
    > some strange noise, so I think it's the arm has
    > damaged due to shock.
    >
    > After that, I bought a new hard drive, and started
    > to
    > use it since yestoday. first I used Knoppix to run a
    > linux system, made a xfs filesystem, then start
    > install debian on the hard drive. but before I
    > reboot
    > into the new system, I found that the
    > Load_Cycle_Count
    > had reached 330. I believe this is because the
    > kernel
    > version 2.6.18 which used by Knoppix. and during
    > that
    > time, I noticed that the external 3.5 inch hard
    > drive
    > which was connected throw a USB IDE adaptor had made
    > many soft reset.
    >
    > Now I am using the new system, and the internal 2.5
    > inch hard drive works fine. but the external usb
    > hard
    > drive stopped work. When I powered it on, it ran for
    > a
    > few seconds, then reset, no matter how many times I
    > reboot it.
    > when I tried to mount it (/dev/sda1) I got "mount:
    > wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock "
    > and I found /dev/sda1 belonged to "root floppy", is
    > it
    > correct?
    >
    > I need help urgently, because there are lots of
    > important files saved on the external hard drive.
    > please give me some information, anything will be
    > helpful. thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    __________________________________________________ ________
    > Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
    > A Smarter Inbox
    > http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
    >
    >
    > --
    > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
    > debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    > with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
    > listmaster@lists.debian.org
    >
    >






    __________________________________________________ ________
    Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
    A Smarter Inbox http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


    __________________________________________________ _________
    Yahoo! For Good helps you make a difference

    http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  3. Re: Hard Drive Problem

    make sure all your cables are conntect, and make sure to try an other
    cable/drive cage.

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008, gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:

    Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    > Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O
    > error, dev sda, sector 134217863
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    > metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    > Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O
    > error, dev sda, sector 134217863
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    > metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4: USB
    > disconnect, address 7
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    > metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    >
    > --- gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Now I am using the new system, and the internal 2.5
    > > inch hard drive works fine. but the external usb
    > > hard
    > > drive stopped work. When I powered it on, it ran for
    > > a
    > > few seconds, then reset, no matter how many times I
    > > reboot it.
    > > when I tried to mount it (/dev/sda1) I got "mount:
    > > wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock "
    > > and I found /dev/sda1 belonged to "root floppy", is
    > > it
    > > correct?
    > >
    > > I need help urgently, because there are lots of
    > > important files saved on the external hard drive.
    > > please give me some information, anything will be
    > > helpful. thanks.



    --
    Florian Reitmeir


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  4. Re: Hard Drive Problem

    Thanks.

    Today I have rebooted the hard drive many times, only
    two times worked. maybe you are right, the usb to ide
    controller has damaged.
    But another question, sometimes I didn't connect the
    USB hard drive to my laptop, just power on it, it did
    the same thing, reset. after a reset, the hard drive
    was unaccessible.

    --- Florian Reitmeir wrote:

    > make sure all your cables are conntect, and make
    > sure to try an other
    > cable/drive cage.
    >
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008, gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda]
    > > Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
    > > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O
    > > error, dev sda, sector 134217863
    > > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    > > metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    > > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0:

    > [sda]
    > > Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
    > > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O
    > > error, dev sda, sector 134217863
    > > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    > > metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    > > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel: usb 5-4.4: USB
    > > disconnect, address 7
    > > Apr 2 05:33:11 localhost kernel:
    > > metapage_read_end_io: I/O error
    > >
    > > --- gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > > Now I am using the new system, and the internal

    > 2.5
    > > > inch hard drive works fine. but the external usb
    > > > hard
    > > > drive stopped work. When I powered it on, it ran

    > for
    > > > a
    > > > few seconds, then reset, no matter how many

    > times I
    > > > reboot it.
    > > > when I tried to mount it (/dev/sda1) I got

    > "mount:
    > > > wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock "
    > > > and I found /dev/sda1 belonged to "root floppy",

    > is
    > > > it
    > > > correct?
    > > >
    > > > I need help urgently, because there are lots of
    > > > important files saved on the external hard

    > drive.
    > > > please give me some information, anything will

    > be
    > > > helpful. thanks.

    >
    >
    > --
    > Florian Reitmeir
    >
    >
    > --
    > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
    > debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    > with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
    > listmaster@lists.debian.org
    >
    >





    __________________________________________________ ________
    Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
    A Smarter Inbox http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  5. Re: Hard Drive Problem

    On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:06:52AM +0100, gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:
    > But another question, sometimes I didn't connect the
    > USB hard drive to my laptop, just power on it, it did
    > the same thing, reset. after a reset, the hard drive
    > was unaccessible.


    the hdd is definitely gone. Or the controller. Either way, you're better off
    to return it to the shop, still in warranty, else you could try to break the
    seal, take out the hdd, fit it into a desktop and see how it goes.
    Even if damaged, perhaps that way you *might* be able to recover some data
    - check for datarecovery pkgs, eg testdisk, mondo (iirc).


    --
    paolo


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  6. Re: Hard Drive Problem

    Thanks.

    I believe you are right.
    I have used the hard drive for BT download for two
    years, this year use it to do weekly backup. but now
    it retired
    --- Paolo wrote:

    > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:06:52AM +0100,
    > gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > But another question, sometimes I didn't connect

    > the
    > > USB hard drive to my laptop, just power on it, it

    > did
    > > the same thing, reset. after a reset, the hard

    > drive
    > > was unaccessible.

    >
    > the hdd is definitely gone. Or the controller.
    > Either way, you're better off
    > to return it to the shop, still in warranty, else
    > you could try to break the
    > seal, take out the hdd, fit it into a desktop and
    > see how it goes.
    > Even if damaged, perhaps that way you *might* be
    > able to recover some data
    > - check for datarecovery pkgs, eg testdisk, mondo
    > (iirc).
    >
    >
    > --
    > paolo
    >
    >
    > --
    > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
    > debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    > with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
    > listmaster@lists.debian.org
    >
    >




    __________________________________________________ _________
    Yahoo! For Good helps you make a difference

    http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

+ Reply to Thread