Debian kernel version for lenny? - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian kernel version for lenny? - Debian ; Hi I'm the maintainer of kernel-patch-openvz (soon linux-patch-openvz) and I would like to know which version of the linux kernel that you think will be part of Lenny? The reason is that the porting process for a specific kernel version ...

  1. Debian kernel version for lenny?

    Hi

    I'm the maintainer of kernel-patch-openvz (soon linux-patch-openvz)
    and I would like to know which version of the linux kernel that
    you think will be part of Lenny?

    The reason is that the porting process for a specific kernel version
    is rather high for upstream, because Debian and pristine kernel
    do have rather lot of differences. The openvz kernel patch is also
    very big (~ 700kB).

    Thanks in advance.

    Best regards,

    // Ola

    / opal@debian.org Annebergsslingan 37 \
    | ola@inguza.com 654 65 KARLSTAD |
    | http://inguza.com/ +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
    \ gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9 /

  2. Re: Debian kernel version for lenny?

    hello

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:14:51AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:

    > I'm the maintainer of kernel-patch-openvz (soon linux-patch-openvz)
    > and I would like to know which version of the linux kernel that
    > you think will be part of Lenny?

    why is it not linked to linux-module-extra?

    > The reason is that the porting process for a specific kernel version
    > is rather high for upstream, because Debian and pristine kernel
    > do have rather lot of differences. The openvz kernel patch is also
    > very big (~ 700kB).

    i saw that openvz patch comes quite late too after upstream stable
    release.

    well porting is the oot trouble, but the openvz do very cool cleanups
    along the namespace additions. although i kinda doubt that it will
    be ready for lenny release. the next trouble is that vserver left
    tracking mainline since 2.6.22.

    we have not settled for the lenny version it is certainly > 2.6.24.
    Most probable candidate is 2.6.26.

    best regards

    --
    maks

  3. Re: Debian kernel version for lenny?

    Hi

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:40:51PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
    > hello
    >
    > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:14:51AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm the maintainer of kernel-patch-openvz (soon linux-patch-openvz)
    > > and I would like to know which version of the linux kernel that
    > > you think will be part of Lenny?

    > why is it not linked to linux-module-extra?

    What is linux-module-extra? I have not heard about it before.

    > > The reason is that the porting process for a specific kernel version
    > > is rather high for upstream, because Debian and pristine kernel
    > > do have rather lot of differences. The openvz kernel patch is also
    > > very big (~ 700kB).

    > i saw that openvz patch comes quite late too after upstream stable
    > release.

    Yes that is probably the case. This is the main reason behind my question.
    Upstream is the one that ask me. They want to know where to focus
    their resources.

    > well porting is the oot trouble, but the openvz do very cool cleanups
    > along the namespace additions. although i kinda doubt that it will
    > be ready for lenny release. the next trouble is that vserver left

    We successfully managed it last release, but it was not that easy to convince
    the release managers.

    > tracking mainline since 2.6.22.

    Ahh I was not aware of that. Do you know if Micah is working on that?

    > we have not settled for the lenny version it is certainly > 2.6.24.
    > Most probable candidate is 2.6.26.

    Ok, thanks that is really good to know.

    Best regards,

    // Ola

    > best regards
    >
    > --
    > maks

    / ola@inguza.com Annebergsslingan 37 \
    | opal@debian.org 654 65 KARLSTAD |
    | http://inguza.com/ Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
    \ gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9 /

  4. Re: Debian kernel version for lenny?

    Ola Lundqvist wrote:
    > What is linux-module-extra? I have not heard about it before.

    conglomeration package for oot module packages, see
    http://blog.daniel-baumann.ch/2006/1...ules-packaging

    --
    Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
    Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net