wireless puzzle, Lenovo T60, 2.6.24 - Debian

This is a discussion on wireless puzzle, Lenovo T60, 2.6.24 - Debian ; I hope that this is a reasonable place to ask this question. I have a Lenovo T60 running Debian. I recently upgraded to Lenny and because that upgrade killed direct rendering under Xorg (I'm using the ATI drivers as packaged ...

  1. wireless puzzle, Lenovo T60, 2.6.24

    I hope that this is a reasonable place to ask this question. I have a
    Lenovo T60 running Debian. I recently upgraded to Lenny and because
    that upgrade killed direct rendering under Xorg (I'm using the ATI
    drivers as packaged for Debian), I also upgraded to kernel 2.6.24
    (using the Debian package linux-image-2.6.24-1-686).

    That fixed the X problem, but my wireless setup ceased to work. The
    T60 has the Intel 3945 wireless card:

    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 1010
    Memory at edf00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
    Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 32-3f-c5-ff-ff-d2-19-00

    which in 2.6.24 is supported by the in-kernel iwl3945 driver from the
    iwlwifi project.

    The card is correctly detected by the kernel at boot:

    iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, 1.1.17ks
    iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2007 Intel Corporation
    iwl3945: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    iwl3945: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
    phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-3945-rs'

    I have a udev rewriting rule that renames the device associated with
    this card to wlan. And in dmesg I see:

    udev: renamed network interface wmaster0 to wlan

    confirming that the renaming has succeeded. So I was able just to do
    `ifup wlan' and `ifdown wlan' as needed. This worked very well.

    But not under the new kernel. I get a `no such device' message using
    either `ifup wlan' or `ifconfig wlan up'. If I do `iwconfig' I get
    this report, though:

    wlan no wireless extensions

    wlan0_rename IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=0 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    And armed with this information I can:

    ifconfig wlan0_rename up
    iwconfig wlan0_rename essid WHATEVER
    dhclient wlan0_rename

    and connect.

    So this is more a puzzle than a severe problem, but does anyone know
    why the udev renaming rule doesn't play well with the new driver (or
    at least I assume that this is an issue with the new driver)? Or why
    the device can be addressed by way of the strange `wlan0_rename'? Or
    how I might get back to my nice old functionality?

    Thanks very much for any pointers or advice,

    Jim

  2. Re: wireless puzzle, Lenovo T60, 2.6.24

    Hi Jim,

    This is an increasingly common occurrence as people are migrating from the
    etch kernel with the horrendously non-free ipw3945 driver to the shiny new
    iwlwifi driver that is in the Debian kernels as of 2.6.23.

    The cure is to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules and remove the
    line that is associating your wireless device with the ipw3945 driver.

    Further instructions are at:

    http://www.nanonanonano.net/linux/debian/ipw2iwl

    or

    http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi#head-...dab5f349bc70f6

    > udev: renamed network interface wmaster0 to wlan

    BTW you don't want to rename wmaster0 -- just leave that one as it is. The
    device to use is the wlan0 device.

    For anyone else who is curious, it seems that network-manager doesn't like the
    wlan0_rename device and refuses to work with it. Fixing up
    your /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules file will allow
    network-manager to once again manage your wireless device.

    cheers
    Stuart

    --
    Stuart Prescott www.nanoNANOnano.net

  3. Re: Re: wireless puzzle, Lenovo T60, 2.6.24

    Stuart Prescott wrote:

    |> This is an increasingly common occurrence as people are migrating
    |> from the etch kernel with the horrendously non-free ipw3945 driver
    |> to the shiny new iwlwifi driver that is in the Debian kernels as of
    |> 2.6.23.

    Thank you very much for this and for the very informative links you
    provided. Very much a step in a good and right direction, I agree.

    I continue to have some difficulties, though. Even with the renaming
    fixed, the ifup script does not work (with wlan0), and I have to go
    through the ifconfig, iwconfig. dhclient routine. More seriously, the
    link does not survive a suspend-resume cycle (it always did before).

    But I imagine that things will improve ...

    Thanks again,

    Jim

  4. Re: wireless puzzle, Lenovo T60, 2.6.24

    Hi Jim,

    Progress, then

    > I continue to have some difficulties, though. Even with the renaming
    > fixed, the ifup script does not work (with wlan0), and I have to go
    > through the ifconfig, iwconfig. dhclient routine.

    I use network-manager for managing my wireless connection as I find that it is
    more suited to travelling between different wireless networks that I
    inevitably do, so I don't have experience with this chip and configuration
    through /e/n/interfaces.

    I do notice on the debian wiki page for the iwlwifi driver that there is a
    config snippet for /e/n/interfaces which includes a pre-up command to make
    the wireless card wake up and cause it to do an initial scan or association
    or something. That might help with that problem.

    http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

    Also, check that you have the right names for the device in /e/n/interfaces --
    perhaps posting that file along with the output of "ifconfig -a" "iwconfig"
    and "ifup wlan0" would be helpful.

    > More seriously, the
    > link does not survive a suspend-resume cycle (it always did before).

    Well, the comment about that config snippet on the debian wiki page says that
    such a configuration helps bring the connection back up after a
    suspend-to-ram, so that might solve your problem too.

    I have also found that blacklisting the module for suspend (how you do so
    depends on what suspend wrappers you are using) helps as it then gets removed
    just before suspend and reinserted just after resume. I've also found
    (sometimes) that doing an extra "modprobe -r iwl3945; modprobe iwl3945" some
    time after resume helps. Once again, the suspend scripts usually have some
    way of hooking in such calls, perhaps by dropping the script into /etc/init.d
    and calling it a "service to be restarted".

    But as you said... things will improve on their own with time too

    Happy hunting.
    Stuart

    --
    Stuart Prescott www.nanoNANOnano.net

  5. Re: Re: wireless puzzle, Lenovo T60, 2.6.24

    Stuart Prescott wrote:

    |> Progress, then

    Progress indeed.

    |> I do notice on the debian wiki page for the iwlwifi driver that
    |> there is a config snippet for /e/n/interfaces which includes a a
    |> pre-up command to make the wireless card wake up and cause it to do
    |> do an initial scan or association or something. That might help
    |> with that problem.

    Yes,and why didn't I find this myself? It didn't work for me initially
    because I didn't have the iproute package installed (which provides the
    ip command), but once I installed that, I was indeed able to use the
    ifup script again. This is great; thank you.

    It does not yet help with the suspend/resume problem, however, and that
    problem does seem to be specific to the iwl3945 driver, since the wired
    interface shows no such problem.

    Thanks a lot for all your help.

    Jim