bind9 vserver - Debian

This is a discussion on bind9 vserver - Debian ; hi all, did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup on etch? i tried the suggested source build with: --disable-linux-caps \ --disable-threads \ also building with --arch i386 on my 64 bit host did ...

  1. bind9 vserver

    hi all,

    did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    on etch?
    i tried the suggested source build with:
    --disable-linux-caps \
    --disable-threads \
    also building with --arch i386 on my 64 bit host did not help.

    but to no prevail whatsoever, i simply can not get it to start.

    my other options would be djbdns but then i seem to get a svscan
    problem, and good old bind8 that does works like a charm but has
    security concerns to consider as far as i heard.

    greetings,

    randall

  2. Re: bind9 vserver

    On 31.03.08 20:59, randall wrote:
    > did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    > on etch?
    > i tried the suggested source build with:
    > --disable-linux-caps \
    > --disable-threads \
    > also building with --arch i386 on my 64 bit host did not help.
    >
    > but to no prevail whatsoever, i simply can not get it to start.
    >
    > my other options would be djbdns but then i seem to get a svscan
    > problem, and good old bind8 that does works like a charm but has
    > security concerns to consider as far as i heard.

    did you check logs or run in debug mode to see what does it say?
    I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

  3. Re: bind9 vserver

    2008/3/31, randall :
    > hi all,
    >
    > did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    > on etch?

    yes , no problem - just did what they have on vserver wiki regarding
    bind9 (caps and stuff ) .

    regardz

  4. Re: bind9 vserver

    Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
    > On 31.03.08 20:59, randall wrote:
    >> did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    >> on etch?
    >> i tried the suggested source build with:
    >> --disable-linux-caps \
    >> --disable-threads \
    >> also building with --arch i386 on my 64 bit host did not help.
    >>
    >> but to no prevail whatsoever, i simply can not get it to start.
    >>
    >> my other options would be djbdns but then i seem to get a svscan
    >> problem, and good old bind8 that does works like a charm but has
    >> security concerns to consider as far as i heard.

    > did you check logs or run in debug mode to see what does it say?

    i guess i'm smart enough to do that, but on the other hand stupid enough
    to overlook the obvious

    here is what i did, i followed
    http://linux-vserver.org/Problematic...Etch_.284.0.29

    followed with a apt-get install -f to get the missing dependencies.

    this ends up in a hating message on the terminal
    Starting domain name service...: bind failed!

    an /etc/init.d/bind9 restart would give
    Stopping domain name service...: bindrndc: connect failed:
    127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
    failed!
    Starting domain name service...: bind failed!

    according to syslog:
    Mar 31 20:37:15 ns named[23843]: starting BIND 9.3.4 -u bind
    Mar 31 20:37:15 ns named[23843]: loading configuration from
    '/etc/bind/named.conf'

    and here's probably the obvious:
    how do you turn on the debug mode?

  5. Re: bind9 vserver

    * randall schrieb am 31.03.08 um 20:59 Uhr:
    > hi all,
    >
    > did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    > on etch?
    > i tried the suggested source build with:
    > --disable-linux-caps \
    > --disable-threads \
    > also building with --arch i386 on my 64 bit host did not help.
    >
    > but to no prevail whatsoever, i simply can not get it to start.
    >
    > my other options would be djbdns but then i seem to get a svscan
    > problem, and good old bind8 that does works like a charm but has
    > security concerns to consider as far as i heard.

    you already thought about alternatives.. how about PowerDNS?

    just my 2

    -Marc
    --
    8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134

  6. Re: bind9 vserver

    Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
    >> Starting domain name service...: bind failed!
    >>
    >> an /etc/init.d/bind9 restart would give
    >> Stopping domain name service...: bindrndc: connect failed:
    >> 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
    >> failed!
    >> Starting domain name service...: bind failed!

    > of course... the control socket must run on the virtual IP you chbind named
    > to... afaik in vserver you can't bind() to localhost (unless you run the
    > vserver on localhost)

    this i tried last week, can't remember exacltly to be honest

    >> according to syslog:
    >> Mar 31 20:37:15 ns named[23843]: starting BIND 9.3.4 -u bind
    >> Mar 31 20:37:15 ns named[23843]: loading configuration from
    >> '/etc/bind/named.conf'

    > On 31.03.08 23:09, randall wrote:
    >> and here's probably the obvious:
    >> how do you turn on the debug mode?

    > named -f -d

    mmmmm, i tried this.......
    but i did bind -f -d 5

    since named itself is no where to be found after my source install,
    which could explain a thing or two offcourse, i doubt its a bug so i
    must have done something wrong

  7. Re: bind9 vserver

    > Starting domain name service...: bind failed!
    >
    > an /etc/init.d/bind9 restart would give
    > Stopping domain name service...: bindrndc: connect failed:
    > 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
    > failed!
    > Starting domain name service...: bind failed!

    of course... the control socket must run on the virtual IP you chbind named
    to... afaik in vserver you can't bind() to localhost (unless you run the
    vserver on localhost)

    > according to syslog:
    > Mar 31 20:37:15 ns named[23843]: starting BIND 9.3.4 -u bind
    > Mar 31 20:37:15 ns named[23843]: loading configuration from
    > '/etc/bind/named.conf'

    On 31.03.08 23:09, randall wrote:
    > and here's probably the obvious:
    > how do you turn on the debug mode?

    named -f -d

    My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.

  8. Re: bind9 vserver

    Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
    > 2008/3/31, randall :
    >> hi all,
    >>
    >> did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    >> on etch?

    > yes , no problem - just did what they have on vserver wiki regarding
    > bind9 (caps and stuff ) .
    >

    > regardz

    mmm caps and stuff,

    you mean something like

    nano /etc/vservers/ns1.bcapabilities

    CAP_SYS_RESOURCE

    i overlooked this one and it seems to do the trick.

    thanks.

    any drawbacks when doing this? what does it do?

  9. Re: bind9 vserver

    randall wrote:
    > Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
    >> 2008/3/31, randall :
    >>> hi all,
    >>>
    >>> did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    >>> on etch?

    >> yes , no problem - just did what they have on vserver wiki regarding
    >> bind9 (caps and stuff ) .
    >>

    >> regardz
    >>

    > mmm caps and stuff,
    >
    > you mean something like
    >
    > nano /etc/vservers/ns1.bcapabilities
    >
    > CAP_SYS_RESOURCE
    >
    > i overlooked this one and it seems to do the trick.
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > any drawbacks when doing this? what does it do?

    that would be nano /etc/vservers/ns1/bcapabilities

    on second tought i did tried that before, however i did that After
    compiling from source so i soonly disregarded it as an option since it
    did not seem to do anything.....

    i still wonder where "named" went tough

  10. Re: bind9 vserver

    Hello Randall,

    randall wrote:
    > did anybody ever managed to get bind9 up and running in a vserver setup
    > on etch?
    > [...]

    > my other options would be djbdns but then i seem to get a svscan
    > problem [...]

    I use djbdns and I don't know exactly what you mean with "svscan
    problem" -- if you want to try djbdns I recommend runit [1]

    [1] http://packages.debian.org/etch/runit

    Best regards,
    Henrik

  11. Re: bind9 vserver

    2008/3/31, randall :
    ..

    > i still wonder where "named" went tough

    I am not keen on whole bind stuff, but for some time we were running
    bind ( not bind9 ) that i believe to be named daemon . That one wasn't
    as hard to install as bind9 and honestly - i did not feel the
    difference .

    regards

    --
    Wojciech Ziniewicz
    Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;f l