Re: doc-debian 3.1.6 without the FAQ content (was: Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny [...]) - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: doc-debian 3.1.6 without the FAQ content (was: Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny [...]) - Debian ; On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:31:36AM +0200, Joost van Baal wrote: > Op Mon 31 Mar 2008 om 08:18:36 +0200 schreef Javier Fernandez-Sanguino: > > 2008/3/31, Joost van Baal : > > > > > > Do you have ...

  1. Re: doc-debian 3.1.6 without the FAQ content (was: Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny [...])

    On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:31:36AM +0200, Joost van Baal wrote:
    > Op Mon 31 Mar 2008 om 08:18:36 +0200 schreef Javier Fernandez-Sanguino:
    > > 2008/3/31, Joost van Baal :
    > > >
    > > > Do you have time to upload a doc-debian package without the FAQ content
    > > > within a couple of weeks? Or would you rather have me prepare such a
    > > > thing?

    > > Sure, I can handle that. Just let me know when you've finished

    > OK, I'll prepare a doc-debian package without the FAQ content. I
    > believe currently the doc-debian doc/Makefile and debian/ stuff is not
    > in any Version Control system. I'd like to use a VCS for this.
    >
    > Now, where should I put it? In SVN in ddp/doc-debian (next to
    > ddp/manuals and ddp/manpages? Or rather in ddp/manuals/doc-debian? Or
    > some other place?

    Why to make any exception for doc-debian? Other documents are packaged
    too so lets use a common directory such as packages/ parallel to
    manuals/ and with content doc-debian/debian/. There could also be a
    README file in packages/ which refers to other repositories if used
    for some other DDP packages.

    Jens

  2. Re: doc-debian 3.1.6 without the FAQ content (was: Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny [...])

    Op Tue 1 Apr 2008 om 09:51:34 +0200 schreef Jens Seidel:
    > On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:31:36AM +0200, Joost van Baal wrote:
    > > Op Mon 31 Mar 2008 om 08:18:36 +0200 schreef Javier Fernandez-Sanguino:
    > > > 2008/3/31, Joost van Baal :

    > > > Sure, I can handle that. Just let me know when you've finished

    > > OK, I'll prepare a doc-debian package without the FAQ content. I
    > > believe currently the doc-debian doc/Makefile and debian/ stuff is not
    > > in any Version Control system. I'd like to use a VCS for this.
    > >
    > > Now, where should I put it? In SVN in ddp/doc-debian (next to
    > > ddp/manuals and ddp/manpages? Or rather in ddp/manuals/doc-debian? Or
    > > some other place?

    > Why to make any exception for doc-debian? Other documents are packaged
    > too so lets use a common directory such as packages/ parallel to
    > manuals/

    joostvb@nagy:~/sv...n.debian.org/ddp/manuals% ls */debian/rules
    developers-reference/debian/rules project-history/debian/rules
    faq/debian/rules quick-reference/debian/rules
    maint-guide/debian/rules refcard/debian/rules

    So other manuals have their packaging infrastructure in manuals/*/debian/,
    not in packages/.

    > and with content doc-debian/debian/. There could also be a
    > README file in packages/ which refers to other repositories if used
    > for some other DDP packages.

    I plan to create

    manuals/doc-debian/debian/rules
    manuals/doc-debian/doc/Makefile

    etc. (Unless someone convinces me that's a bad idea.)

    Bye,

    Joost

  3. Re: doc-debian 3.1.6 without the FAQ content (was: Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny [...])

    2008/4/1, Joost van Baal :
    > I plan to create
    >
    > manuals/doc-debian/debian/rules
    > manuals/doc-debian/doc/Makefile

    Ummm.. I'm not convinced that doc-debian should be under 'manuals'.
    The documentation content of doc-debian is actually not part of it,
    it's mostly part of the web pages, so it makes no sense putting that
    content in SVN. Putting the package build stuff in SVN does make
    sense, however...

    Why not in a root-dir packages/, aside with manuals/ which would hold
    packages handled by the DDP team but which do *not* include
    documentation?

    Regards

    Javier

  4. Re: doc-debian 3.1.6 without the FAQ content (was: Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny [...])

    Op Tue 1 Apr 2008 om 01:09:34 +0200 schreef Javier Fernandez-Sanguino:
    > 2008/4/1, Joost van Baal :
    > > I plan to create
    > >
    > > manuals/doc-debian/debian/rules
    > > manuals/doc-debian/doc/Makefile

    > Ummm.. I'm not convinced that doc-debian should be under 'manuals'.
    > The documentation content of doc-debian is actually not part of it,
    > it's mostly part of the web pages, so it makes no sense putting that
    > content in SVN. Putting the package build stuff in SVN does make
    > sense, however...
    >
    > Why not in a root-dir packages/, aside with manuals/ which would hold
    > packages handled by the DDP team but which do *not* include
    > documentation?

    OK, I'll do that:

    packages/doc-debian/debian/rules
    packages/doc-debian/doc/Makefile
    manuals/...

    (I believe there were some documents shipped with doc-debian for which
    there's no automatic fetching instruction. Perhaps these could get
    added to our SVN, with a clear note stating it's _not_ the "real"
    source. We'll see how this will work out.)

    Thanks, Bye,

    Joost

+ Reply to Thread