Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk - Debian

This is a discussion on Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk - Debian ; Hi, KDE 4.0.3 will be released tomorrow, but it won't be upload to Debian. Instead, we, the KDE packagers, have started to work directly on KDE 4.1. We are currently uploading packages to experimental with a trunk snapshot from KDE's ...

  1. Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    Hi,

    KDE 4.0.3 will be released tomorrow, but it won't be upload to Debian.
    Instead, we, the KDE packagers, have started to work directly on KDE 4.1. We
    are currently uploading packages to experimental with a trunk snapshot from
    KDE's subversion. They are those packages named 4.0.6X+svnXXXX

    This 4.0.6X packages include _big changes_ in some packages, specially new
    stuff that made some packages go to NEW first, the upgrade path from 3.5.9
    is not fully tested/fixed, and they are being uploaded for i386.
    So if you are using another arch different of i386, you will have to wait
    maybe 2 weeks or so for having packages for you arch, and if you are using
    i386 you still will have to wait packages be accepted in NEW and do not be
    surprised if they do not update fine.

    My personal piece of advise:

    a) if you are a 3.5.9 user waiting to test KDE 4, wait for at least a month
    and then we trust KDE 4 packages in experimental will be nice to install and
    KDE 4.1 will be nice to use as well.

    b) if you are a 4.0.2 user, wait at least 2 weeks.

    As always, pretty please only report bugs against pacckages in experimental
    when it is clearly a Debian packaging related bug, for bugs in KDE desktop
    itself, please use KDE's bugzilla.

    Ana

  2. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    Hi,

    A Dimarts 01 Abril 2008, Ana Guerrero va escriure:
    > Hi,
    >
    > KDE 4.0.3 will be released tomorrow, but it won't be upload to Debian.
    > Instead, we, the KDE packagers, have started to work directly on KDE 4.1.
    > We are currently uploading packages to experimental with a trunk snapshot
    > from KDE's subversion. They are those packages named 4.0.6X+svnXXXX

    Nice to hear!!!, are there arleady Qt 4.4 packages?

    Thanks,

    Josep

  3. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    Ana, and the other kde debian devs

    thanks for packaging 4.0.67.
    Upgrading from 4.0.2 worked fine except for some conflict between
    cervisia and lokalize (the cervisia icon is shared by both)
    Also the extragear/plasma applets are missing.
    what are the plans now for 4.0.xx (xx > 67) packages ? are you
    planning regular updates ? weekly, every too weeks, monthly?

    are there any official 4.1 snapshots? I got his link from Google
    Reader to D. Mueller blog
    http://wire.dattitu.de/archives/2008/03/28/37.html

    thanks again for your work and have a good day
    C.
    On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Ana Guerrero wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > KDE 4.0.3 will be released tomorrow, but it won't be upload to Debian.
    > Instead, we, the KDE packagers, have started to work directly on KDE 4.1. We
    > are currently uploading packages to experimental with a trunk snapshot from
    > KDE's subversion. They are those packages named 4.0.6X+svnXXXX
    >
    > This 4.0.6X packages include _big changes_ in some packages, specially new
    > stuff that made some packages go to NEW first, the upgrade path from 3.5.9
    > is not fully tested/fixed, and they are being uploaded for i386.
    > So if you are using another arch different of i386, you will have to wait
    > maybe 2 weeks or so for having packages for you arch, and if you are using
    > i386 you still will have to wait packages be accepted in NEW and do not be
    > surprised if they do not update fine.
    >
    > My personal piece of advise:
    >
    > a) if you are a 3.5.9 user waiting to test KDE 4, wait for at least a month
    > and then we trust KDE 4 packages in experimental will be nice to install and
    > KDE 4.1 will be nice to use as well.
    >
    > b) if you are a 4.0.2 user, wait at least 2 weeks.
    >

    > As always, pretty please only report bugs against pacckages in experimental
    > when it is clearly a Debian packaging related bug, for bugs in KDE desktop
    > itself, please use KDE's bugzilla.
    >
    > Ana
    >

    > --

  4. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 09:08:44AM +0200, Christophe Prud'homme wrote:
    > Ana, and the other kde debian devs
    >
    > thanks for packaging 4.0.67.
    > Upgrading from 4.0.2 worked fine except for some conflict between
    > cervisia and lokalize (the cervisia icon is shared by both)
    > Also the extragear/plasma applets are missing.
    > what are the plans now for 4.0.xx (xx > 67) packages ? are you
    > planning regular updates ? weekly, every too weeks, monthly?

    Those conflict you talk about (and some others), are already fixed.
    I am currently waiting qt 4.4 rc1 enters in unstable (luckily today or
    tomorrow), to push a new snapshot in experimental that will be ok to use,
    at least way more tested that the currently uploaded one...
    then we'll upload a new extragear-plasma package and udpate some others
    like yakuake.

    > are there any official 4.1 snapshots? I got his link from Google
    > Reader to D. Mueller blog
    > http://wire.dattitu.de/archives/2008/03/28/37.html

    Yes, but there are not much difference between working with dirk's snapshot
    and making our own snapshots. When we did upload this first 4.1 snapshot,
    "official" one was like 5 days old so i made a new one. In the future I would
    like to try to align upload with this official-ish snapshot becuase it helps
    better to tracks bug on upstream. But I can not promise we will end doing this,
    thought. (Indicating svn revision imho suits this too).

    There will be a mail when KDE 4.1 packages are nice for wide use, until then,
    unless you are feeling adventurous, i would stick with KDE 3.5.9 (or 4.0.2 that
    is not in the archive anymore..)

    Ana

  5. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    Are you really sure that removing libqt4-core and adding libqtcore4 is
    a good idea? Maybe can be different packages but what I really care
    about is dependencies. Any application that runs with libqt4-core 4.3
    will run if you have installed libqtcore4. Compatibility must be
    maintained forward, not backward.

    1. User's won't just have problems when updating to qt 4.4. External
    packages like skype will take months for updating, becoming broken.
    (Runs ok both with libqt4-core 4.3 and libqtcore4 4.4 but depends on
    libqt4-core). Then they will have to deal with Ubuntu Dapper that
    includes libqt4-core 4.3.

    3. After that don't know if Ubuntu will do the same renaming for next
    version but many people will still use Dapper so in worst case there
    will be three or four different combinations and packages (or
    dependency changes) must be done to deal with this situation.

    Don't have a good knowledge of the reasons for renaming but please,
    Keep It Simple

    --
    Ramon Antonio Parada
    Skype: ramon.parada

  6. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    On 2008-04-07, Christophe Prud'homme wrote:

    Hi Christophe

    > Hi Ramon
    >
    > I guess that you wanted to send your email to the debian-kde list
    > I agree with you that the lib renaming is going to trigger quite a lot
    > of problems.
    > I had indeed to reinstall skype using the static lib because the
    > libqt4-core renaming.

    We do our best to keep it simple. but issues like abi changes and stuff
    needs to be dealt with properly.

    As a boost maintainer I think you know about that

    We might provide a libqt4-core transitional package, but taht is still
    undecided. (please see thread on -release)

    I don't know if ubuntu will follow the rename.

    /Sune

    > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Ramon Antonio Parada
    > wrote:
    >> Are you really sure that removing libqt4-core and adding libqtcore4 is
    >> a good idea? Maybe can be different packages but what I really care
    >> about is dependencies. Any application that runs with libqt4-core 4.3
    >> will run if you have installed libqtcore4. Compatibility must be
    >> maintained forward, not backward.
    >>
    >> 1. User's won't just have problems when updating to qt 4.4. External
    >> packages like skype will take months for updating, becoming broken.
    >> (Runs ok both with libqt4-core 4.3 and libqtcore4 4.4 but depends on
    >> libqt4-core). Then they will have to deal with Ubuntu Dapper that
    >> includes libqt4-core 4.3.
    >>
    >> 3. After that don't know if Ubuntu will do the same renaming for next
    >> version but many people will still use Dapper so in worst case there
    >> will be three or four different combinations and packages (or
    >> dependency changes) must be done to deal with this situation.
    >>

    >> Don't have a good knowledge of the reasons for renaming but please,
    >> Keep It Simple
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramon Antonio Parada
    >> Skype: ramon.parada
    >> Spain: +34 651 948819
    >> US: +1 (310) 651-8072
    >> http://ramonantonio.net/

  7. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    wrote:
    > Are you really sure that removing libqt4-core and adding libqtcore4 is
    > a good idea? Maybe can be different packages but what I really care
    > about is dependencies. Any application that runs with libqt4-core 4.3
    > will run if you have installed libqtcore4. Compatibility must be
    > maintained forward, not backward.
    >
    > 1. User's won't just have problems when updating to qt 4.4. External
    > packages like skype will take months for updating, becoming broken.
    > (Runs ok both with libqt4-core 4.3 and libqtcore4 4.4 but depends on
    > libqt4-core). Then they will have to deal with Ubuntu Dapper that
    > includes libqt4-core 4.3.
    >
    > 3. After that don't know if Ubuntu will do the same renaming for next
    > version but many people will still use Dapper so in worst case there
    > will be three or four different combinations and packages (or
    > dependency changes) must be done to deal with this situation.
    >

    > Don't have a good knowledge of the reasons for renaming but please,
    > Keep It Simple
    >

    > --
    > Ramon Antonio Parada
    > Skype: ramon.parada
    > Spain: +34 651 948819
    > US: +1 (310) 651-8072
    > http://ramonantonio.net/

  8. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    Hi,

    2008 m. April 7 d., Monday, Ramon Antonio Parada rašė:
    > Are you really sure that removing libqt4-core and adding libqtcore4 is
    > a good idea? Maybe can be different packages but what I really care
    > about is dependencies. Any application that runs with libqt4-core 4.3
    > will run if you have installed libqtcore4. Compatibility must be
    > maintained forward, not backward.

    libqt4-core metapackage will be provided in packages of Qt 4.4 RC1 and later.
    Qt 4.4 RC1 will be uploaded to unstable really soon. Stay tuned.

    --
    Modestas Vainius

  9. Re: Important for KDE 4 users: KDE 4.0.3 and KDE 4.1 trunk

    What about kdepim-4.1 in debian?

    --
    С уважением,
    Шмаров М. В.