Seeking for advice on packaging reunified upstream source - Debian

This is a discussion on Seeking for advice on packaging reunified upstream source - Debian ; Dear all, I'm the current maintainer of ZeroC Ice packages. Ice is a GPL'd CORBA-like middleware for distributed heterogeneous computing. Recently the upstream developers reunified all of the source packages into a single big tarball. Some of the packages (the ...

  1. Seeking for advice on packaging reunified upstream source

    Dear all,

    I'm the current maintainer of ZeroC Ice packages. Ice is a GPL'd
    CORBA-like middleware for distributed heterogeneous computing.

    Recently the upstream developers reunified all of the source packages
    into a single big tarball. Some of the packages (the Java5 packages)
    work well under icedtea and Sun JRE 6 but they don't work at all under
    any other Java 6 JVM distributed in Debian. Therefore they should go
    to contrib. But now there is just one source package. AFAIK IcedTea
    is entering main debian soon.

    Should I split the source package into a main and contrib part?
    Should I release binaries for the DFSG-free part and provide a simple
    way to recompile the package with the full functionality?
    Should I provide binaries in main for the Java packages generated with
    gcj (they would run fine with IcedTea)?
    Is it fine to upload a binary to contrib while the source package is in main?

    Best regards,
    Paco

    --
    Paco Moya

  2. Re: Seeking for advice on packaging reunified upstream source

    On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:06:49PM +0200, Francisco Moya wrote:
    > Should I provide binaries in main for the Java packages generated with
    > gcj (they would run fine with IcedTea)?

    I don't see a reason to not do that.

    > Is it fine to upload a binary to contrib while the source package is in main?

    Technicaly this is possible, but AFAIK the ftp team don't longer want
    this to be used.

    Bastian

    --
    A woman should have compassion.
    -- Kirk, "Catspaw", stardate 3018.2

  3. Re: Seeking for advice on packaging reunified upstream source

    On Tue Apr 01 14:26, Bastian Blank wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:06:49PM +0200, Francisco Moya wrote:
    > > Should I provide binaries in main for the Java packages generated with
    > > gcj (they would run fine with IcedTea)?

    > I don't see a reason to not do that.

    I believe this is still required to be in contrib (certainly I have
    packages meeting that description), the binaries depend on something
    outside of main to run...

    Matt
    --
    Matthew Johnson